My Views After Test Driving RWD & 4S Both today!

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
did I say that tracking a taycan cannot be done?
I said that the car isn't as well suited for the track as most other porsches are
Sponsored

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
You sure?
The driver in the video is a well known racing driver in the UK
You do know that a track day involves running more than one or two laps right?

You might rely on someone like Daveo who’s actually tried to track day a Taycan.

Bazza

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne hybrid V6 (Taycan on order)
Country flag
did I say that tracking a taycan cannot be done?
I said that the car isn't as well suited for the track as most other porsches are
Why not?
You need to give a reason

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Im going to showroom tomorrow - so I will try switching on the REGEN thing.
I hope it stays on forever, once I set it to on, unless I switch it off manually.
Long time Tesla customer here. Porsche regen is not he same as Tesla. IMO it's better, because it is 5x stronger (up to 260KW) and drives the same regardless of battery state of charge or temperature, BUT it does this via the brake pedal blending, not via letting go of the accelerator (which Porsche has, but it's hardly noticeable if you're used to a Tesla - comparable to Tesla regen when the Tesla has a cold battery).

Bazza

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne hybrid V6 (Taycan on order)
Country flag
You do know that a track day involves running more than one or two laps right?

You might rely on someone like Daveo who’s actually tried to track day a Taycan.
What’s stopping a Taycan doing more than one or two laps (at least until the battery runs out of juice)??

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So, Im in the market to buy the Taycan and went for the test drive today.
I tested both RWD and 4S.
Instantly, RWD was a turn-off, and I couldn't justify the double price of a Tesla at all.
I currently drive a Tesla Model 3 Long Range 2021.
I think which Taycan trim you'll like on a test drive will depend on what you drive right now, as going down in power capabilities seems like a let down. I drive a Model S with Ludicrous (not Plaid) so when I punched the accelerator of the 4S on the highway, it was a little underwhelming, hence I'm still waiting for a Turbo (could have had a 4S last year). You were comparing to a Model 3 LR, hence your disappointment in the RWD test drive, but happiness with the 4S. Be happy you're not driving a Plaid, as all current Taycan trims would feel underpowered. ;)

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
What’s stopping a Taycan doing more than one or two laps (at least until the battery runs out of juice)??
I don’t know how many laps he made, but I think the issue @daveo4EV ran into was power limiting due to battery temperature. I think there’s a thread or at least some posts on here about it somewhere.

I thought I read or watched that they made changes to the GTS for this, but I could be wrong. ?‍♂

herminal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
Country flag
the weight.. On a track you want no weight ?

If I remember, Shmee did 2 laps on the nordschleife and that was also it for the battery.. battery is also getting too hot.. limiting power..

I wouldn’t recommend it… drive 10 laps and you probably have a serious bill too pay if it’s still running at all

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think which Taycan trim you'll like on a test drive will depend on what you drive right now, as going down in power capabilities seems like a let down. I drive a Model S with Ludicrous (not Plaid) so when I punched the accelerator of the 4S on the highway, it was a little underwhelming, hence I'm still waiting for a Turbo (could have had a 4S last year).
So you compared the 4S acceleration on the freeway (ie not launch mode) to the ‘wait ten minutes until the Tesla’s battery heats up to temp, drop it in launch mode, then launch it twice until it loses power’ Ludicrous mode acceleration, and based upon that, you concluded the 4S was underwhelming?

Brilliant.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So you compared the 4S acceleration on the freeway (ie not launch mode) to the ‘wait ten minutes until the Tesla’s battery heats up to temp, drop it in launch mode, then launch it twice until it loses power’ Ludicrous mode acceleration, and based upon that, you concluded the 4S was underwhelming?

Brilliant.
Not even close. I never used launch mode (not interested in using launch control in a Taycan either). Simply compared pedal to the metal on a highway to what I experience every day in a Tesla. 4S just doesn't have as much acceleration as Ludicrous, non-launch-mode, non-battery pre-heat (which Tesla calls Ludicrous+). I'm not saying it's bad, it's just less than what I'm used to. IT was similar to my wife's regular Model S which I occasionally drive. Also, the Tesla battery performance is totally fine for a daily driver or even road tripping. Outside the track I've only ever had power limited due to battery overheating a few times when doing some very spirited driving over a mountain pass - but even then, it comes back relatively quickly (worst I experienced was under a minute, usually just a few seconds).

herminal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
Country flag
Not even close. I never used launch mode (not interested in using launch control in a Taycan either). Simply compared pedal to the metal on a highway to what I experience every day in a Tesla. 4S just doesn't have as much acceleration as Ludicrous, non-launch-mode, non-battery pre-heat (which Tesla calls Ludicrous+). I'm not saying it's bad, it's just less than what I'm used to. IT was similar to my wife's regular Model S which I occasionally drive. Also, the Tesla battery performance is totally fine for a daily driver or even road tripping. Outside the track I've only ever had power limited due to battery overheating a few times when doing some very spirited driving over a mountain pass - but even then, it comes back relatively quickly (worst I experienced was under a minute, usually just a few seconds).
Don’t you feel the front wheels scrambling for traction on a model s ?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Don’t you feel the front wheels scrambling for traction on a model s ?
Sometimes when accelerating while turning with the suspension not in low. Definitely never during highway acceleration.

andyd

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Mclaren 570GT, Cayenne
Country flag
I agree. After 22,000 miles my brake discs look new.

Porsche does excellent brake blending. You may be hitting the pedal, but that doesn't mean brake pads are doing the work. Regeneration is responsible for much of a Taycan slowing down.

You're not going to see one pedal driving from Porsche, because they consider coasting an advantage when it comes to efficiency -- they're not wrong. One pedal driving has its detractors and as noted above, it's a barrier to adoption by people accustomed to traditional gasoline powered cars.

ukleinschmidt

First Name
Uwe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Did you turn auto-recuperation on?
i’m using breaks very rarely even if I still don’t trust “him” (=computer) completely yet.
Yes one pedal driving is possible in auto recuperation
Sponsored

Reactions: B61