My Views After Test Driving RWD & 4S Both today!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
but Porsche’s software -well let’s just say I have a hard time determining which is worse - Porsche’s software efforts or Tesla’s brakes - insert face palm here…:facepalm:

both companies excel, priortize, and focus on different things - Porsche would never release a vehicle with the Model 3’s brakes, and Tesla would have OTA updates to fix Porsche’s software in a matter of weeks (if they let it out in the first place)

they are both soo good and soo bad at such different things its just really really hard to compare the two vehicles/companies

I’m reminded of Tesla’s brilliance every time I attempt to use an EA charging station and barely get to work in less than 1/2 a day’s effort with the help of EA technical support on the phone, and I miss my Porsche everytime I push any Tesla even slightly on anything mechanical…LOL watching Porsche do OTA software updates by sending out eMail’s to take your car into the dealership for a 2 day software update - OMG Tesla must be laughing their asses off while in traction in a hospital bed from the failed brakes on the Plaid…

it’s a good thing Tesla has one pedal driving - because if you actually engaged the brakes on a daily basis they would not last long at all - Tesla’s designed their car so that their brakes are only there for when you can’t regen your way to stop…actually use them frequently and they will fail you and your expectations.

so so so different, with different priorities and focuses…
Sponsored

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Lovely photo!
Bro, Im just putting my point to the front, nothing else :)
I want a safe ride, thats all.
Thats what the brakes are for ? . That being said, others have mentioned how auto regen works if thats your thing but I’d just make sure you add adaptive cruise. Long motorway trips are when you are more likely to be less engaged, or value just cruising, and that is fulfilling all that power/distance modulation for you. Short trips, if you do decide Taycan, wow enjoy driving it as a Porsche.

I’d also add that having had an iPace previously, I had that set to high regen (not as powerful as Teslas but pretty strong) for most of the time I had the car. I did this because most reviewers have decided thats how it should be and so did it uncritically . Yes I enjoyed lifting off and trying to judge if would need brake pedal at all etc but I then switched to low regen in anticipation of the Taycan. Few days in I didn’t miss high at all, preferred low on motorway and was more engaged with the driving of the car. Think you’d soon switch from your Tesla muscle memory to Taycan muscle memory. Nothing to stop you switching back in a few years when you’ve had your driving fun.

AV7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
one example of the excessive performance standards Porsche designs to is their brake test.

_ALL_ porsche’s (all makes and models) must pass a brake test:
ummm - do this with a model 3 performance and the factory brakes will melt/fail by the 5th trial - by the 2nd trial for the Plaid…honestly - take a Model 3 to a high rate of speed on a private road sometime and then really really lay into the brakes - do that multiple times with no pause -and by the 3rd or 4th trial you will have _NO_ brakes - OMG - it’s soooooo bad.

Tesla is quick, but it’s not “fast” - the distinction being it lacks depth of speed - because it can’t maintain it or repeat it with any regularity and will suffer both mechnical, software and electronic failures in repeated and modest trials - none of my 6 Tesla’s can demonstrate _ANY_ performance beyond a 1/4 mile or for any amount of time beyond 1 or 2 laps with out a predictable, forseeable failure of multiple factory components - Happily for Tesla and their owners street driving characteristics and stop light races are not that taxing on a vehicle, so their design standard meet the requirements of the product - but if you push their products they melt like wet tissue paper during a hurricane…

Porsche un-necessarily designs to a higher standard, they charge $$$ for it - and 99% of their owners will NEVER tap those capabilities, but should they be necessary the product will not fail you like my Tesla’s have on several occasions (like flat bedding a car home with no brakes after 5 laps at a 3 mile track).

Porsche is the higher quality product and yes it is in ways that probably don’t matter, unless you go looking. And they unabashedly charge for that and few if any people actually understand what it takes to deliver a vehicle of Porsche’s quality - but I can sort out fact from fiction in less than 3 laps at any race track - and 98% of all cars sold fail miserably if you push them to any degree…Tesla fails often and spectacularly - but it sadly better than most cars in it’s actual class - but if you push beyond it’s class ever so slightly - well ROFL they have a long ways to go and the problems they have can not be fixed with OTA software update.
Totally love reading your posts, some great pointers that I'll have to borrow! :)

Abe

First Name
Abdallah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
99.99% of owners will use the Taycan on the road and public streets only. Hardly 1 our of 100 maybe be taking it to the track or for racing.
From this comment alone I can safely say that the Taycan is not for you. I won't repeat what everyone else already said, but I would highly suggest that you check out the Merc EQS before committing. I think you would like it a lot more than the Taycan.

OP
OP
soamz

soamz

First Name
Soumendra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2022 arriving this week
Country flag
Tested the RWD just now again at the showroom with the REGEN ON OFF AUTO.
Seems just to have get used to it and live with it.
It exactly feels like a ICE car thing, the ON basically doesnt decelerate or slowly stop at all.
have to use the brakes always

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Is it like one pedal driving feel like in Tesla ?

Porsche should have given the option like Tesla has given it directly - CREEP/ROLL/HOLD.
Have MS90D with 1 pedal. I also liked it and thought I would miss it. Now that I drive Taycan for 1.5 years: Hate, hate, hate 1 pedal.

Why? Because it is stupid lots of work while driving. Who on earth came up with that nonsense? The reason: Some car companies could not engineer blended breaking, so they dumped the recup onto the go pedal.

Anyway, the natural state of a car is moving, not standing still. In the Taycan hit the go pedal, reach required speed, let go and enjoy the ride. Priceless! :)

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
Porsche is likely still not for everybody. Period.
Using the brake pedal is the essence of the Taycan with many various reasons.
Other threads fulfilled this agony far enough.

356B

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
9114s
As for brake pads, as others have said, you will hardly use the pads. Regen is there for 95% of your braking. I did a rally with PCA on the back roads to West Virginia. At each stop, all the other participants (i was the only Taycan) were astounded that my brake rotors were ambient temperature and my wheels had no brake pad dust.

As for one pedal, a work around is to put the car in cruise control when stopped. It defaults to 25mph. When you drive with the accelerator at up to normal speeds (i haven't tried high speed), the car will act in a pseudo one-pedal manner, and slow down more aggressively trying to take you back to 25 mph. As soon as you brake, you will disable cruise control. But it is just a work-around.

My personal taste is for Taycan to perform like a Porsche, vice like a Tesla or other EV. I can't picture myself one-peddling around a curve. Normal regen feels more like engine braking and when I want to slow down, I prefer deliberate braking.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
99.99% of owners will use the Taycan on the road and public streets only. Hardly 1 our of 100 maybe
My experience as a Porsche owner and club member since 1998: that number is a lot higher. I would estimate 20-40% of owners track or autocross their Porsches.

OP
OP
soamz

soamz

First Name
Soumendra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2022 arriving this week
Country flag
when going fast, you have to keep an additional safety margin from the car in front
This is exactly where I felt unsafe after test driving it.
Like spending a fortune and then not feeling safe while driving - because have to brake hard to stop from 100 to 0 if someone cuts through your way. Very dangerous.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Like spending a fortune and then not feeling safe while driving - because have to brake hard to stop from 100 to 0 if someone cuts through your way. Very dangerous.
So the way cars have always worked is very dangerous? Good to know.

AV7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
That's a strong statement, never felt unsafe in a porsche, quite the opposite. Is it the car or the driver?

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
I wonder if the OP is being purposefully obtuse to drive (free) traffic to his YouTube channel?

Braking is very dangerous unless a computer does it for you...

I would stop biting and let this thread fall off.
Sponsored