gab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ MY21
Country flag
Hello everyone,

new Taycan enthusiast here :)

I am struggling deciding if I should save a few $ and buy a MY20 (Dec), or wait until August for a new MY21.

The MY20 4S I have found at the dealer has almost everything that I need and is basically new (4.000 km), but the amount of money I can save is not huge (~7% ... this is how it works here in Denmark, unfortunately...). I am unsure if such an amount is enough to justify buying an "old" model...

I have done some research online but, apart from the 22 kw AC option, I couldn't find any other difference. Does anyone know more about the differences between the two models, and if buying last year's one may be not the ideal option? My plan is to resell it in 2-3 years, in case this matters.

Thanks!
Sponsored

bangersandmash

First Name
bib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Alpina B3S, Opel Corsa electric
Country flag
Well mine is 2020 and only has 1,300 Km so 4000 is loads, for 7% I would just get a new one.

torx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think with a used one you would expect about 20% off. However considering they are in high demand I'm sure some used ones are more expensive than factory order. I would go for a new one if you can wait.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Close but no.cigar ?
True, mine is a whole year older and I have one year more of smirk lines and internal hemorrhages from all the launches in that year....

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
Best to my knowldge, MY21 is built Nov 2020 onwards.

Some new features available (HUD, Plug & Charge, …), but many availabe via software update for MY20 (battery friendly charging, improved accel etc.)
If you can save relevant $$s, go for the cheaper option.

ThomasDK

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW I3
Country flag
Hej
Tilmeld dig danske Taycan ejere, der er vi ca 50 ejere af Taycan i Danmark
Hej
Thomas

OP
OP
gab

gab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ MY21
Country flag
Nothing wrong with the MY20.
After the update it's practically a MY21.
Aren't there any "hardware" differences that make MY20 obsolete? I read something about smarter charging that requires a different charging plug, and also something regarding OTA updates that don't work on MY20.

I think with a used one you would expect about 20% off. However considering they are in high demand I'm sure some used ones are more expensive than factory order. I would go for a new one if you can wait.
Yeah, I would expect a 20% too... but Denmark is a tricky beast with regards to the cost of cars. On top of paying an enormous amount of additional taxes at purchase (the 4S I am looking at is 170.000 USD + 57.000 USD in options... compare it with the price of the same car anywhere else... ? ), the car dealers keep the prices of the used cars high if there is high demand. Here is basically impossible to find a used Taycan, so they don't discount it too much.

Best to my knowldge, MY21 is built Nov 2020 onwards.

Some new features available (HUD, Plug & Charge, …), but many availabe via software update for MY20 (battery friendly charging, improved accel etc.)
If you can save relevant $$s, go for the cheaper option.
The one from Dec 2020 that I am looking at has HUD. Does this mean that it is a MY21? Wasn't HUD available on MY20 too?

OP
OP
gab

gab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ MY21
Country flag
Hej
Tilmeld dig danske Taycan ejere, der er vi ca 50 ejere af Taycan i Danmark
Hej
Thomas
Hey Thomas - I am actually Italian, relocated to DK a few years ago and my Danish is not amazing :)

But thanks for the tip. I will definitely sign up as soon as I have my car!

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Aren't there any "hardware" differences that make MY20 obsolete? I read something about smarter charging that requires a different charging plug, and also something regarding OTA updates that don't work on MY20.
"Obsolete"...lol.
MY21 has indeed some more options like HUD, Auto Parkassist and some other software things (disable RWS when on snow chains).
But technically it's the same car, same parts.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
"Obsolete"...lol.
MY21 has indeed some more options like HUD, Auto Parkassist and some other software things (disable RWS when on snow chains).
The disable snow chains thing on mine disappeared during our heaviest snowfall in a while a month back. Not sure if it is still a requirement but on my MY21 I had it one day and the next it was gone.

OP
OP
gab

gab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ MY21
Country flag
"Obsolete"...lol.
I see, thanks Dee.

What about the 22 kw AC adapter? Is it worth the price? I read that in Europe it can make the difference, as there are not many high voltage rechargers. The MY20 doesn't have it, while the MY21 has the option to install it. I wonder if not having it may turn out to be a problem on the long run. On an 11kw it will take forever to recharge the car, and I didn't see many high voltage options here in Copenhagen.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I see, thanks Dee.

What about the 22 kw AC adapter? Is it worth the price? I read that in Europe it can make the difference, as there are not many high voltage rechargers. The MY20 doesn't have it, while the MY21 has the option to install it. I wonder if not having it may turn out to be a problem on the long run. On an 11kw it will take forever to recharge the car, and I didn't see many high voltage options here in Copenhagen.
A 11kW charger can charge the car from 10-90 in 8 hours.
That's plenty for me as I'm charging at work.
I really can't tell what is suitable for you as I don't know where and how many times you'll charge.
22kW is faster but for me it's not necessary.
It's actually overkill if you consider fastchargers.
Those ones you'll use when you need quick refill, not a 22kW charger...
Sponsored