epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I have noticed a bug in navigation or maybe I am not getting it. Most of the time when I put in a destination the map will go into manual zoom mode and I have to manually change it back to auto. I have already set the preference for the Nav to enable Auto Zoom, even tried clearing and turning it back on with no joy. Anyone else have this?

As for the PCM question: I know there is a direct connect option in the Remote connect app. It seems to only work if you connect to the Taycan WiFi. But whoever I do obviously my iPhone shows no connection to the world. So my question is why would I do that, what does it gain compared to the remote connect through the cellular link, and what kind of logic am I missing? Anyone using this?
Sponsored

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
I’ve only used the Instrument Cluster map in Auto Zoom mode. Never the center console map; that I always zoomed by hand.

I think for the Car to Phone Connect App to work, you need the car to have a paid (AT&T in the US) Internet connection. Maybe. I didn’t sign up for that.

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I think for the Car to Phone Connect App to work, you need the car to have a paid (AT&T in the US) Internet connection. Maybe. I didn’t sign up for that.
Thanks, my car came with the ATT connection, and I didn’t have to pay for it (yet). I do pay for data link in other cars so familiar with the idea. So the PCM direct connection is simply that, to connect to your car when you are within its WiFi range and nothing more?

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
I’m not qualified to answer that, since I haven’t used it.

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks, my car came with the ATT connection, and I didn’t have to pay for it (yet). I do pay for data link in other cars so familiar with the idea. So the PCM direct connection is simply that, to connect to your car when you are within its WiFi range and nothing more?
There is an option in the setup that denotes if the wifi allows internet. Just something to be mindful of... I think it's labeled as private connection. I can't remember exactly. I am not using the onboard wifi so can't say for sure if it helps.

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
I talked to Porsche about the the other day. The representative said that they were switching to Verizon for the service, and hadn't completed negotiation of the contract yet, which is why the "internet" connection for the WiFi doesn't work yet.

I haven't figured out why you would connect the phone to the WiFi without the internet connection, though: why "talk" directly to the PCM vs. through the cloud?

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
... they were switching to Verizon for the service...
When I picked up my car they told me its cellular connection was with Verizon.

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
When I picked up my car they told me its cellular connection was with Verizon.
Exactly: the connection to the connect services is, but they're not providing the hotspot service yet. Those are the terms they're negotiating, I guess.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Exactly: the connection to the connect services is, but they're not providing the hotspot service yet. Those are the terms they're negotiating, I guess.
Assume that you can pull the verison sim and plug in a full data only sim.
Sponsored