First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS. Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Are they 400v or 800v?

BP & Shell seem to be favouring these units & I’m confused.

Google hasn’t helped much neither.
Sponsored

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
Are they 400v or 800v?

BP & Shell seem to be favouring these units & I’m confused.

Google hasn’t helped much neither.
here’s hoping for 400v 150Kw just so I can be smug about optioning the 150kw charger that’s been completely useless so far.

gila4

First Name
Ila
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Just bumping this up in case anyone has more found out more info (can't find anything on the internet about them)

Finishing speccing my Taycan (woop woop) and wondering whether I should add the 150kW DC option...I know adding it would give me peace of mind but I also don't like the idea of wasting money (for as little as it might be) on something I'll ever use :)

Are they more common in Europe perhaps?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I suspect 400V as 800V onboard capability is still a novelty with most manufacturers. Existing 50kW are 400V so I assume some of this will be upgrades to existing infrastructure as well as net new.

Either way it is a positive albeit long overdue step forward!

Hands up who didn’t option 150kW DC in UK?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Just bumping this up in case anyone has more found out more info (can't find anything on the internet about them)

Finishing speccing my Taycan (woop woop) and wondering whether I should add the 150kW DC option...I know adding it would give me peace of mind but I also don't like the idea of wasting money (for as little as it might be) on something I'll ever use :)

Are they more common in Europe perhaps?
No brainier - tick that box and skip 22kW AC (if selected)!

BTW - as far as I can recall Great Britain, The British Isles, England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Eire are still part of Europe unless there was some seismic activity that I missed whilst on this forum :p

gila4

First Name
Ila
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Ahaha...fair! I guess I should have said "mainland Europe" :D
Anyhow, I am inclined to select it yes, it but I would still love to understand what charger does what!

On an unrelated note: how do you like the volcano gray? I am still torn between that and gentian blue!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I love Volcano Grey. My Panamera Sport Tourismo was the same colour. It looks great in the sun (when it shines) and has a decent amount of silver fleck in the paint to make it pop. I'm not a fan of dark window surrounds and so with grey I opt for silver / chrome which just looks a winning combination.

Interiorwise - extended leather black and crayon - classic tones all round.

In terms of charging:

1. The battery is 800V and therefore can take advantage of ultra fast DC chargers (270kW and above) if you can find one. As these chargers push the current at 800V then no conversion is necessary and is the main party trick of the Taycan's charging capability.

2. Fast chargers prevail and are growing in number. 150kW DC is the norm but the charge is delivered at 400V. For this to charge the car then it needs a DC to DC voltage converter. For this reason Porsche provides a 150kW 400V DC converter. Without it you can only charge at 50kW (which is not bad). For the small charge it makes sense to have this option.

3. So that's the DC part dealt with (just remember DC equates to rapid and ultra fast charging). Further down the tree comes AC charging primarily for home use but also public charging stations.

4. The Taycan has 11kW AC onboard fast charging capability by default which is great for overnight charging at home.

5. At considerable cost you can specify an onboard 22kW charger (twice as fast as 11kW AC) however for home use you will need a) three phase electrical supply and b) the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect or other 22kW capable charger to take advantage. Note that 11kW charging also requires 3 phase supply to get 11kW however for home use overnight charging on single phase (STD UK home supply) will give you 7.4kW charging - perfect for overnight top ups.

Check what public charging stations are available to you. If 50kW DC then great, 150kW (you'll need the 150kW DC 400V option to take full advantage), 350kW (nirvana!) you're all set and the car will eat it up, AC charging apart from home is least preferred and really hard to justify the 22kW onboard AC option.

Hope this brain dump helps!

gila4

First Name
Ila
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Thanks a lot, really helpful and much appreciated!

OP
OP
Smithy37

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry to re-visit this but I’ve seen a new charger spring up on the M6 that’s a CCS 150kw (BP Crow Orchard - North West of Wigan) that I was hoping to use when restrictions allow and keep re-reading this comment and getting a tad confused:

2. Fast chargers prevail and are growing in number. 150kW DC is the norm but the charge is delivered at 400V. For this to charge the car then it needs a DC to DC voltage converter. For this reason Porsche provides a 150kW 400V DC converter. Without it you can only charge at 50kW (which is not bad). For the small charge it makes sense to have this option.
So if I understand this correctly, without the on-board DC charger with 150kw, the Taycan will only charge at 50kw unless it’s connected to a charger capable of delivering at 800v?

Does the same apply to 100kw chargers too (car will only charge to 50kw Max)?

I’ve only ever charged at home so far as I’ve not been able to travel anywhere. So trying to understand and learn to make the whole process easier when I do finally start to go further afield.

For what it’s worth I did option the 150kw on-board charging option and very curios to know if ABRP takes that variable into consideration when calculating route planning & charging times. If not, my route will be quicker, or for those not able to make use of 150kw charging it'll give them incorrect journey times.

Again, apologies for being a novice and asking what may appear to be a stupid question.

OP
OP
Smithy37

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Then I read the following:

Yet there’s another twist in this tale. It turns out that, in fact, because legislation means that all the 150kW chargers in the UK have super-modern 960V, they'll charge the Taycan at the full 150kW even if you haven’t added the optional DC on-board charging system. Or at least, according to research that Porsche has done, it will at some 95% or more.

Now I am confused, or does this just simplify things?
:fingerscrossed:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Sorry to re-visit this but I’ve seen a new charger spring up on the M6 that’s a CCS 150kw (BP Crow Orchard - North West of Wigan) that I was hoping to use when restrictions allow and keep re-reading this comment and getting a tad confused:

So if I understand this correctly, without the on-board DC charger with 150kw, the Taycan will only charge at 50kw unless it’s connected to a charger capable of delivering at 800v?

Does the same apply to 100kw chargers too (car will only charge to 50kw Max)?

I’ve only ever charged at home so far as I’ve not been able to travel anywhere. So trying to understand and learn to make the whole process easier when I do finally start to go further afield.

For what it’s worth I did option the 150kw on-board charging option and very curios to know if ABRP takes that variable into consideration when calculating route planning & charging times. If not, my route will be quicker, or for those not able to make use of 150kw charging it'll give them incorrect journey times.

Again, apologies for being a novice and asking what may appear to be a stupid question.
150kW DC charger will charge your car up to 150kW if you have the 150kW 400V DC option on your car.

If not then the max you can get is 50kW.

Both 150kW and 50kW charging stations are 400V only and this is the reason you need the option to max out at 150kW.

For 350kW chargers then your car can charge at this rate (generally up to 270kW) as the charger is 800V as is the Taycan battery and hence no concern on which option you have.

Taycan battery is 800v and so everything is geared to that.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Then I read the following:

Yet there’s another twist in this tale. It turns out that, in fact, because legislation means that all the 150kW chargers in the UK have super-modern 960V, they'll charge the Taycan at the full 150kW even if you haven’t added the optional DC on-board charging system. Or at least, according to research that Porsche has done, it will at some 95% or more.

Now I am confused, or does this just simplify things?
:fingerscrossed:
If the 150kW chargers are 960V (and that's an up-to 960V, likely), then yes you don't need the 400V 150kW option. The Taycan charges just fine on 800V+ 150kW chargers without it. Almost all new 150kW chargers will be the higher voltage version anyway, as that's the way the industry is going.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I don’t believe there are many 400 volt 150KW chargers anyway. The small optional extra is not required for the UK. That said, I have it. If you drive in Europe then get it as they have tons of 400 volt 150KW chargers.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
If the 150kW chargers are 960V (and that's an up-to 960V, likely), then yes you don't need the 400V 150kW option. The Taycan charges just fine on 800V+ 150kW chargers without it. Almost all new 150kW chargers will be the higher voltage version anyway, as that's the way the industry is going.
Not in UK. 50 - 150 kW DC are 400V.

350kW DC are 800V.

End of story.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I don’t believe there are many 400 volt 150KW chargers anyway. The small optional extra is not required for the UK. That said, I have it. If you drive in Europe then get it as they have tons of 400 volt 150KW chargers.
It is. BP is currently rolling out. 150kW is on the ascendency in UK / Ireland.
Sponsored