Schlossj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
New question for your former-life electricians: do you know how the PMCC will handle generator-provided power (which as I understand fluctuates based on load) ? I have a 20kW generator that will "try" to charge the car during a blackout - anyone know if there will be a material impact to charging time / amperage / voltage delivered?
Sponsored

MN_taycan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 Audi S7, 1972 Datsun 240Z
Country flag
Wow, didn't even know I was lucky to get one of the "old" longer PMCC cables. Yes, runs a bit warm, but don't have to do electrical gymnastics to plug it in to 1 of 2 charging locations.

BruceF

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Does anyone who ordered their Taycan without the Porsche Charging Dock know - does it come with the Basic Wall Mount for the PMCC or do you have to order that separately?

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Does anyone who ordered their Taycan without the Porsche Charging Dock know - does it come with the Basic Wall Mount for the PMCC or do you have to order that separately?
It comes with the mount.

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes, when I took delivery of my Taycan 4S in June, I *DID NOT* order the Charging Dock (I had purchased one prior to delivery on eBay). My car *DID* include the Basic Wall Mount.

Toby

BruceF

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Another question for electrical (and audit-video) experts out there....

I am choosing the location for a NEMA 14-50 outlet (that may eventually be upgraded to a 60 Amp circuit for a ClipperCreek HCS-60 -- the copper being run will support both).

The best location for it is on a wall that backs our Media Room (i.e. AV Receiver, TV and wall mounted speakers). Specifically the charger will likely be within a foot or two of the back side of the right channel speaker and within 3 or 4 feet of the back side of the AV Receiver, PS3 Blue Ray Player, etc.

So the question is - will either the current to the NEMA 14-50 plug or the PMCC itself cause some kind of interference that will affect the audio or video? It seems like the speaker that will be behind it is the biggest concern - does anyone know specifically if that will be an issue?

I have an alternate location - but it is across the garage and would have the charge cable running across our normal foot traffic path to enter the house from the garage. I could also try to mount the charger up higher to add an extra foot or so of distance from the speaker if that would make a difference.

Any help / input would be appreciated.

And if you have a setup like this and either have experienced an issue or have seen that it works without issues - it would be great to hear your input as well.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Another question for electrical (and audit-video) experts out there....

I am choosing the location for a NEMA 14-50 outlet (that may eventually be upgraded to a 60 Amp circuit for a ClipperCreek HCS-60 -- the copper being run will support both).

The best location for it is on a wall that backs our Media Room (i.e. AV Receiver, TV and wall mounted speakers). Specifically the charger will likely be within a foot or two of the back side of the right channel speaker and within 3 or 4 feet of the back side of the AV Receiver, PS3 Blue Ray Player, etc.

So the question is - will either the current to the NEMA 14-50 plug or the PMCC itself cause some kind of interference that will affect the audio or video? It seems like the speaker that will be behind it is the biggest concern - does anyone know specifically if that will be an issue?

I have an alternate location - but it is across the garage and would have the charge cable running across our normal foot traffic path to enter the house from the garage. I could also try to mount the charger up higher to add an extra foot or so of distance from the speaker if that would make a difference.

Any help / input would be appreciated.

And if you have a setup like this and either have experienced an issue or have seen that it works without issues - it would be great to hear your input as well.
Interesting question, and I don't know the answer. Maybe ask on an A/V forum like AVSForum? But why can't you run the charger cable along the ceiling from the other side of the garage, instead of the floor?

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
There's no transformer in the EVSE, so I wouldn't expect any issues when things are given the distance apart you are stating.

Of course, if the speaker wire is close and parallel to a high-current wire there could be some inductive coupling, but at the distances you mention, I'd seriously doubt any audible effect from the EVSE or the wire to it.

I'd hope there'd not even be much EMI from the initial switch on when plugging in, which would be the biggest thing that might be noticed.

BruceF

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Interesting question, and I don't know the answer. Maybe ask on an A/V forum like AVSForum? But why can't you run the charger cable along the ceiling from the other side of the garage, instead of the floor?
Thanks Dave T,

Good idea asking AVSForum - I may give that a shot. One benefit here at least for the PMCC is people on this forum will know more about that than anywhere else. But for general charging AVSForum (or maybe a larger EV forum might be a good place to check). If I post else where and get feedback I will circle back with what I hear.

Regarding running the cable along the ceiling - the cable from the PMCC is 24 feet and the extra up and down distance might not work - but it is a very interesting idea I had not considered and I'll give it some thought. Do you know if anyone else has done anything like that? If so - how do they holster the end when it is hanging from something on the ceiling? If you have seen a post on this please send it my way.

BruceF

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
There's no transformer in the EVSE, so I wouldn't expect any issues when things are given the distance apart you are stating.

Of course, if the speaker wire is close and parallel to a high-current wire there could be some inductive coupling, but at the distances you mention, I'd seriously doubt any audible effect from the EVSE or the wire to it.

I'd hope there'd not even be much EMI from the initial switch on when plugging in, which would be the biggest thing that might be noticed.
Thanks @Miwa - appreciate the feedback. I am leaning towards putting it in the best location for functionality and worst case if there is a problem then moving it. And I can report back either way. And good point about the speaker wire. I will let the electrician know and hopefully he can check and avoid running the vertical conduit right next to the speaker wire.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks Dave T,

Good idea asking AVSForum - I may give that a shot. One benefit here at least for the PMCC is people on this forum will know more about that than anywhere else. But for general charging AVSForum (or maybe a larger EV forum might be a good place to check). If I post else where and get feedback I will circle back with what I hear.

Regarding running the cable along the ceiling - the cable from the PMCC is 24 feet and the extra up and down distance might not work - but it is a very interesting idea I had not considered and I'll give it some thought. Do you know if anyone else has done anything like that? If so - how do they holster the end when it is hanging from something on the ceiling? If you have seen a post on this please send it my way.
I have thought about using something like this to hang the cable end from the ceiling:

https://www.amazon.com/Reelcraft-TB-05-Tool-Balancer-5-Pound/dp/B002CVTKK6

The idea is that you could reach up and pull it down to plug into the car.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag

BruceF

First Name
Bruce
Threads