First Name
Nirav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordering), 2020 GLS450, 2017 BMW 535d
Country flag
Hi All,

Will spare you the drama, but had challenges w my dealer who went completely unresponsive on ordering despite having a deposit with them for nearly 18 months.

So given the factory delays and available allocations from other dealers, I have a bit of a dilemma.

I can order now and end up with a MY20 in late fall or have a build in Oct for a MY21 delivery early next year.

I don’t have a compelling need on the car (eg we are not short of a car), so this is more about patience.

Do folks think there will be a big difference between the MY20s vs MY21s (I realize there may be some new colors and maybe an option or two like HUD), or will the cars be pretty much the same?

Would love your advice on what folks would do - order now or just lock for the later year build.

I was on the fence for a 4S vs Turbo but will prob save the $30K and stick w 4S.

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored

CinVinman

First Name
VInce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
In no particular order and with no insider information whatsoever....

Turbo vs. 4S - I believe the turbo is the sweet spot for this car, if such a thing exists. Try replicating the turbo by adding your must have options to the 4S and see what happens. I walked my turbo pretty close to the turbo S sans the extra grunt on launch and the ceramic brakes and found I could get most of the performance at a huge discount to the cost of the TS.

Model year dilemma - I'm thinking the price will go up a few grand. If its the depreciation hit you are concerned about, wait for dealers to dump unsold inventory.

This model year is a little unusual due to the COVID situation. There were some important changes (the battery ground e.g.) that found their way into production whie things were shut down. So maybe not a lot of changes coming?

Good luck - fun problem!

Alain

First Name
Alain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Jaguar F-Type 3.0 v6 P380 Supercharged R-Dynamic
Country flag
The advantage of an early 2021 compared to a late 2020 delivery is of course that it is worth a little more if you sell it again. But whether that will outweigh the (probably) higher price in 2021 and maybe some standard options less is difficult to predict. Given the Covid19 problems and the fact that the Taycan has practically only become available on the market in mid-2020, it is questionable whether the 2021 model will change much. But if it were to be produced in October 2020 and delivered in early 2021, you still get the 2020 model, right?

OP
OP

nsheth_ahimsa

First Name
Nirav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The advantage of an early 2021 compared to a late 2020 delivery is of course that it is worth a little more if you sell it again. But whether that will outweigh the (probably) higher price in 2021 and maybe some standard options less is difficult to predict. Given the Covid19 problems and the fact that the Taycan has practically only become available on the market in mid-2020, it is questionable whether the 2021 model will change much. But if it were to be produced in October 2020 and delivered in early 2021, you still get the 2020 model, right?
Hi - the October production results in 2021 model.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
I don't foresee any huge changes happening. A mythical HUD and a couple colors. If you want to wait, it's up to you. If we were seeing some sort of overhaul I could understand some concern. My opinion is those who worry about this single model year are too concerned about, at most, a couple thousand dollars when it comes time to sell it.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't foresee any huge changes happening. A mythical HUD and a couple colors. If you want to wait, it's up to you. If we were seeing some sort of overhaul I could understand some concern. My opinion is those who worry about this single model year are too concerned about, at most, a couple thousand dollars when it comes time to sell it.
doubt we’ll see any significant changes for 4-5 years. There is the base model to introduce, and allegedly a “gts” in between the 4S and the turbo. There is an EV Macan to produce, which is far more important business wise. Plus a new Panamera and the rest of the 992 generation 911s.

model architecture changes are massively expensive. Porsche has hewed closely to the 2x a decade philosophy

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I have said it before I think the Turbo/Turbo S is more performance than is needed, a properly spaced 4s with the features you care about (PDC? 4 wheel steering) is a better way to go, specially for a daily driver.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Having had it on my cars for the last 15 years, I think HUD is a huge benefit. If you can stand the waiting (I couldn’t), I’d hold out for that alone.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi - the October production results in 2021 model.
In a normal world, usually

In a covid world, everything is delayed, so unlikely.

I believe the 2021 Cayman starts production in December for example

I doubt there will be significant changes since production is not even ramped up yet on the 2020.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
I was able to get a slot for next month with another dealer and ordering a 4S. Fingers crossed I see this Sept/Oct!
That's great news!
For me, the excitement and joy I get driving the car far outweighs any monetary value I may or may not see when it comes time to trade in the vehicle. Sounds like you may feel similarly. :)

Charlie_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (Order Placed)
Country flag
Thanks all for your comments and perspectives. I was able to get a slot for next month with another dealer and ordering a 4S. Fingers crossed I see this Sept/Oct!
Hey OP
How were you able to move your slot to another dealer? Also I think we have the same initial dealer.

OP
OP

nsheth_ahimsa

First Name
Nirav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hey OP
How were you able to move your slot to another dealer? Also I think we have the same initial dealer.
Hi - will PM you with details of the Sales Advisor I ended up working with. I think he may have a Turbo slot avail. When I say ‘move’ I meant I worked with another dealer as my original dealer disappeared on me - both Sales and GM.

OP
OP

nsheth_ahimsa

First Name
Nirav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's great news!
For me, the excitement and joy I get driving the car far outweighs any monetary value I may or may not see when it comes time to trade in the vehicle. Sounds like you may feel similarly. :)
I now have the production schedule and delivery date. Needless to say I will plan a day of PTO to pick up the car!

Charlie_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (Order Placed)
Country flag
Hi - will PM you with details of the Sales Advisor I ended up working with. I think he may have a Turbo slot avail. When I say ‘move’ I meant I worked with another dealer as my original dealer disappeared on me - both Sales and GM.
Much Appreciated, I had 2 Sales Associate disappear on me, manager didn't seem to give a crap either.
Sponsored