MY2022 Turbos

themickd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo, 2020 Macan S
Country flag
Someone at the dealership told me that Porsche is discontinuing the Turbo (base) model after MY21 due to low sales. Supposedly, they believe there's not enough differentiation between the 4S versus the Turbo, and Turbo versus the Turbo S. I can only speak to the former, which I somewhat agree with, but I haven't driven the Turbo S. Seems like they would have anticipated this... they're not dummies.

Regardless, has anyone else heard this? Personally, I preferred the Turbo model and had to option the hell out of my 4S to get it to the same level (and I believe options depreciate faster than base MSRP). But my 4S is still awaiting a $5 chip somewhere in the ether and I could be convinced to wait for MY22 Turbo.
Sponsored

T-Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan CT4, 23 911T, 24 Rivian R1S, 71 BMW 2002
Country flag
Very interesting. When I first saw your post I thought that seems unlikely. After all, doesn‘t Porsche have a silly number of Panamera models which basically all have low sales volumes? So then I went and looked...and...low and behold no Panamera turbo (at least not currently in the US market). So, who knows. Just speculating here but maybe the upcoming Taycan GTS will fill the gap between the 4S and turbo S in a more profitable way for Porsche?

Last edited:

dwaltchack

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor, ordered TCT Turbo
Country flag
Very interesting. When I first saw your post I thought that seems unlikely. After all, doesn‘t Porsche have a silly number of Panamera models which basically all have low sales volumes? So then I went and looked...and...low and behold no turbo (at least not currently in the US market). So, who knows. Just speculating here but maybe the upcoming Taycan GTS will fill the gap between the 4S and turbo S in a more profitable way for Porsche?
what year is the GTS supposed to come out?

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
Porsche produces so many obscure low volume models that this is surprising. But, you never know

T-Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan CT4, 23 911T, 24 Rivian R1S, 71 BMW 2002
Country flag
what year is the GTS supposed to come out?
There was a thread on this topic with someone having seen it on a salesman’s computer screen but that thread has now been removed which just definitely confirms it’s coming, lol. If it’s in the dealer systems maybe 2022 or 2023? It would be weird if it was in the system with a several year wait to follow. Honestly just guessing here though.

OP
OP
themickd

themickd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I feel like the GTS is a great model for ICE, but I’m not convinced it make sense for Taycan. It’s likely just a software update to gain 0.1s 0-60 and some cool aesthetics/ badging over the 4S spec’d with perf+ battery and perf package. But, Porsche people (myself included) have paid more for less.

But besides the point, it’s amazing to see that eliminating the Turbo base might be likely. Kinda effs up the already odd nomenclature given that S is the modifier… to what? Turbo EV?

Frankly, I’m just impatient for my 4S to arrive (Sept 10) and anxious (semi-psycho) that it might get delayed even further. I should probably see a therapist, ha.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I heard from my dealer the the next gen Macan (gen 3) out in Q3 will not have a turbo model and stop at GTS. Perhaps there is a trend coming.

cfp

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo '22 (ordered),MB E350, Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
I have just ordered a MY2022 Turbo so this seems unlikely....
How are you able to order a MY2022 right now? Maybe this is semantics but does that mean you've put down a deposit for your dealer's 2022 allocation? I plan to order a 2022 but my dealer is telling me that's not until Oct or Nov probably (in the US)

tomw00

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RRS P510e, i3S,Turbo
Country flag
How are you able to order a MY2022 right now? Maybe this is semantics but does that mean you've put down a deposit for your dealer's 2022 allocation? I plan to order a 2022 but my dealer is telling me that's not until Oct or Nov probably (in the US)

tomw00

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RRS P510e, i3S,Turbo
Country flag
I have indeed put down the deposit - and the online configurator shows MY2021. However the dealer said his screen was showing MY2022 options and indeed the order had different prices from what was online. I am in the UK so maybe this is different from the US?

Reactions: cfp

cfp

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo '22 (ordered),MB E350, Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
I have indeed put down the deposit - and the online configurator shows MY2021. However the dealer said his screen was showing MY2022 options and indeed the order had different prices from what was online. I am in the UK so maybe this is different from the US?
Ah interesting. Do you have any insight into the magnitude of price changes? Either on the base price or options?

PorscheGG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Macan GTS, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hmm. If the Turbo is discontinued, perhaps our Turbo’s will hold better value over time.

OP
OP
themickd

themickd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hmm. If the Turbo is discontinued, perhaps our Turbo’s will hold better value over time.
I was thinking the same thing, but then again they didn't seem to be as desirable new as the 4S or Turbo S. I guess time will tell.

tomw00

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RRS P510e, i3S,Turbo
Country flag
yes - at first glance the base price is unchanged - looks like the sports chrono package (8LH) is free now. I'll check the other options more carefully and get back to you. The price on the order is quite a bit lower than the configurator so I must have missed something....
just spotted KA2 parking assist reverse camera is free too..
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: cfp