Need Recommendation for Fastest Office Charger

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The management company for my office building asked me to help research possible charging stations to install at our office. I'm the only Taycan but we have several Teslas, as well as Porsche hybrids. Would like to recommend fastest possible charger that could work for both. I understand there is a Tesla CCS adapter, so something with faster CCS DC charging would be the way to go I guess. Any ideas/suggestions?
Sponsored

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The management company for my office building asked me to help research possible charging stations to install at our office. I'm the only Taycan but we have several Teslas, as well as Porsche hybrids. Would like to recommend fastest possible charger that could work for both. I understand there is a Tesla CCS adapter, so something with faster CCS DC charging would be the way to go I guess. Any ideas/suggestions?
I have no doubt @daveo4EV will recommend the ideal solution. Is this like the Bat Signal?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
for Normal Chargers any J-1772 charger will do - the fastest charger for that would be HCS-100 from ClipperCreek - J-1772 can charge all North American EV’s (TEsla has an adapter that comes with every car)

for FastDC chargers you’ll need a Dual CCS & Chademo charger— but that will only work for Tesla’s _IF_ the Tesla owner has purchased the $500 chademo adapter - it’s maximum charge rate is 50 kW (if you can get an install).

for Porsche and everyone else you need CCS
for Tesla you need either the Supercharger or Chademo

Tesla has not yet announced any support for CCS in the North American market - which would make this soooooo much simpler.

if you want to be nice to the Tesla Owner’s you could purchase a $500 Chademo adpter and let them sign it out (like a library book).

there are serveral choices for 20 kW to 40 kW FastDC chargers for commerical installation that have both CCS and Chademo connectors.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the simpliest solution is the ClipperCreek 100 amp charger which is more power than most EV’s can handle (Taycan 48 amp, most teslas 48 amps, some Teslas 72/80 amps, and all other EV’s 40 amps or less).

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the ONLY thing the hybrids will support is the level 2 J-1772— they will not support the CCS/Chademo charger

I’d install 1-4 Cippercreek J-1772 chargers and call it done - or contact ChargePoint - ChargePoint can install EV chargers for business and have billing/revenue sharing and will maintain the stations.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
also installing a “fast” charger doesn’t make the car’s charge any faster than their limits - a lot of hybrids (like the Volt) only charge at 16 amps - they will take 4-6 hours to fully charge regardless of the full speed of the charger…

there are two limites to consider:
1. how fast eh charger is?
2. how fast can the car charge?

most EV’s are slow - 40 amps or less - which means they will occupy the spot for most of the day. the _ONLY_ solution to this is multiple chargers - but even then they will fill up.

OP
OP
HelfFL

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
also installing a “fast” charger doesn’t make the car’s charge any faster than their limits - a lot of hybrids (like the Volt) only charge at 16 amps - they will take 4-6 hours to fully charge regardless of the full speed of the charger…

there are two limites to consider:
1. how fast eh charger is?
2. how fast can the car charge?

most EV’s are slow - 40 amps or less - which means they will occupy the spot for most of the day. the _ONLY_ solution to this is multiple chargers - but even then they will fill up.
Thanks so much Dave - knew you would lead me in the right direction. The "occupying the spot for most of the day" is certainly one of the issues we want to address. We have at least 5 Teslas plus my Taycan at the office as of now. At least 2 of the Tesla owners live where no home charging is available and they would like to rely on charging at work since they can't charge at night without going to a superstation. So, sharing is caring, I guess. Thanks for the advice.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Dave said it all above, but I'll put in another vote for a 100a EVSE, and I'm also a fan of the Clipper Creek. They are relatively inexpensive, stone simple to install and use, and are very durable. With a 100a Clipper Creek the Taycan will actually charge at 11kW, which is faster than you can get with the plug-in PMCC that you can (or had to) buy with the car. I would avoid suggesting DC charging, especially as the only option, as the costs increase dramatically and it limits the types of vehicles that can take advantage of it.

Just as important as the equipment is signage; encourage your office to put in clear signage that the spaces are for active Electric Vehicle Charging only. You don't want to allow ICE or non-plug hybrids to use the spaces, and you don't want to encourage EV owners who will park there without plugging in or using a charger. You also want to discourage camping; get your charge then move so someone else can.

For those reasons, your building might want to look into an arrangement with ChargePoint or SemaConnect, which can monetize the stations and also help drive the correct behavior. It doesn't have to be a lot. You can make it $1 or even free for the first four hours, but then charge a lot ($10 or $20 an hour) after that. This will encourage people to charge and move, allowing you to maximize use of the asset.

Brent
Sponsored