Nail in tyre - will it be covered by wheel and alloy protection?

JamieG

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar SE
Country flag
Having a horrific time atm and this is the nail in the coffin, sorry, tyre!

With the placement of the nail, is it repairable, or a new tyre jobby?

And will it be covered by my wheel and alloy protection insurance taken out directly with Porsche for around £700 for 3 years? (Back left tyre - Michelin)
Porsche Taycan Nail in tyre - will it be covered by wheel and alloy protection? 86A848AF-65B4-4D8F-A116-B4AA37689336
Sponsored

Icyfraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2WD
Country flag
I have my tyre and alloy insurance via a third party and had a bulge few. Bulge few months after delivery. No issues claiming. If that's bolt is considered unsafe for repair which I think it will be being a performance tyre, should be easy replacement

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
From my experience ~ 3 years ago with PS 4S tire, Michelin recommends patching any holes in the center of the tread like that and it’s good for the speed rating. Worth asking for new tire if you have the insurance but my guess is they will patch it.

Last edited:

Silveral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Porsche Tire&Wheel just covered my first nail. No questions. No copay. No repair. Brand new tire.

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had pretty much the same issue. Tyre was repaired and costs refunded. Cannot see repair.

OP
OP
JamieG

JamieG

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar SE
Country flag
I had pretty much the same issue. Tyre was repaired and costs refunded. Cannot see repair.
Thanks Andrew. Is it something they’ll repair the same day, or does it take a while?

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Not sure about the UK, but in the US, damage like that where it's on the tread usually only take the local tire shop an hour or so to fix and they typically do it for free regardless of whether you purchased the tire from them.

I've fixed several of my own tires with damage like that with simple plug kits (not the goo stuff. Hate the good) as well even on the side of the road. not too difficult of a repair.

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Not sure about the UK, but in the US, damage like that where it's on the tread usually only take the local tire shop an hour or so to fix and they typically do it for free regardless of whether you purchased the tire from them.

I've fixed several of my own tires with damage like that with simple plug kits (not the goo stuff. Hate the good) as well even on the side of the road. not too difficult of a repair.
I believe they remove the tire from the wheel and patch/plug inside and out to maintain speed rating, at least that’s what I was told at the time.

OP
OP
JamieG

JamieG

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar SE
Country flag
Hi All, just to update you on what happened.

Friday - Nail in tyre.
Saturday - Rang Porsche, they arranged for Porsche assistance to collect the car. They assigned me a Merc hire car from Enterprise.
Tuesday - Car was ready and included a software update that would have required me to revisit to dealership at a later date.

What I want to emphasise is the fact that

1. With my tyre and alloy protection I didn't have to pay a penny. Tyre cost alone would have been £338.
  2. Porsche arranged EVERYTHING! They collected my car and arranged for a hire car to be delivered within 2 hours of my initial call. They also handled all the paperwork with Mapfre - my insurance company. They also arranged for the hire car to be collected from their dealership.
  3. Porsche fully charged my car!
Overall, really happy with the service and speed in which Porsche acted.
Also got to see Jordan Henderson's Porsche Taycan Tourismo which is sitting in Bolton's dealership atm!

Bobby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I have my tyre and alloy insurance via a third party and had a bulge few. Bulge few months after delivery. No issues claiming. If that's bolt is considered unsafe for repair which I think it will be being a performance tyre, should be easy replacement
Who were you insured with please?

OP
OP
JamieG

JamieG

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar SE
Country flag
Who were you insured with please?
Hi Bobby,

I bought the Porsche Wheel and Alloy Protection service when I bought the car.
The policy is with Mapfre.
Although I never actually liaised with them when purchasing, or replacing the tyre. Porsche took care of all that thankfully!

Greenmachine

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 Range Rover, Tacoma
Country flag
Hi All, just to update you on what happened.

Friday - Nail in tyre.
Saturday - Rang Porsche, they arranged for Porsche assistance to collect the car. They assigned me a Merc hire car from Enterprise.
Tuesday - Car was ready and included a software update that would have required me to revisit to dealership at a later date.

What I want to emphasise is the fact that

1. With my tyre and alloy protection I didn't have to pay a penny. Tyre cost alone would have been £338.
  2. Porsche arranged EVERYTHING! They collected my car and arranged for a hire car to be delivered within 2 hours of my initial call. They also handled all the paperwork with Mapfre - my insurance company. They also arranged for the hire car to be collected from their dealership.
  3. Porsche fully charged my car!
Overall, really happy with the service and speed in which Porsche acted.
Also got to see Jordan Henderson's Porsche Taycan Tourismo which is sitting in Bolton's dealership atm!
Which color did Jordan go for?

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
I always have a plug repair kit in my car and I repaired a dozen of them myself. If the hole is less than an inch away from the side you will have to replace the tire. Your is going to be fine even with a plug pushed from the outside.