2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
We are on v15.5 in US.

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, BMW 535, Taycan 4S
Country flag
It is usually BMW that gets to the Apple goodies first; as they are the preferred partners.
Wireless CarPlay, full screen CarPlay, other apps support - everything was first available on BMW models.

Hoping Porsche hardware is capable of these new Apple features launching later this year…

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, BMW 535, Taycan 4S
Country flag
It is usually BMW that gets to the Apple goodies first; as they are the preferred partners.
Wireless CarPlay, full screen CarPlay, other apps support - everything was first available on BMW models.

Hoping Porsche hardware is capable of these new Apple features launching later this year…
The screen shots in the first post seem to show the car display from a typical BMW running BMW iDrive 8.

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag

tomtom901

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD ST
Country flag
OP
OP
Oink

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Yeah BMW has navigation support for the IC via both CarPlay and Android Auto. Lucky. It's the main reason I don't bother with CarPlay anymore.

Irv09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2020; Panamera GTS; 911
Country flag
We are struggling to get Porsche to allow the early Taycans to update to PCM 6. I cannot imagine Porsche will allow this technology to display the primary driver display information. I think what Apple announced takes the Porsche ideal of OTA updates to a new level and the track record with the Taycan to date is not ready for this update.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Repost.

OP
OP
Oink

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Haha. Indeed. Will definitely install the beta to test the new base CarPlay however.

I do find CarPlay quite limiting since there's no seeking in audio, no syncing with ambient light, and the most glaring problem -- no synced navigation which leads to no preconditioning.

swhsv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
From the Apple web page about iOS 16 preview and the upcoming “Next generation of CarPlay”:
“Vehicle announcements coming in late 2023”

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
On top of the slow updates as is, I remember reading somewhere that VW Group is moving to an Android Automotive based OS, with the Macan EV being the first model supporting it. That may have an impact on CarPlay support once released.

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
On top of the slow updates as is, I remember reading somewhere that VW Group is moving to an Android Automotive based OS, with the Macan EV being the first model supporting it. That may have an impact on CarPlay support once released.
probably not - many mfg's run android based operating systems for infotainment that also support CarPlay (Honda/Toyota if memory serves). at the end of the day android is just the underpinnings, which is a lot better than a lot of the proprietary systems (like from Blackberry of all places) that have been in use for some time, since you can hire android engineers (from consumer electronics) and have their experience be applicable easily.
Sponsored