First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hi all,

I love my MY20 Taycan Turbo and absolutely love all the new updates. I bought it about a year ago from a dealer as a demo vehicle with only 800 miles on it. One of my first upgrades were to go with a new set of forged 22" in wheels linked here:

https://www.vividracing.com/-p-153792479.html

Here are the specs:

Front Wheel Specs:

• Diameter: 22x10
  • Offset: 56mm
  • Bolt Pattern: 5x130
  • Center Bore: 71.56
  • Wheel Finish: Matte Black
  • Wheel Weight (KG): 14
  • Load Rating (KG): 720
  • Lug Style: Ball
  • Recommended Tire Size: 265/30/22 or 285/30/22
Rear Wheel Specs:

• Diameter: 22x11.5
  • Offset: 59mm
  • Wheel Weight (KG): 14.8
  • Recommended Tire Size: 305/25/22 or 335/25/22

It appears they led me astray on their initial tire recommendations as I bought 265/30/22 up front and 305/25/22 on the rear and they are too narrow. They've since updated to include 285/30/22 and 335/25/22 as further recommendations. I will include photos at the bottom of this post so you can see how the 265/30/22 and 305/25/22 look.

I need to solve a few things:

1) Tires that fit the wheels (the current rears are more problematic)
2) Tires that don't cause suspension or turning issues (they have a slightly different offset than factory). I don't have any modifications to lowering links etc.
3) Tires that can support the Taycan load requirements
4) Tires that could be run around CoTA (I live in Austin and would love to track the car but am too scared with current tires). If there isn't something that fits this description for 22's, I will buy a backup set of wheels and tires to do this, but was curious if I could get this all done together.

Outside of just trusting their recommendations on 285/30/22 and 335/25/22, does anyone have any specific recommendations to help me fit my goals listed above?

Thanks in advance! Here are the pictures:

Front:

Porsche Taycan Need help with new 22 Inch Tire Sizes - MY20 Turbo 2022-09-13 12.57.12

Rear:

Porsche Taycan Need help with new 22 Inch Tire Sizes - MY20 Turbo 2022-09-13 12.56.59

Rob28

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan GTS, '22 Lexus NX350 (Wife's)
Country flag
willtheyfit.com is a pretty good tool for checking rim/tire size and how they fit on the rim or on the car.

Hope that helps!

Porsche Taycan Need help with new 22 Inch Tire Sizes - MY20 Turbo 1663092468070

OP
OP
BeauJTaylor

BeauJTaylor

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
willtheyfit.com is a pretty good tool for checking rim/tire size and how they fit on the rim or on the car.

Hope that helps!

1663092468070.png
Thanks. This gives a good visual for it. There were a bunch of threads about 22 inch tires, so apologies in advance if I missed a thread with my specific issue. It seems like the "updated" recommendation from Vivid may solve my issue, but was hoping for first hand accounts or confirmation of that thought process!

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
22s don’t leave you with many options - I don’t think I even see the 265/305 combo listed as a possibility on tire rack. Individually they actually barely fit on the wheels you have listed (265 max rim width is 10”, and 305 max rim width is 11.5”). They’ll be pretty stretched though, on an already tiny sidewall given the aspect ratio. I agree that it’s probably too marginal and wouldn’t risk it

I think the 285/335 combo should work - at least on an overall height, front/rear stagger, and for rim width are fine and well within the parameters. The only question I have is on rubbing, since the tires are wider than the widest OEM. Doing a search, it seems the 285/335 combo is used on other 22 setups, so you should be fine.

Related to offset, your rear is 7mm more poke out than the factory 21s, and your front is 10mm. That’s a pretty reasonable increase in poke, since some people have 15/10mm or even 15mm all around spacers on these cars which work. So based off this, I don’t think you’ll end up with rubbing issues

Again because you have 22s, the tire option is very limited. There are no other combinations available besides the 285/335 for a 22 tire that would work reasonably well with the Taycan. It’s good that the tires available are pilot sport 4s which seem to fit the load rating and are good tires in general. If sticking with the 22s, I think you’re forced into going with that setup

If you’re really going to track the car, my recommendation would be to downsize to a 20” or 21” setup. The tires probably will be cheaper (certainly are for 20s), and will be a lighter setup as well. Also less likely to damage a rim, since the 22s have a pretty tiny sidewall.

As a heads up, I’m planning to do a 255/40/20 and 295/35/20 setup in PS4S on my Taycan when it arrives. These are actually an OEM recommended setup (albeit not provided as a factory option). That would be my recommendation. You could even fit Pilot Sport Cup 2 Connects which are a more pure track tire for the same tire dimensions

Otherwise you can do the factory setup on 21s of 265/35/21 and 305/30/21 which are now available in PS4S as well

OP
OP
BeauJTaylor

BeauJTaylor

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
22s don’t leave you with many options - I don’t think I even see the 265/305 combo listed as a possibility on tire rack. Individually they actually barely fit on the wheels you have listed (265 max rim width is 10”, and 305 max rim width is 11.5”). They’ll be pretty stretched though, on an already tiny sidewall given the aspect ratio. I agree that it’s probably too marginal and wouldn’t risk it

I think the 285/335 combo should work - at least on an overall height, front/rear stagger, and for rim width are fine and well within the parameters. The only question I have is on rubbing, since the tires are wider than the widest OEM. Doing a search, it seems the 285/335 combo is used on other 22 setups, so you should be fine.

Related to offset, your rear is 7mm more poke out than the factory 21s, and your front is 10mm. That’s a pretty reasonable increase in poke, since some people have 15/10mm or even 15mm all around spacers on these cars which work. So based off this, I don’t think you’ll end up with rubbing issues

Again because you have 22s, the tire option is very limited. There are no other combinations available besides the 285/335 for a 22 tire that would work reasonably well with the Taycan. It’s good that the tires available are pilot sport 4s which seem to fit the load rating and are good tires in general. If sticking with the 22s, I think you’re forced into going with that setup

If you’re really going to track the car, my recommendation would be to downsize to a 20” or 21” setup. The tires probably will be cheaper (certainly are for 20s), and will be a lighter setup as well. Also less likely to damage a rim, since the 22s have a pretty tiny sidewall.

As a heads up, I’m planning to do a 255/40/20 and 295/35/20 setup in PS4S on my Taycan when it arrives. These are actually an OEM recommended setup (albeit not provided as a factory option). That would be my recommendation. You could even fit Pilot Sport Cup 2 Connects which are a more pure track tire for the same tire dimensions

Otherwise you can do the factory setup on 21s of 265/35/21 and 305/30/21 which are now available in PS4S as well
Thank you for this! I think I'm going to go with the 285/335 as long as I have these wheels and then buy a 20 inch setup if I go track it.

Last two questions on a potential track setup:

1) Would you personally have a preferred 20 inch wheel to use for track? Not as concerned with aesthetics in this scenario, just handling the rigors of the F1 track and being able to support a high end track tire.
2) 255/40/20 and 295/35/20 - Any issues clearing Turbo brakes that you can think of?

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
1) Any high quality forged wheel company like HRE or Forgeline would of course work very well, although those are pricey options. Titan 7 and Apex Race wheels also make more budget oriented forged wheels (high quality Chinese manufacturer I think), that the BMW guys run on the track all the time. Believe Titan 7 has a specific Taycan fit right now, and Apex race wheels is working on a 20” Porsche setup that would fit the Taycan. Forgeline has a flow formed wheel as well made for the 911 but should fit the Taycan. I did ask them though and this one won’t fit ceramic brakes.

There is also a rep for Signature Wheels on this forum. While I have no experience with the company, it seems their wheels are pretty high quality, so you could also reach out to him. It seems their pricing is less than something like HRE for forged wheels

2) Many wheels should be no issues clearing turbo brakes, or carbon ceramics, given you can have carbon ceramics with OEM 20s. That said, like for the Forgeline above, you need to ask the manufacturer of the wheel to make sure it works, as different spoke design / concavity will vary.

Personally I have a set of Victor Equipment Baden flowformed wheels waiting for when I get my car. I didn’t want to splurge to get a set of high quality forged wheels, especially since my car will never be tracked and will be a daily. So given the price point I got mine for ($1600 for all 4 wheels), was the right compromise for me. TSW owns and makes wheels for Victor Equipment, and they are a pretty good quality manufacturer of cast and flowformed wheels, so I figure they’ll be decent quality. Lighter than the OEM cast 20s as well

Last edited:
OP
OP
BeauJTaylor

BeauJTaylor

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
1) Any high quality forged wheel company like HRE or Forgeline would of course work very well, although those are pricey options. Titan 7 and Apex Race wheels also make more budget oriented forged wheels (high quality Chinese manufacturer I think), that the BMW guys run on the track all the time. Believe Titan 7 has a specific Taycan fit right now, and Apex race wheels is working on a 20” Porsche setup that would fit the Taycan. Forgeline has a flow formed wheel as well made for the 911 but should fit the Taycan. I did ask them though and this one won’t fit ceramic brakes.

There is also a rep for Signature Wheels on this forum. While I have no experience with the company, it seems their wheels are pretty high quality, so you could also reach out to him. It seems their pricing is less than something like HRE for forged wheels

2) Many wheels should be no issues clearing turbo brakes, or carbon ceramics, given you can have carbon ceramics with OEM 20s. That said, like for the Forgeline above, you need to ask the manufacturer of the wheel to make sure it works, as different spoke design / concavity will vary.
Awesome, thank you!

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I actually bought Panamera Turbo Wheels with 5mm spacers for this purpose.

20x9.5 for the front and 20x11.5 for the rear. Plan is to run them with Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3.

275/40R20 for the fronts and 305/35R20 for the rear.

It's actually also because of SCCA Autocross Street Class rules where I have to maintain wheels width but can go up and down wheel diameter by 1" and adjust offset by +- 5mm.

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Think that setup should generally work, but would just watch out for any issues with the change in front/rear stagger at +1.1% (where the front is bigger than rear). I know on Ferraris traction control can be sensitive to this and may trigger errors. Not sure about Taycan

OEM F/R staggers are 0% for 19 inch wheels, -1% for 20s, +0.4% for 21s. So the bounds (size of front vs. rear) we know will be fine are -1% to +0.4%. +1.1% is out of the OEM bounds but may be within the margin of error for the Taycan’s traction control to not complain, as the factory systems do build in some margin for tire wear

Last edited:

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Think that setup should generally work, but would just watch out for any issues with the change in front/rear stagger at +1% (where the front is bigger than rear). I know on Ferraris traction control can be sensitive to this and may trigger errors. Not sure about Taycan
Yeah, I had factored that in too. OEM tires diameter is 28.7" front / 29" rear.

The Goodyears would be 28.7" front / 28.4" rear. Could go 255/40R20 for the front so that it's 28" diameter so it'll be 28.0" / 28.4", but that's too much tire width sacrifice IMO.

I also considered 285/30R20 front and 295/30R20 for a 26.8" / 27" ratio, but now you're running 100Y and 101Y tires. Not the worst compromise especially you're getting closer to a square setup so turn in and overall grip should be higher, but tirewear will likely be higher due to the weight.

It's just one of those things where unless you try it, you don't really know what will happen. Plus in performance settings, you'd be turning off all traction & stability control.

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, makes sense - if it works, what you have chosen should be pretty good for trying to eliminate some of the understeer that people report in the Taycan

I’m doing a 255 and 295 but also not planning to do any auto cross or tracking.

285/35/20 and 295/35/20 would actually be an interesting setup now that you mention it

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yeah, makes sense - if it works, what you have chosen should be pretty good for trying to eliminate some of the understeer that people report in the Taycan

I’m doing a 255 and 295 but also not planning to do any auto cross or tracking.

285/35/20 and 295/35/20 would actually be an interesting setup now that you mention it

In the stock OEM 20" configuration, you can dial out a lot of the understeer by running even tire pressure front and back. I run 36 psi hot front and rear when autocrossing.

diegomedinaf

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Hi all,

I love my MY20 Taycan Turbo and absolutely love all the new updates. I bought it about a year ago from a dealer as a demo vehicle with only 800 miles on it. One of my first upgrades were to go with a new set of forged 22" in wheels linked here:

https://www.vividracing.com/-p-153792479.html

Here are the specs:

Front Wheel Specs:

• Diameter: 22x10
  • Offset: 56mm
  • Wheel Weight (KG): 14
  • Recommended Tire Size: 265/30/22 or 285/30/22
Rear Wheel Specs:

• Diameter: 22x11.5
  • Offset: 59mm
  • Wheel Weight (KG): 14.8
  • Recommended Tire Size: 305/25/22 or 335/25/22

It appears they led me astray on their initial tire recommendations as I bought 265/30/22 up front and 305/25/22 on the rear and they are too narrow. They've since updated to include 285/30/22 and 335/25/22 as further recommendations. I will include photos at the bottom of this post so you can see how the 265/30/22 and 305/25/22 look.

I need to solve a few things:

1) Tires that fit the wheels (the current rears are more problematic)
2) Tires that don't cause suspension or turning issues (they have a slightly different offset than factory). I don't have any modifications to lowering links etc.
3) Tires that can support the Taycan load requirements
4) Tires that could be run around CoTA (I live in Austin and would love to track the car but am too scared with current tires). If there isn't something that fits this description for 22's, I will buy a backup set of wheels and tires to do this, but was curious if I could get this all done together.

Outside of just trusting their recommendations on 285/30/22 and 335/25/22, does anyone have any specific recommendations to help me fit my goals listed above?

Thanks in advance! Here are the pictures:

Front:

2022-09-13 12.57.12.jpg

Rear:

2022-09-13 12.56.59.jpg
see for the front: 275 is the perfect size, 285 will protect you a lot but is the widest you can go but it will look too meaty IMHO.
Porsche Taycan Need help with new 22 Inch Tire Sizes - MY20 Turbo 1663624185507

For the Rear :

Porsche Taycan Need help with new 22 Inch Tire Sizes - MY20 Turbo 1663624141030

Full table for reference:
Porsche Taycan Need help with new 22 Inch Tire Sizes - MY20 Turbo 1663624239588

source: https://www.tiresandco.ca/tire-equivalence-advice.html

Porsche Taycan Need help with new 22 Inch Tire Sizes - MY20 Turbo 1663624026524

Porsche Taycan Need help with new 22 Inch Tire Sizes - MY20 Turbo 1663624109710