Muskoka

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shelby GT500, Taycan GTS, Mach E
Country flag
I am new to the Porsche lineup and would am looking to purchase either a new 2022 4S or a 2020 Turbo S. There are a few used Turbo S in Canada with approx 5-6000km. Are there significant improvements from 2020 to 2022 that I would be missing out on? I have an opportunity to wait 3 months as well and pick up a demo GTS. Any input would be appreciated.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Muskoka

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did Porsche update the 2020’s to have Plug & Charge?

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
Did Porsche update the 2020’s to have Plug & Charge?
No plug and charge on 2020s. I don’t miss it on my 2020 Turbo S because I rarely use public chargers (99% of my charging is at home and for some reason the few times I use Electrify America I have had a bug where it just starts charging for free when I plug in without me doing anything). Your use case may be different.

I was in a similar situation to you. I bought my 2020 Turbo S as a CPO used car with 3,500 miles on it in September of last year (2021) and it was first sold to the previous owner in July of 2020. It was in immaculate shape and virtually indistinguishable from a new one and it ended up being only about $15K more than the very highly optioned new 4S I was considering ordering. The previous owner had a bad hip and ingress and egress proved too difficult and low (at least that’s what the salesman told me when I ordered it when I questioned why it was sold back). For me, it worked out to be an excellent decision and I don’t regret for one second going with the 2020 CPO Turbo S vs. what at the time would have been a new 2021 4S. If I had to make the decision today for a 2020 Turbo S vs. 2022 GTS that would probably make me stop and think for a few minutes longer but so long as the Turbo S is in excellent shape (i.e., clean CARFAX, not a lemon, not a dealer demo with a ton of miles, looks and feels brand new and the extra 2 years warranty you get from a CPO), I would still go that route for the savings and to get into a Turbo S. They still look and feel exactly the same inside and out vs. a new 2022 model with the exception of PnC and maybe some slight under the hood improvements on PCM and battery tech. If any of the above are not true on the used model you are looking at and the compromises are greater than I would start to lean towards a new purchase instead.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP

Muskoka

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No plug and charge on 2020s. I don’t miss it on my 2020 Turbo S because I rarely use public chargers (99% of my charging is at home and for some reason the few times I use Electrify America I have had a bug where it just starts charging for free when I plug in without me doing anything). Your use case may be different.

I was in a similar situation to you. I bought my 2020 Turbo S as a CPO used car with 3,500 miles on it in September of last year (2021) and it was first sold to the previous owner in July of 2020. It was in immaculate shape and virtually indistinguishable from a new one and it ended up being only about $15K more than the very highly optioned new 4S I was considering ordering. The previous owner had a bad hip and ingress and egress proved too difficult and low (at least that’s what the salesman told me when I ordered it when I questioned why it was sold back). For me, it worked out to be an excellent decision and I don’t regret for one second going with the 2020 CPO Turbo S vs. what at the time would have been a new 2021 4S. If I had to make the decision today for a 2020 Turbo S vs. 2022 GTS that would probably make me stop and think for a few minutes longer but so long as the Turbo S is in excellent shape (i.e., clean CARFAX, not a lemon, not a dealer demo with a ton of miles, looks and feels brand new and the extra 2 years warranty you get from a CPO), I would still go that route for the savings and to get into a Turbo S. They still look and feel exactly the same inside and out vs. a new 2022 model with the exception of PnC and maybe some slight under the hood improvements on PCM and battery tech. If any of the above are not true on the used model you are looking at and the compromises are greater than I would start to lean towards a new purchase instead.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for your input. My charging would be 99% at home as well.

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Plug and Charge was supposed to be a part of the major 2020 update (along with CarPlay etc) and it did work for some of the fleet. My 2020 4S worked for up until earlier this year when either EA or Porsche did some update (it was during a time where charging in general at EA was widespread challenges) and then it didn't. Since then, I haven't read about anyone on the forum with a 2020 that retained it.

OP
OP

Muskoka

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Plug and Charge was supposed to be a part of the major 2020 update (along with CarPlay etc) and it did work for some of the fleet. My 2020 4S worked for up until earlier this year when either EA or Porsche did some update (it was during a time where charging in general at EA was widespread challenges) and then it didn't. Since then, I haven't read about anyone on the forum with a 2020 that retained it.
Did you get the CarPlay and retain that?

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
Funny, I was in the same boat. About a few months ago I was looking for a 2020 Turbo (brand new 4S about the same price point with wanted options and current market conditions). My search was limited due to 2+1 rear seats being a must. However, I came across a 2022 4S with 1800 miles on it, extensively optioned--battery plus, Burmester, performance package, PCSB, 21' Mission E Wheels, premium package, and a bunch of other little bits. MSRP was a little over 130k, then tack on current market conditions and I could've very well had a used Turbo. But...my dealer CPO'ed the 4S UNLIMITED MILES until 2027. Pretty much a no brainer...
Sponsored