MY21 cross turismo further delays

menzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mino cooper S, waiting for taycan CT
Country flag
I just checked TYD and delivery date, for MY21, has further been delayed to 12/24. I do not think that this is acceptable to get a MY21 end of December not to mention that it could get further delayed and actually get delivered in 2022.

For background, I placed the order on June 21 for June 28 lock date. The car started production on July 19. At time of order it was supposed to be delivered on September 3rd.
since then it has been delayed to October 8 then November 26 and now December 24.

For anyone in the same situation as myself, I think we should do something together to raise this issue with Porsche. Please let me know if you are having the same situation and ideas on how to address this.
Sponsored

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
Wow that sucks. You are basically getting a one year old car with associated depreciation (since used cars sell by model year) as soon as you buy it. As an example my brother and I bought exactly the same tesla model x in November 2016. Tesla sets the model year by the year of production. As such, I asked Tesla to hold my order until Jan 1 and he took a car and the end of December. We each sold our cars 2 years later and his car (same color and near the same miles) was valued at 10,000 less than mine as his was effectively a year older.

OP
OP

menzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wow that sucks. You are basically getting a one year old car with associated depreciation (since used cars sell by model year) as soon as you buy it. As an example my brother and I bought exactly the same tesla model x in November 2016. Tesla sets the model year by the year of production. As such, I asked Tesla to hold my order until Jan 1 and he took a car and the end of December. We each sold our cars 2 years later and his car (same color and near the same miles) was valued at 10,000 less than mine as his was effectively a year older.
That’s exactly how I am thinking of it. I am getting a one year old car.

ff2kracer

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
718 Spyder and TCT Turbo
Country flag
Same exact situation here… our cars are sitting feet apart from one another, We should be compensated, but I doubt that would be taken seriously in this frothy climate.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I hadn't realised this model year thing was such a big deal in the USA.
It really seems to be hard luck for US buyers :(

I am not sure what is happening with my delayed order but my concern is the wait! I had never given a moments thought to MY.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I picked up a 2017 Tesla on December 31st 2016. As it gets close to the end of the year, Tesla does roll the year on the VIN number (by reservation VIN actually changed as the car went into production). That said, Tesla can do this because they have a very fluid model year, Elon used to be proud of changing production hardware every 2 weeks. Porsche does not do this type of experimentation on production cars and customers, so model year there probably actually means changes in the hardware, which does switch over on some production date. This said however, USA is far from Germany, so it really does take significant time from production to delivery, especially in today's pandemic situation. Since everyone in the USA is in the same boat (pun intended ;) ), the used car values will reflect this. There are very few MY 2021 Taycan CT's delivered in the USA right now, so they will keep their value, even if delivered in December or even January. There are also no older CT's either, so you get an additional boost to the residual value. The MY 2022 cars your car will compete with will not be delivered to the USA till April or May (or even later), so really, your model year being older does not hurt your resale value as you think. Heck, you actually might gain by having a MY 21 as your insurance might be lower, as the insurance companies tend to extrapolate based on model year. The only things you are missing out on are model year 2022 hardware improvements, but you are in fact getting the car with the specs you ordered them with,

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
I picked up a 2017 Tesla on December 31st 2016. As it gets close to the end of the year, Tesla does roll the year on the VIN number (by reservation VIN actually changed as the car went into production). That said, Tesla can do this because they have a very fluid model year, Elon used to be proud of changing production hardware every 2 weeks. Porsche does not do this type of experimentation on production cars and customers, so model year there probably actually means changes in the hardware, which does switch over on some production date. This said however, USA is far from Germany, so it really does take significant time from production to delivery, especially in today's pandemic situation. Since everyone in the USA is in the same boat (pun intended ;) ), the used car values will reflect this. There are very few MY 2021 Taycan CT's delivered in the USA right now, so they will keep their value, even if delivered in December or even January. There are also no older CT's either, so you get an additional boost to the residual value. The MY 2022 cars your car will compete with will not be delivered to the USA till April or May (or even later), so really, your model year being older does not hurt your resale value as you think. Heck, you actually might gain by having a MY 21 as your insurance might be lower, as the insurance companies tend to extrapolate based on model year. The only things you are missing out on are model year 2022 hardware improvements, but you are in fact getting the car with the specs you ordered them with,
Except for the half a dozen ‘22s (reported on this forum so far) that are already on ships to the US.

My wife will be driving a three year old car for now - a BMW we’re more or less forced to buy off lease - since the current ETA for her ‘21 CT4 is now four months after the initial delivery estimate.

The lower insurance premiums I assume correlate with a lower priced car. Repairs may be the same but if the car is totaled out the insurance company pays out less, hence the lower premium. Also I’ve learned that once you hit April of the following year, the model is considered used by most banks, so you’re buying a “new” car with used car financing rates, which tend to be higher. I doubt we’ll be waiting until April for delivery but the ETAs seem to be creeping closer and closer to that threshold.

Is it strange that there’s still a part of me that thinks the delivery dates will shift forward?

OP
OP

menzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just don’t understand, with the ongoing production as is, how can they not able to provide a chip for 4 months to get our cars finished.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I just don’t understand, with the ongoing production as is, how can they not able to provide a chip for 4 months to get our cars finished.
Can you cancel the order/contract and place an order for MY22?

otherwise, I got additional discount from the factory (2000€) because of almost 4 month delay.
(ordered on April 18, promised delivery by end of May>… delivered on September, 17)

OP
OP

menzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Can you cancel the order/contract and place an order for MY22?

otherwise, I got additional discount from the factory (2000€) because of almost 4 month delay.
(ordered on April 18, promised delivery by end of May>… delivered on September, 17)
That’s what I will try to do. I just wanted to see everyone else’s thoughts so it become a collective effort not just a solution for one person.

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Complete speculation, I’m guessing a supplier doesn’t have the chip(s) and that part is holding everything up. Why this is not communicated by anyone to us that are waiting is bewildering.

My wife and I are still interested in buying our 2021, especially in light of the greater chip and supply chain issues everyone in the industry is facing, however if the US tax credit goes away before we can pick up the car we’ll likely bow out and keep her current car. Current delivery estimate is 12/31 so I feel like the decision will be made for us.

vdr

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maybe a Taycan...
Country flag
I just checked TYD and delivery date, for MY21, has further been delayed to 12/24. I do not think that this is acceptable to get a MY21 end of December not to mention that it could get further delayed and actually get delivered in 2022.

For background, I placed the order on June 21 for June 28 lock date. The car started production on July 19. At time of order it was supposed to be delivered on September 3rd.
since then it has been delayed to October 8 then November 26 and now December 24.

For anyone in the same situation as myself, I think we should do something together to raise this issue with Porsche. Please let me know if you are having the same situation and ideas on how to address this.
Yup. My ETA is now pushed to 12/24 from an initial delivery date of 08/06. My car is still shown as "In Production" since 07/20 with completion now moved from 10/20 to 11/15 so effectively delayed by yet another month.

So they put our cars into production, likely ran out of chips and then while the factory was closed for the usual August shutdown they figured out a way of changing *something* in the assembly process to continue the production line with completed MY22's upon re-opening. Sound plausible?
This is, of course, pure speculation because I haven't heard from my salesman since my car went into production and from Porsche N.A. since... uh... never.

EDIT: my vehicle is a 4s and not a CT

Last edited:

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The CT4 is no longer showing in my vehicles on the Porsche site, yet TYD is populating. Hoping this glitch means something positive…

Runestone

First Name
Sten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Yup. My ETA is now pushed to 12/24 from an initial delivery date of 08/06. My car is still shown as "In Production" since 07/20 with completion now moved from 10/20 to 11/15 so effectively delayed by, yet another, month.
About the same for me. Ordered early in April against an allocation. Original build in July and delivery early August. Currently it says shipping from Porsche Nov 26. So delivery in December.

OP
OP

menzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The CT4 is no longer showing in my vehicles on the Porsche site, yet TYD is populating. Hoping this glitch means something positive…
mine is not showing on my vehicles but when I use the TYD link from the email it shows the delayed dates.
Sponsored