Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Why was it cut in half?
See thread below.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-amperage-for-normal-usage-of-the-pmcc.12384/

I have a 2021 with extended battery, so that mean the new can charge my car in 5 hours in real?
Do you have the 19.2kW on-board AC charger option? If so, then yes. If not, then not. It will max out at 11kW. Note that you have to have the supply capacity available at the installation location as well.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
this is not a bad price for a fixed/mounted 100/80 amp capable EVSE…but I have no personal experience with this EVSE - it's a hardwired, non-portal unit, and can be adjusted via settings during the install to support charge rates from 12-80 amps…your electrician will configure it to match what ever breaker size they install

$1200'ish for a configurable wall mounted charger is a not a bad/unfair price - it can be installed on any sized circuit from 15-100 amps (breaker) - and since it's hardwired it will not have the overheating/melting problem of the PMC+/PMCC - consult your local licenced/bonded electrician about installing one of these in your home and also consider maximizing your EV breaker size…installing these for example might be a good time to bump your 50 amp breaker to 60 amp breaker so that you can realize your Taycan's maximum charge rate of 11 kW when charging at home.

converting an existing NEMA 14-50/6-50 plug to a hardwired 50 amp circuit is trival (should be less than 2 hours labor for an electrician) - and then you can use this unit with the same circuit breaker at the same 9.6 kW charge rate to replace your now nerfed PMCC/PMC+…
  • Standard North American Taycan's can charge at up to 48 amps - 11 kW (60 amp circuit breaker - 48 amp charge rate)
    • the maximum rate for the Taycan in North America w/Mobile EVSE (PMC+/PMCC or others) is 9.6 kW
    • achieving the 11 kW charge rate requires a hardwired EVSE (like the one in this thread or others) installed on a 60 amp 240V circuit
  • In 2021 MY'Taycan's Porsche offerred an optional $1680 19.2 kW on board charging option
    • achieving this charging rate requires a hardwired EVSE and a 100 amp dedicated 240V circuit installed in your home
      • the charger referenced in this thread can be installed/configured to provide 19.2 kW - but you need both the EVSE & optional upgrade on your Taycan to charge this fast…
    • you do not have to go all the way to 100 amps - you can install an EVSE on any breaker size from 15-100 amps - 60/80 amp breakers represent excellent options
    • personally a 50-80 amp breaker is a pretty good home charging set up and prepares you well for your current and future EV charging needs.
a 9.6 kW charge rate from a mobile EVSE plugged into a NEMA 14-50/6-50 plug is expected and common and is the maximum EVSE charge rate for _ANY_ North American _MOBILE_ EVSE - if you want to charge faster than 9.6 kW you _MUST_ purchase/installed a hardwired EVSE (like this one) due to North American Building/Electrical codes…

the PMCC (the mobile charger w/LCD screen included with the vehicle) has recently been "fixed" to lower it's default charge rate from 40 amps (9.6 kw) to 20 amps (4.8 kw) - Porsche did this because they flunked Electrical Engineering 101 and ship the unit with a power supply cable not up to the task…and it can overheat/melt/cause problems - Porsche felt the best solution to this problem was NOT to actually "fix" the unit or issue a recall or give you your money back, but rather double your charge time so that the unit is not "stressed" during a charging session…

you can purchase an alternate Charger (this one for example) or a number of alternatives for $200 or more than can charge the Taycan reliably at 9.6 kW or more…

YOU DO NOT NEED TO USE A PORSCHE EVSE to charge your Taycan - there are many many many alternative EVSE charging solutions that are affordable, high quality, functional, reliable, practical, and will "just work"…

at the moment I'm very very happy with te EVSE in the link below and I'm rocking 3x48 amp EVSE's on n 80 amp charging circuit using powersharing to charge up to 3 EV's at once…

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...pany…-tesla-j-1772-wall-charger-review.13163/

this charger may not be a bad way to go - and price is fair/reasonable given it's feature set…but I have no personal experience so YMMV

there are however equal alternatives that offer equal quality/feature-set for same/less money…

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
for the adventerous DIY home improvement master you could:
  1. order one of these units
  2. order one of these https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07TD9KPKJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Porsche Taycan New 19.2kW Porsche Wall Charger Connect -- Discounted Price via Black Friday Sale 2022 8478703F-0776-4A7D-B038-07BCC9A09F46

NOTE: EVSE's (including this one) only use 3 wires (2x120V hots + ground) - the fouth wire in this power supply cable (white neutral) will _NOT_ be used, and there is no connection inside this EVSE for the neutral wire - you'll just wire nut it and leave it unconnected inside the unit since it's un-necessary and unused). Green Wire is ground, Black Wire is 120V power, Red Wire is 120V power…hook the ground to the ground inside, and the two HOT's (Black & Red) to the power inputs, ignore the white wire) and you've wired your "hardwired" EVSE to a NEMA 14-50 plug

please turn off the breaker while doing any electrical work.

and simply replace your PMC+/PMCC…and reuse your existing NEMA 14-50 plug

that is possible - but there are non-Porsche EVSE's that can do 9.6 kW and will plug into your existing NEMA 14-50 plugs for way less than $1200'ish

but it's an option…

Disclaimer - don't take home electrical install advise from the internet - and make your own sound judgement as to if you want to proceed in this manner.

the upside of this unit is that today it's a 40 amp 9.6 kW unit - but in the future you could upgrade your EV charging circuit, and just adjust the settings and boom, your 9.6 kW EVSE becomes a 19.2 kW EVSE - so if you upgrade your EV charging circuit (new wire + new breaker) you can just reconfigure this unit and it will then be a faster charger - no need to purchase another EVSE to get faster charging service.

the amazon supply cable referenced here makes this hardwired unit plug&play with your existing NEMA 14-50 plug - you can upgrade and hardwire it later…

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
After Porsche's abysmal track records with not one but two Porsche-branded EVSEs, why anyone would buy this Porsche EVSE is beyond me.

And unlike EVSE's available from many respected EVSE companies, should you need technical assistance for this product from Porsche, your options are Porsche dealer service or Porsche customer service. :headbang:

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
After Porsche's abysmal track records with not one but two Porsche-branded EVSEs, why anyone would buy this Porsche EVSE is beyond me.

And unlike EVSE's available from many respected EVSE companies, should you need technical assistance for this product from Porsche, your options are Porsche dealer service or Porsche customer service. :headbang:
these are excellent points - I'm trying to be diplomatic and not speak "ill" of Porsche - but in this space I recommend serious consideration of non-Porsche alternatives…

@Tooney advise is well considered and wise!

swag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 cross turismo
Country flag
Does this offer any different / better charging than the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect that came with my 2000 Taycan Turbo?
I have same question. It is better than the charger that came with my 1998 Taycan turbo ?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have same question. It is better than the charger that came with my 1998 Taycan turbo ?
yes it will not overheat, and it will run at a full 9.6 kW - it is 'better' in that since it is not mobile - it can be configured to run at more than 9.6 kW if you have bigger 240V circuit installed…

the EVSE that was included with your Taycan maximum charge rate is 9.6 kW (40 amps @ 240V) - this unit can be configured and installed to provide upto 19.2 kW (80 amps @ 240V) - this will Charge your Standard taycan at 11 kW (rather than 9.6 kW) and future EV's you may own (Ford F150 lightening) at a full 19.2 kW charge rate…

it's not better/worse - it's different, but it is not constrained by the limits of mobile EVSE's which can never charge at any rate greater than 9.6 kW in North America.

asking if it's "better" than the Mobile PMCC/PMC+ included with your Taycan is a trick question - because as of 2 months ago Porsche no longer recommends using their mobile charger at it's fully specified 9.6 kW charge rate, because they screwed up - the mobile Porsche units are now recommended by Porsche to only be used at 4.8 kW (1/2 speed) to avoid nasty safety issues…

so when you say is it better? do you mean better than prosche's mobile charger _IF_ It actually worked as advertised - if that is the question then I can say "slightly better"

if your question is…is this better than Porsche's charger if you listen to their advice and only run the Mobile unit at 4.8 kW taking twice as long to charge your Taycan - then the answer is - yes this unit is better because Porsche does not have to recommend you run it at 1/2 speed to avoid overheating/melting…

however there are non Porsche alternatives that can run at a full 9.6 kW, not overheat, reliable, practical, smaller, lighter for $400 or less that can do the same thing…

so it all depends what your goals are -
  • this is a competitive product price & feature wise for an 80 amp capable EVSE - EVSE's that can charge at more than 60 amps are commonly $1000+
  • this however is a very expensive product if all you want is a 40 amp capable EVSE - because I can recommend the WallBox for less than $700 that will do the same thing.

Last edited:

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
Why was it cut in half, posted in response to Tazboy81
Don't know your religious denomination but if you are Christian and their are any Cardinals in our community (I am sure there are) you should be up for sainthood. You clearly have the patience of a saint.

Tazboy81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G550, RR, Taycan
Country flag
I just have this listed on my sticker
"On-Board 150 KW/40OV DC Charger" i guess this is not the 19.xkwh we are looking for, correct?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just have this listed on my sticker
"On-Board 150 KW/40OV DC Charger" i guess this is not the 19.xkwh we are looking for, correct?
correct - that is for public/commerical DCFast charging - it has nothing to do with L2/AC/Residential charging - two separate charging systems - the vehicle supports both.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag

I've been using the PWCC since May, when my car arrived. It has been pretty much flawless. The only issue I had, and it didn't affect charging, was having to manually download the latest software to get rid of a certificate error. It was a pretty simple process.

I do have the 19.2kWH option and I've been averaging between 18kWH and 19kWH when charging. No complaints about the PWCC from me :like: Since I have solar panels, but no battery, I usually charge during the day when I can since I produce more than I consume on most days.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
there are however equal alternatives that offer equal quality/feature-set for same/less money…
Or even more features (such as load sharing between chargers) for less money (if using 48A or less).

If you need 80A/19.2KWh and load sharing is not required, this is not a bad option even price-wise (speaking from just looking at the specs, have never had any personal experience with it).

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I've been using the PWCC since May, when my car arrived. It has been pretty much flawless. The only issue I had, and it didn't affect charging, was having to manually download the latest software to get rid of a certificate error. It was a pretty simple process.

I do have the 19.2kWH option and I've been averaging between 18kWH and 19kWH when charging. No complaints about the PWCC from me :like: Since I have solar panels, but no battery, I usually charge during the day when I can since I produce more than I consume on most days.
Does the PWCC have a public API to allow you to connect it to your solar controller, or an external current transformer monitoring solar production, so that your car charge rate (current) will match your solar production to maximize your solar energy storage?
Sponsored