daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Does the PWCC have a public API to allow you to connect it to your solar controller, or an external current transformer monitoring solar production, so that your car charge rate (current) will match your solar production to maximize your solar energy storage?
to my knowledge this sort of feature requires/supported in conjunction with the Porsche Home Energy Manager (HEM) - which is not (yet?) a thing for the North American market.

but the PMCC does integrate with with the HEM in other markets - and the HEM does have some awareness of solar.
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
to my knowledge this sort of feature requires/supported in conjunction with the Porsche Home Energy Manager (HEM) - which is not (yet?) a thing for the North American market.

but the PMCC does integrate with with the HEM in other markets - and the HEM does have some awareness of solar.
I wonder if people in the USA just buy a Canadian version? Canada has pretty much same power standards.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wonder if people in the USA just buy a Canadian version? Canada has pretty much same power standards.
I would avoid this given lack of technical support - it's a pretty tricky items to install (I effectively have a HEM like system w/Solar & Tesla Powerwalls) - installing all the current taps, and getting it working right requires a pretty savy electrician and some digitial expertise and potential customer support calls to in this case Porsche - I'm very very dubious of Porsche North America customer support having any idea what they are talking about if I were to call them from California about a Canadian HEM system not working with my PG&E system, Enphase Solar and Tesla Powerwalls…yeah that's not a good plan for happiness - but YMMV.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would avoid this given lack of technical support - it's a pretty tricky items to install (I effectively have a HEM like system w/Solar & Tesla Powerwalls) - installing all the current taps, and getting it working right requires a pretty savy electrician and some digitial expertise and potential customer support calls to in this case Porsche - I'm very very dubious of Porsche North America customer support having any idea what they are talking about if I were to call them from California about a Canadian HEM system not working with my PG&E system, Enphase Solar and Tesla Powerwalls…yeah that's not a good plan for happiness - but YMMV.
I remember seeing an EVSE's with a much simpler setup (I cannot recall right now which manufacturer it was). The solution consisted simply of a a current sensing coil input which you put around a wire coming out of your solar inverter, and in the EVSE just enable the option to follow the sensed solar production current. I guess simplicity is not Porsche's strength.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
There were posts in other threads that said the PMCC or PMC+ did not properly charge non-Porsche EVs. Does this latest Porsche EVSE successfully charge non-Porsche EVs?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I remember seeing an EVSE's with a much simpler setup (I cannot recall right now which manufacturer it was). The solution consisted simply of a a current sensing coil input which you put around a wire coming out of your solar inverter, and in the EVSE just enable the option to follow the sensed solar production current. I guess simplicity is not Porsche's strength.
Extending that, it seems like you could just put a current transformer on it as a reference and then modulate the control pilot after the EVSE. Have it built into a small handle that fits between the EVSE J1772 plug and the vehicle socket. It needs an additional cable run back to the solar CT, but seems doable and would work on any EVSE.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There were posts in other threads that said the PMCC or PMC+ did not properly charge non-Porsche EVs. Does this latest Porsche EVSE successfully charge non-Porsche EVs?
it is a distinct possibility there could be compatibility problems - I've had unfortunate experience with the PMC+/PMCC and non-VW/Audi/Porsche vehicles - the PMCC can not successfully charge my son's 2022 Model Y or a neighbor's Bolt…

I'd be more comfortable with a non-Porsche EVSE from a trusted EVSE vendor.

I have no-Data or personal experience from Porsche Wall Charger.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Extending that, it seems like you could just put a current transformer on it as a reference and then modulate the control pilot after the EVSE. Have it built into a small handle that fits between the EVSE J1772 plug and the vehicle socket. It needs an additional cable run back to the solar CT, but seems doable and would work on any EVSE.
Good idea, but for a one-off just for your I would just find an existing EVSE which already does this, or just get the OpenEVSE and modify it to your needs (it might actually already have the solar rate control already, I haven't checked in a while).

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good idea, but for a one-off just for your I would just find an existing EVSE which already does this, or just get the OpenEVSE and modify it to your needs (it might actually already have the solar rate control already, I haven't checked in a while).
Well, I don’t have any solar so it probably doesn’t matter for me personally. It was just on my mind because I’ve thought about either making an EVSE from scratch with my kid as a project or rebuilding mine with more features and a web interface.

HowDoYouChargeIt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 CT 4S
Country flag
I think I have 2 phase 208 power at my condo, this evse looks like it's compatible with that. Are there others I should look at that support this power supply?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think I have 2 phase 208 power at my condo, this evse looks like it's compatible with that. Are there others I should look at that support this power supply?
most EVSE will support 208V - but I know ClipperCreek works fine as well and I would expect no issues with Tesla or Chargepoint or Wallbox.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Worth noting two things.

1. It’s a two-wire connection at the car. Voltage is always referenced between two points (it doesn’t exist in isolation at a single point). It’s a differential. The fact that the voltages are out of phase relative to each other as referenced to ground is not relevant*. It’s a single voltage at 208VAC presented to the EVSE and car. The 208 is important. The two-phase is not.

So, below, while the red and blue would be the 120VAC of each phase to ground, the green would be the 208 as a single voltage to the car. Notice the expressions. It’s just the difference between the red and blue.

Porsche Taycan New 19.2kW Porsche Wall Charger Connect -- Discounted Price via Black Friday Sale 2022 CFDE799A-05E9-454F-BB52-80C067F12580

2. Power is proportional to voltage. Most L2 EVSE kW rating (that I’ve seen) are listed for 240VAC. The reduced voltage will reduce your power by 208/240 or about 87% of what the EVSE lists. So, if you are looking at a 19.2kW EVSE, at 208VAC, it will be 16.6kW. Or a 9.6kW EVSE will instead be 8.3kW.

And charging time is inversely proportional to power. Because you are filling your car with energy and power is just the rate of energy.

*The only time it would matter is maybe for an EVSE that used the neutral for a control circuit. I don’t know if any do or not.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
most EVSE will support 208V - but I know ClipperCreek works fine as well and I would expect no issues with Tesla or Chargepoint or Wallbox.
I have personally used Tesla HPWC’s up to 80A at 208V.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
*The only time it would matter is maybe for an EVSE that used the neutral for a control circuit. I don’t know if any do or not.
The other possible situation is if the EVSE or onboard car charger sees 208V as something incorrect (if expecting only 240V) or it has bugs because the manufacturer didn’t do actual testing at 208V, even though 208V is explicitly in the standard.
Out of curiosity, has anyone charged a Taycan from 208V?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The other possible situation is if the EVSE or onboard car charger sees 208V as something incorrect (if expecting only 240V) or it has bugs because the manufacturer didn’t do actual testing at 208V, even though 208V is explicitly in the standard.
Out of curiosity, has anyone charged a Taycan from 208V?
Well, that’s where the 208 is relevant. But the fact that it’s “two-phase” is still not.
Sponsored