MY22 Wifi connection

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I’ve only now had wifi installed and connected in my garage (primarily for smart light connections and a surveillance camera) and was hoping to connect my My22 CT Taycan to the home wifi AP but I cannot seem to find this option anywhere. It would be useful as the LTE reception in my garage is patchy and I cannot reliably trigger precooling etc.

TLDR; how do I connect my MY22 Taycan to home wifi? Thanks!
Sponsored

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I don’t think you can. But if you do find out that it is possible please post the solution here!

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Only the Russian's are allowed do it – for some unknown reason.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I’ve only now had wifi installed and connected in my garage (primarily for smart light connections and a surveillance camera) and was hoping to connect my My22 CT Taycan to the home wifi AP but I cannot seem to find this option anywhere. It would be useful as the LTE reception in my garage is patchy and I cannot reliably trigger precooling etc.

Unless you live in Russia and have a Russian spec car then external hotspot connections aren't possible.

The only hotspot is the in car one which you can use to share the optional data package if you have need for it (normally not).

OP
OP
tutis

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Ok, thanks to all of you who’ve responded so quickly.

I get it; not many people have wifi in their garage.
But the wifi chips are already in the car, and clearly they’ve already written the software for the Russian spec cars to connect to a home wifi access point…so you’d think it would make sense to activate it on all cars given that all the equipment is there.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Ok, thanks to all of you who’ve responded so quickly.

I get it; not many people have wifi in their garage.
But the wifi chips are already in the car, and clearly they’ve already written the software for the Russian spec cars to connect to a home wifi access point…so you’d think it would make sense to activate it on all cars given that all the equipment is there.
Totally agree and I too have strong WiFi beamed into my garage but we're stuck with what we have for now apparently.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

As others have posted, it appears that the Taycan cannot connect to the internet via WiFi outside of Russia. In the USA, it is possible to install a cellular hotspot that uses your home internet connection to create a "cell spot" of LTE cellular coverage. Have you checked if similar products are available in Switzerland ?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
As others have posted, it appears that the Taycan cannot connect to the internet via WiFi outside of Russia. In the USA, it is possible to install a cellular hotspot that uses your home internet connection to create a "cell spot" of LTE cellular coverage. Have you checked if similar products are available in Switzerland ?
Yes indeed but these units aren't available in all countries. I did some research last year but could only find units for the US Mark unfortunately.

AV7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Quick question, If the car is in the garage and I am away how does the app communicate with the car? I don't have Verison installed.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Quick question, If the car is in the garage and I am away how does the app communicate with the car? I don't have Verison installed.
It will use the car's own LTE service which is separate to any additional data package (which you don't need) from Verizon or others

The.standard LTE data service is what the car uses when on the road and for all Porsche Connect services.

Connectivity can be patchy if not on a strong signal but should be okay - it is what it is and you can't change it.

AV7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
It will use the car's own LTE service which is separate to any additional data package (which you don't need) from Verizon or others

The.standard LTE data service is what the car uses when on the road and for all Porsche Connect services.

Connectivity can be patchy if not on a strong signal but should be okay - it is what it is and you can't change it.
Good to know, I wasn't aware about that.
Sponsored