Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
Clippercreek charger with two J-1772 cords & plugs and does split load charging and plugs right into a NEMA 14-50/6-50 outlet is ideal for multi-EV households.
That’s a nice solution. While I’m happy with my current setup (I charge each car once a week), I’m thinking about upgrading my setup this summer when I have some spare time. This time I’ll hire an electrician to pull the wire since I spent three weekends pulling wire the last time. Not fun!
Sponsored

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Bottom line: when installing a 14-50 receptacle, have your electrician run 4 wires: two hots, one neutral and one ground. The electrician will know what kind of wires to run. When I did my house 5 years ago, I ran 8 gauge THHN in conduit to a 14-50 receptacle. I have a 50 amp breaker protecting the wire and run my Juicebox EVSE at 32 amps (though I could go to 40 amps with the wire size and breaker).

If I were to do it over today, since I have 2 EVs, I would have run 6 gauge THHN in conduit which would support 60 amp charging. Since this is over 50 amps (the limit of a 14-50 receptacle ) I would need to replace the receptacle with a hard wired connection (junction box). But 95% of the work is running the wires through conduit and you don’t want to be like me: regretting the wires I ran.
Yep essentially what I did back in Sept 2021 i.e. had electrician run the 4 wires (used 6 THHN) and have my ChargePoint HomeFlex hard wired to a 60A breaker (only abt. 10 ft from the panel) - getting full 11kW out and consistently get 10.5kW to the car - very happy with this setup and really appreciate the extra speed - also have an additional 14-50 (50A breaker) plug in the next bay available, which for now, is a backup but in near future will hopefully accommodate the next gen Mini Electric. I got my HomeFlex for a little over $700 but then got 30% back in tax relief in 2021 (for both this unit and the installation costs) - a real bargain - was a bit blown away to see this same unit just now on Amazon for sale at $974 for the 14-50 versions - wow!

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
only abt. 10 ft from the panel
In my case the main panel was in my basement on the wrong side of the house and I needed to run 60’ of wire through 3/4” conduit. Plus there was a brick outside wall I needed to drill a hole through for the conduit. Not easy. That’s why it took three weekends. But I love the idea of a tandem charger.

BTW my wife had a series of MGBs when she was in college and I got her a gas mini for one of her birthdays. She loved the car! I hear the electric mini is a terrific EV for tooling around. They were all British racing green. :)

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
That’s a nice solution. While I’m happy with my current setup (I charge each car once a week), I’m thinking about upgrading my setup this summer when I have some spare time. This time I’ll hire an electrician to pull the wire since I spent three weekends pulling wire the last time. Not fun!
I've had that charger for ~6 months now and it's been great. Probably the best part of it is that I can have both vehicles pre-condition for the daily commute without draining the battery

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In my case the main panel was in my basement on the wrong side of the house and I needed to run 60’ of wire through 3/4” conduit. Plus there was a brick outside wall I needed to drill a hole through for the conduit. Not easy. That’s why it took three weekends. But I love the idea of a tandem charger.

BTW my wife had a series of MGBs when she was in college and I got her a gas mini for one of her birthdays. She loved the car! I hear the electric mini is a terrific EV for tooling around. They were all British racing green. :)
Wife's car is a BRG Mini Cooper S - here's a pic after washing about 1/2 yr ago (I have washed it since :)!!) - but the real story is this is the 2004 model, basically the first iteration by BMW and thing still runs like a top - but age is getting to all the hidden stuff so hoping she'll pull through to when the electric gets released - and yes, suggested/offered to get a new one many times but she simply will not let go of her baby! Friend of mine's dad and older brother have a shed full of restored vintage MGB's they do vintage rallying in and touring etc up in Indiana - remember driving around (10 years ago now!) and was a blast.

Porsche Taycan NEMA 14-50 outlet question IMG_6705.JPG

Allegedly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Land Rover Defender, '22 Ford Bronco, '22 Tayc
Country flag
Yep essentially what I did back in Sept 2021 i.e. had electrician run the 4 wires (used 6 THHN) and have my ChargePoint HomeFlex hard wired to a 60A breaker (only abt. 10 ft from the panel) - getting full 11kW out and consistently get 10.5kW to the car - very happy with this setup and really appreciate the extra speed - also have an additional 14-50 (50A breaker) plug in the next bay available, which for now, is a backup but in near future will hopefully accommodate the next gen Mini Electric. I got my HomeFlex for a little over $700 but then got 30% back in tax relief in 2021 (for both this unit and the installation costs) - a real bargain - was a bit blown away to see this same unit just now on Amazon for sale at $974 for the 14-50 versions - wow!
Absolutely love my ChargePoint but the price is a little erratic because they are usually out of stock so it reverts to 3rd party Amazon nonsense.

Camel Camel Camel helps if you're trying to grab one from Amazon at regular price.

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B07WXZDHGV?context=search

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Allegedly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Land Rover Defender, '22 Ford Bronco, '22 Tayc
Country flag
Not int he market as I already have mine installed in 2021 - was just one of those ads from Amazon I decided to click on and was again, amazed at the elevated price.
I figured with your good review. Sorry, was meant for others.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wife's car is a BRG Mini Cooper S - here's a pic after washing about 1/2 yr ago (I have washed it since :)!!)
A beaut! My wife had a BRG 2011 Cooper S.
I learned to drive a stick shift in her 1970 MGB. Before that she had a 1965 MGB (all bought used, all convertibles). The problem with the MGBs was that the electrical systems were terrible. Her MGBs lasted maybe 50,000 miles before they needed to be replaced. The last one was a mid 70’s which she gave up after a car accident and then she moved onto ‘adult’ cars.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A beaut! My wife had a BRG 2011 Cooper S.
I learned to drive a stick shift in her 1970 MGB. Before that she had a 1965 MGB (all bought used, all convertibles). The problem with the MGBs was that the electrical systems were terrible. Her MGBs lasted maybe 50,000 miles before they needed to be replaced. The last one was a mid 70’s which she gave up after a car accident and then she moved onto ‘adult’ cars.
The transition to the electric Mini will be quite the change for my wife as she’s never had anything but stick shift her entire driving life to date - but she’s def up for it :)!

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The electric mini is still small and nimble. I saw the e-mini for the first time in January 2020 at the Munich airport and from the way it looked, I thought it was going to be a winner. At the time I was driving an i3 with a 110 mile (summer) range and that was a great daily driver. I pretty much only charge at home and was charging the i3 twice a week so at the time, the e-mini would have been a good replacement.

I ended up trading my i3 at the end of 2020 for a Tesla Y to get more range and space. When the Taycan was delivered end of 2021, it’s become the go-to car for anything other than Home Depot runs for gardening supplies.
Sponsored