My Views After Test Driving RWD & 4S Both today!

soamz

First Name
Soumendra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2022 arriving this week
Country flag
So, Im in the market to buy the Taycan and went for the test drive today.
I tested both RWD and 4S.
Instantly, RWD was a turn-off, and I couldn't justify the double price of a Tesla at all.
I currently drive a Tesla Model 3 Long Range 2021.

So, I drove the 4S then and yes, that's when I could feel the Porsche feel and agility.
Instant love!
I read in the forums, that RWD steering is purer than 4S, but I felt 4S steering was a match made in heaven!

Here are some feedback -
1. Rear camera is trash, with very poor implementation.

2. Wireless CarPlay did not work, not sure why. I was in a 2021 car. I guess car play is wireless for 2021 and 2022 cars, right? You don't need to connect the cable.

3. The biggest turn-off was - there is no one pedal drive mode in Taycan. Tesla has it and its called creep/hold mode and it just makes the drive so so so so good and easy. Porsche doesn't have it, so you have to keep on using the brakes every now and then. I found this very weird. as 4S is quick and without one pedal drive creep hold mode, the brake pads will die soon, as you always have to brake again and again every 10 seconds maybe.
I just hope Porsche releases this mode to all the owners via a software update. Is there a place or email, where we can email them some features feedback?

4. The electric sound addon is almost not noticeable at all in RWD, so never get that addon if you order the RWD. But it's quite noticeable in 4S. But then again, 99.999% of drivers would be listening to music while driving, so no one would ever hear that electric sound, which is very very negligible. I would not get the electric sound addon. Even with that option off, the car is already making some sounds, and it's nice and subtle.

5. My final feedback to convince my wife was I need a Porsche, which I can customize to my own needs and I don't want to be driving a minimal computer like
a tesla. The feel when you sit inside a taycan with leather all around is epic good. I just wish I won't regret spending 2x price than my current tesla which does everything 100% perfect already.

6. The car which I test drove - did not have HUD or massaging seats, so I couldn't try them, but I think it would be great. Maybe existing owners of Massaging option and HUD option can tell better.

7. The car is big, so I guess the real axle steering thing might help, but it's just so expensive and I think, will skip it, as no point paying for an option that will only help in parking spots.

8. Now the final decision was to sit and finish the final config today. But Porsche's April production line is full and the dealership doesn't have any future allocation details.
Now Im worried, if I pay the deposit and don't get the allocation for April may, then I will be very sad to wait long. So, need to decide!
Sponsored

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Some input - again ALWAYS personal choices/prefernces involved so most def not a critique :)

RE - in order:

1. Not the greatest but works fine, not as good as prior M4 but honestly don't get the angst about this.

2. CarPlay works 100% of the time for me - just lucky(?), don't know - wireless, little to no lag - mine a Nov 2021 build of a 2022 CT4S.

3. Your biggest turn off is my biggest want - hate one pedal driving and most def influenced my decision re Porsche :)

4. 100% on electric sound - gimmick and remarkably annoying after one use - turned it off and stays that way!

5. Leather and build quality excellent in the Porsche - but the main reason I want a Porsche is handling and integrated performance - superb.

6. Again agree - HUD is essential for me and massage a nice to have (really only used on longer trips). Most naysayers on HUD invariably have little to no prior experience using it (imo).

7. Could not disagree more :) - the rear axle steering was a bit of a revelation to me - never had it in a car before and have found it amazingly useful.

Don't envy new buyers right now with supply chain chaos - I def got lucky there it seems.

Best of luck,
Cheers, C.

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
Rear wheel steering - I love this option and makes any slow speed maneuvers easier - not sure how much is the esteering, but just feels like a smaller\more agile car.

One pedal driving - this is a porsche and not transportation :) I use regen all the time to give it more of the feel like my manual 911 when i let off the gas.. the Auto regen is also nice when in traffic as it will do the work to hold how far you are. Overall i want to drive the car vs the other way around!

RWD - i drove one at the LA PEC with steel springs and think the air suspension is a big plus in how the car manages its weight. I wonder if that is the diff you felt? We have a CT4, so the slow one, but bigger battery and air suspension which is a combo i love - i dont miss the extra speed.

Fit and finish no comparison.

phil.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
3. The biggest turn-off was - there is no one pedal drive mode in Taycan. Tesla has it and its called creep/hold mode and it just makes the drive so so so so good and easy. Porsche doesn't have it, so you have to keep on using the brakes every now and then. I found this very weird. as 4S is quick and without one pedal drive creep hold mode, the brake pads will die soon, as you always have to brake again and again every 10 seconds maybe.
I just hope Porsche releases this mode to all the owners via a software update. Is there a place or email, where we can email them some features feedback?
Did you turn auto-recuperation on?
i’m using breaks very rarely even if I still don’t trust “him” (=computer) completely yet.

OP
OP
soamz

soamz

First Name
Soumendra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Country flag
No.
Is it something we can switch on once and its always on by default after that ?
Is it like one pedal driving feel like in Tesla ?

Basically, I dont want the car to coast and roll until and unless Im really putting my foot on the accelerator.
So, the moment I lift my foot, the car has to brake and get slow.
IT just makes the drive so safe and nice.

But while driving the 4S today, I was most of the time nervous already, as its fast and it rolls even if you dont accelerate - and you have brake every second. Got very annoying.
Porsche should have given the option like Tesla has given it directly - CREEP/ROLL/HOLD.

So, every kind of driver can tune it as per their own preference, because its expensive and not cheap!

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
@soamz : We were talking about that a couple of times.
in short:
1. Recuperation: when you release acceleration pedal, it slows down, similar as ICE with manual gear.
2. Auto-recuperation: when you become closer to car infront od you, speed will be adjusted.

By default, recup is set to off, but you can turn it with one click on button on the steering wheel.

it’s not one pedal driving as you are familiar at Tesla, but I prefer Taycan anyway.
actually, there’s no money in the world, that I would own Tesla.

Last edited:

bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
No.

Basically, I dont want the car to coast and roll until and unless Im really putting my foot on the accelerator.

But while driving the 4S today, I was most of the time nervous already, as its fast and it rolls even if you dont accelerate - and you have brake every second. Got very annoying.
Porsche should have given the option like Tesla has given it directly - CREEP/ROLL/HOLD.

So, every kind of driver can tune it as per their own preference, because its expensive and not cheap!
When you do apply the brake in most cases you are not really using the brake pads to slow you down but it is done with the motors while producing regen at the same time. So it can be a hassle to have to reach your foot over to apply the brake but at least you can know that you are not necessarily wearing down the brake pads. It is only on hard stops that the pads are used.

porscheguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TTS CT
Country flag
3. …you have to keep on using the brakes every now and then. I found this very weird. as 4S is quick and without one pedal drive creep hold mode, the brake pads will die soon, as you always have to brake again and again every 10 seconds maybe.
Hey buddy—I’ve read this concern in some of your other posts about a missing “Hold” function. I want to be very clear and put this to rest as it seems you’ve misunderstood how the Taycan actually works. Your concern about wearing down brake pads due to having to continuously hold the brake is not true:

As you drive, your foot is on the accelerator pedal. When you want to stop, you press the brake pedal until your speed reaches zero. Once you hit zero, you simply press your foot down another centimeter or so for a split second and the car then enters ”Hold” feature instantly. You can then take your foot off the brake and the Taycan will not move or creep. It is so easy. If you come to a stop that you know will be very brief, you may not want to put it in Hold, so this implementation of the Taycan Hold feature allows you to decide which stop scenarios you actually want to Hold. For a longer stop light, I like to Hold. Once in Hold, when you’re ready to drive, you simply press the accelerator and you take off very smoothly. Remember, most of the normal braking is controlled electronically with recuperation, so your brake pads are not engaged or wearing out.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
When discussed previously - most Taycan owners don't want one pedal driving...... So don't go emailing them. ?

At others stated. You should have been showed the regen button and try toggling between off / on / auto.

Something like 95% of braking is done via regen, so you wont need to be replacing brakes.

Deleted member 6348

No.

Porsche does excellent brake blending. You may be hitting the pedal, but that doesn't mean brake pads are doing the work. Regeneration is responsible for much of a Taycan slowing down.

You're not going to see one pedal driving from Porsche, because they consider coasting an advantage when it comes to efficiency -- they're not wrong. One pedal driving has its detractors and as noted above, it's a barrier to adoption by people accustomed to traditional gasoline powered cars.

thinkbusiness

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Instantly, RWD was a turn-off, and I couldn't justify the double price of a Tesla at all.

So, I drove the 4S then and yes, that's when I could feel the Porsche feel and agility.
Instant love!
I read in the forums, that RWD steering is purer than 4S, but I felt 4S steering was a match made in heaven!

Here are some feedback -

2. Wireless CarPlay did not work, not sure why. I was in a 2021 car. I guess car play is wireless for 2021 and 2022 cars, right? You don't need to connect the cable.

4. The electric sound addon is almost not noticeable at all in RWD, so never get that addon if you order the RWD. But it's quite noticeable in 4S. But then again, 99.999% of drivers would be listening to music while driving, so no one would ever hear that electric sound, which is very very negligible. I would not get the electric sound addon. Even with that option off, the car is already making some sounds, and it's nice and subtle.

5. My final feedback to convince my wife was I need a Porsche, which I can customize to my own needs and I don't want to be driving a minimal computer like
a tesla. The feel when you sit inside a taycan with leather all around is epic good. I just wish I won't regret spending 2x price than my current tesla which does everything 100% perfect already.

6. The car which I test drove - did not have HUD or massaging seats, so I couldn't try them, but I think it would be great. Maybe existing owners of Massaging option and HUD option can tell better.

7. The car is big, so I guess the real axle steering thing might help, but it's just so expensive and I think, will skip it, as no point paying for an option that will only help in parking spots.

8. Now the final decision was to sit and finish the final config today. But Porsche's April production line is full and the dealership doesn't have any future allocation details.
Now Im worried, if I pay the deposit and don't get the allocation for April may, then I will be very sad to wait long. So, need to decide!
The 4S is 20K more expensive. To me the difference is not worth this. I’m sure I would love the turbo S as well but 100K is about the amount I want to spend on a car.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6348

Instant love!

Here are some feedback -

Other comments...
  • Rear view is fine. Surround view is where it's at.
  • Sport Electric sound provides feedback when you're driving. It's a subtle and very brilliant thing on Porsche's part. I am surprised how much a difference it makes in the experience. If you don't want it, you don't have to option it.
  • Yes, expensive cars should feel expensive. Your Tesla does not do "everything 100% perfect".
  • You don't need RAS.
  • Commit and do it already.

OP
OP
soamz

soamz

First Name
Soumendra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Once you hit zero, you simply press your foot down another centimeter or so for a split second and the car then enters ”Hold” feature instantly.
Thats auto HOLD feature, that I know it works.
What I mean is - ONE PEDAL DRIVING - means when you lift the foot from accelerator - the car automatically starts to brake.
Just no need to touch the brake at all - it automatically starts to brake - when you lift foot from accelerator - this is what I mean -

https://share.getcloudapp.com/X6u8g4rk

So Tesla gives you 3 modes - CREEP / ROLL / HOLD.

What I mean is HOLD - where you never ever have to use brakes - unless its an emergency!
Taycan by default is in CREEP mode - means its always moving ahead - and will only stop when you really touch the brakes.

I hope I was able to explain my grief :)

OP
OP
soamz

soamz

First Name
Soumendra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Country flag
When discussed previously - most Taycan owners don't want one pedal driving...... So don't go emailing them. ?

At others stated. You should have been showed the regen button and try toggling between off / on / auto.

Something like 95% of braking is done via regen, so you wont need to be replacing brakes.
Im going to showroom tomorrow - so I will try switching on the REGEN thing.
I hope it stays on forever, once I set it to on, unless I switch it off manually.

Like I hope the car remembers the settings, and doesnt want me to manually switch on every time I get into the car.

But first thing is to see, if thats really stopping the car, without wanting me to brake :D

soul.electrified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 4S convertible, LX570, CT4 (pending)
Country flag
No.

It is easy to judge as a keyboard warrior and I certainly don't want to step on anyone's toes, but are you sure the Taycan is "THE" EV for you? There are lots of posts in this forum that compare Porsche v. Tesla and the gist is that Porsche purposefully designs the Taycan differently to focus on the driving experience. My main reason to pursue a Taycan is that it feels close to my 911 and would allow me to have that experience year round (I winterize my 911). If options, customization, and creature comforts/leather are the focus, I'd probably also test drive the EQS. Either way, I dont think you can go wrong with the Taycan, just want to make sure you won't regret your decision - Just my 2 cents
Sponsored