NEMA 14-50 position in garage for PMCC

nwills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm picking up my car Saturday. In trying to be proactive I had an electrician come in and install a NEMA 14-50 with a 50A breaker on my panel before taking delivery of the car.

Not very smart of me...the NEMA 14-50 plug in my garage is installed 3 feet off the ground. Only to realize the charger needs the NEMA plug above it since in its proper orientation the cord that connects to the NEMA outlet is above the charger and also pretty damn short.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Looks like my only option is to have the outlet re-installed higher or not wall mount the PMCC (with the PMCC basic wall mount) and leave it on the floor!

I thought since the supply and car cable can be removed maybe they could be swapped top to bottom but it doesn't look that way.

Not very diligent on my part
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
You could try mounting the charger next to the outlet like mine:
Porsche Taycan NEMA 14-50 position in garage for PMCC A753C234-8E5F-42B3-8653-2B8846257828

it would be lower than ideal but could be ok. I’ve only had my car for two days, but I don’t see much need to look at the charger once you have it set up.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I'm picking up my car Saturday. In trying to be proactive I had an electrician come in and install a NEMA 14-50 with a 50A breaker on my panel before taking delivery of the car.

Not very smart of me...the NEMA 14-50 plug in my garage is installed 3 feet off the ground. Only to realize the charger needs the NEMA plug above it since in its proper orientation the cord that connects to the NEMA outlet is above the charger and also pretty damn short.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Looks like my only option is to have the outlet re-installed higher or not wall mount the PMCC (with the PMCC basic wall mount) and leave it on the floor!

I thought since the supply and car cable can be removed maybe they could be swapped top to bottom but it doesn't look that way.

Not very diligent on my part

I think all you need to do is buy a heavy duty NEMA 14-50 to NEMA 14-50 extension cord. You can order one from Home Depot, or Amazon.

A basic web search will find something that will work for you without having to move the plug, or awkwardly hang the charger like in the picture above.

Just my two cents.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think I'd just pay to move the outlet if it's external conduit. Using an extension cord permanently just doesn't sound like a great idea. (Plus it'd look bad)

My 6-50 outlet is in the wrong spot for the PMCC, so I'll just keep using my current EVSE.

OP
OP

nwills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
You could try mounting the charger next to the outlet like mine:
A753C234-8E5F-42B3-8653-2B8846257828.jpeg

it would be lower than ideal but could be ok. I’ve only had my car for two days, but I don’t see much need to look at the charger once you have it set up.
I was thinking of doing that but it positions my PMCC inches off the ground...not great. Looks like yours is at a reasonable height.

OP
OP

nwills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think all you need to do is buy a heavy duty NEMA 14-50 to NEMA 14-50 extension cord. You can order one from Home Depot, or Amazon.

A basic web search will find something that will work for you without having to move the plug, or awkwardly hang the charger like in the picture above.

Just my two cents.
Nice! I didn't know this existed. If I can't re-install the outlet since it may require to do an entirely new run from the basement panel to the garage I'll go with an extension. Only concern is safety or loss of output if I introduce an extension...I'll have to research this bit thanks.

OP
OP

nwills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think I'd just pay to move the outlet if it's external conduit. Using an extension cord permanently just doesn't sound like a great idea. (Plus it'd look bad)

My 6-50 outlet is in the wrong spot for the PMCC, so I'll just keep using my current EVSE.
Agreed. I'm trying to get the electrician to let me know what's involved in moving it higher. I was concerned he may have to do a new run from basement panel to garage. Not sure if he can simply splice in extra length and still stay within safety code etc.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Nice! I didn't know this existed. If I can't re-install the outlet since it may require to do an entirely new run from the basement panel to the garage I'll go with an extension. Only concern is safety or loss of output if I introduce an extension...I'll have to research this bit thanks.

I have had the charger that came with my Cayenne e-hybrid on the wall for almost a year. That charger came with a NEMA 6-15 plug, so I have been using a extension cord with a NEMA 14-50 plug to go in the wall. I use this charger for both my Cayenne and my Taycan 4s. Never have had an issue. You can tell from the picture that the extension cable is thicker than the cable that comes with the Porsche charger.

Porsche Taycan NEMA 14-50 position in garage for PMCC IMG_9835.HEIC

OP
OP

nwills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have had the charger that came with my Cayenne e-hybrid on the wall for almost a year. That charger came with a NEMA 6-15 plug, so I have been using a extension cord with a NEMA 14-50 plug to go in the wall. I use this charger for both my Cayenne and my Taycan 4s. Never have had an issue. You can tell from the picture that the extension cable is thicker than the cable that comes with the Porsche charger.

IMG_9835.HEIC.jpeg
Perfect. If moving the existing outlet is an issue, Ill find an extension online.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
Is everyone's cable that short? In this video the cables are a lot longer:

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Is everyone's cable that short? In this video the cables are a lot longer:
Porsche changed the cable length to ~1 ft. With a revision. Good luck finding the long one (which radiated a lot of heat because the #10 gauge wire is too small).

If handy with electrical connections, turn off the breaker and rotate the receptacle (socket) so the ground pin is at the bottom. This will allow the Charger to be higher, the opposite of my installation:
Porsche Taycan NEMA 14-50 position in garage for PMCC 1599190956388

CPH-Taycan4S

First Name
Christoph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 Porsche 911, e-golf
Country flag
Turn off the breaker and rotate the receptacle (socket) 180 degrees. An extension cable seems to be not an elegant long-term solution.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Last edited:

CinVinman

First Name
VInce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
A cheaper option might be to have the outlet flipped upside down so the cord does not have to wrap around.
This is actually pretty easily accomplished DIY. Shut off power at the breaker, unscrew panel and flip the thing, reinstall panel. Two hints - the wires are stiff so you may need to unscrew one or two from the plug, flip, then reinstall them and you want to make sure the ground is not touching anything else.
Sponsored