DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I don’t disagree. What third party charger would you suggest that will deliver a cool 40 amps?
Well, I went to Tom Mologhny's "State of Charge" channel and watched most of his home charger videos. I have collected them in this post.

The one I went with is Wallbox Pulsar Plus. It plugs into the NEMA 14-50 and I get 40 amp charging with zero drama.
Sponsored

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
Well, I went to Tom Mologhny's "State of Charge" channel and watched most of his home charger videos. I have collected them in this post.

The one I went with is Wallbox Pulsar Plus. It plugs into the NEMA 14-50 and I get 40 amp charging with zero drama.
is there a tax credit for these purchases?

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I often get the feeling that I bought just after the time that many of the problems discussed on this board were corrected. Mine is connected to the Internet and set up for auto-updates. Mine says that it is up to date, and it is version 3011. I can set it for any value I choose, and it holds. I learned a long time ago that the amps delivered exceeds the selected amps, so if I set at 40, it delivers 41-42 and would fault occasionally. But if I set for 38 or 39, it delivers 40 and I have no problem. On a day to day basis, I use 32. But it does not reset.

Porsche Taycan Need a Class Action Lawsuit - Porsche Mobile Charger 7441E6A0-641E-4942-BF1E-53AAD71DB9FD

Porsche Taycan Need a Class Action Lawsuit - Porsche Mobile Charger A3720499-1988-4B87-89DB-3FE93ABE5644

Last edited:

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
But if I set for 38 or 39, it delivers 40 and I have no problem. On a day to day basis, I use 32. But it does not reset.
32 amps is pretty much considered reliable.

40 works until it doesn't. For me I charged fine at 40 for a full year until it started to overheat and error out overnight.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
32 amps is pretty much considered reliable.

40 works until it doesn't. For me I charged fine at 40 for a full year until it started to overheat and error out overnight.
Yes, mine would error out at 40 on the first day. It wasn't until I started noticing that it was delivering 42 amps at the 40 setting and started backing it off until it actually delivered 40 that it worked reliably. Obviously, I haven't had mine for a year yet, so I have no idea whether that would start failing for me, but right now, I can reach 40 by using 38 or 39 setting.

Sort of like the whole navigation thing: somehow I can manage to get the Porsche Navigation and the Waze navigation via CarPlay working at the same time.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
L2 EVSE does not actually control the current, it only sets a current limit by advertising a maximum current to the car, via SEA J1772 for most EVSE's out there, though I heard the PMCC actually uses powerline communications (Plug-And-Charge) standard typically used for DC charging, but PMCC uses it for AC charging as well (hence the added functionality of being able to see the current state of charge, not available on J1772 chargers).

@TDinDC, how did you verify the current to be above 40A when you set it to 40A? Did the PMCC report it as such, the car, or do you have a meter hooked up in series with the PMCC? I'm curious because if it did in fact deliver over 40A, this could be a PMCC problem advertising a wrong value to the car, or maybe there is an issue with the in-car charger not honoring the set limit.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
L2 EVSE does not actually control the current, it only sets a current limit by advertising a maximum current to the car, via SEA J1772 for most EVSE's out there, though I heard the PMCC actually uses powerline communications (Plug-And-Charge) standard typically used for DC charging, but PMCC uses it for AC charging as well (hence the added functionality of being able to see the current state of charge, not available on J1772 chargers).

@TDinDC, how did you verify the current to be above 40A when you set it to 40A? Did the PMCC report it as such, the car, or do you have a meter hooked up in series with the PMCC? I'm curious because if it did in fact deliver over 40A, this could be a PMCC problem advertising a wrong value to the car, or maybe there is an issue with the in-car charger not honoring the set limit.
Honest answer is that I will have to investigate whether I saw it reported out as 42 in the car, on the app, or on the PMCC itself. I just don't remember at this second. But it was consistent: If I set it to 40, it delivered 41 or 42 (it fluctuated a bit), and it would fault out in 5-10 minutes. I started playing around and realized that it would not fault if I set it at 39 (or at least not quickly) and it would continue to charge consistently when set at 38. Every time.

Now, I don't drive that many miles per day, so it nearly never matters whether I have selected 32, 38, or 39, so I don't sweat it and leave it at 32. But I do NOT see any default settings or resettings and I've been looking since this thread popped up.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Honest answer is that I will have to investigate whether I saw it reported out as 42 in the car, on the app, or on the PMCC itself. I just don't remember at this second. But it was consistent: If I set it to 40, it delivered 41 or 42 (it fluctuated a bit), and it would fault out in 5-10 minutes. I started playing around and realized that it would not fault if I set it at 39 (or at least not quickly) and it would continue to charge consistently when set at 38. Every time.

Now, I don't drive that many miles per day, so it nearly never matters whether I have selected 32, 38, or 39, so I don't sweat it and leave it at 32. But I do NOT see any default settings or resettings and I've been looking since this thread popped up.
Check it out next time you charge, at whatever setting - compare the setting against where you see current higher than the setting. I wonder if Porsche has more issues than just overheating that they are masking with the 50% nerfing of the EVSE.

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
The standard is called ISO15118-2, the communication is a bit different on AC than on DC. Providing the SoC is only available since MY21, Porsche did some custom extensions to the standard (which is allowed) for this and other features.

When you plug in the car it will start with J1772 and use the limits defined in the chargers UI or web interface. Then it will try to get a ISO15118-2 connection and from there use that, until unplugged or there is some failure and go back to J1772. If no HEMS is connected (which you don't have in the US), it will always use the limits set in the charger.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The standard is called ISO15118-2, the communication is a bit different on AC than on DC. Providing the SoC is only available since MY21, Porsche did some custom extensions to the standard (which is allowed) for this and other features.

When you plug in the car it will start with J1772 and use the limits defined in the chargers UI or web interface. Then it will try to get a ISO15118-2 connection and from there use that, until unplugged or there is some failure and go back to J1772. If no HEMS is connected (which you don't have in the US), it will always use the limits set in the charger.
You wouldn't happen to have a link or a copy to the ISO15118-2 spec, would you? Better yet if you have the Porsche extensions documented too.

Also, any idea why HEMS is not available in the USA? I think I saw in the Canadian configurator.

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
@whitex Sorry no, I don't. You can purchase it here: https://www.iso.org/standard/69113.html
The extensions sadly are not publicly documented and therefor only work with the PMCC and PWCC.

I don't know why the HEMS is not available in the US. It would allow to allow cost effective (timer based) charging supporting the power specific tariffs and also support solar surplus charging (this can also be achieved by other means).

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
I manually adjusted my EVSE to 50% yesterday and charged my PB+ from about 40% to 85% between midnight and 9AM. I am not sure this whole issue is a huge problem for me, but perhaps I am missing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.