New charging error, won’t charge per the timer/profile

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
Is anyone not getting their profile to charge to the correct percentage? I just got back my car from a month’s visit to the dealer from a supposedly unrelated issue and now with the new PMCC update, I can’t get the charger to complete the daily charge to 85%. Some days it will only charge to 70% and others to 84%. My Porsche app always has a charge error. I have reset the PMCC and deleted the profiles and timer but nothing fixes the problem. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Can you post your settings?
Edit, never mind. I see you have a charge error. Any info on the PMCC?
I had a charge error last night and my (non-Porsche) EVSE had a message on it.

OP
OP
rquinton

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
Can you post your settings?
Edit, never mind. I see you have a charge error. Any info on the PMCC?
I had a charge error last night and my (non-Porsche) EVSE had a message on it.
I did have one time a unit limit error but haven’t seen it again. It might have something to do with the PMCC update. The dealer has been no help.

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
I would doubt the problem is with the PMCC. It does not control wether your car will charge or not. If it is not connected to a HEMS it doesn‘t even provide limits to the car. The PMCC can‘t make the car stop charging on its own.

So if the car stops charging, it is much more likely to be an issue with the car, maybe the battery management or the On-Board-Charger.

I also sometimes have an issue where the car stops charging and that problem is then only shown in the Porsche app or in the car itself.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Is anyone not getting their profile to charge to the correct percentage? I just got back my car from a month’s visit to the dealer from a supposedly unrelated issue and now with the new PMCC update, I can’t get the charger to complete the daily charge to 85%. Some days it will only charge to 70% and others to 84%. My Porsche app always has a charge error. I have reset the PMCC and deleted the profiles and timer but nothing fixes the problem. Thoughts?
I have the same setup and software update. No issues so far.

Note that the car controls the charging session and it's onboard AC charger does the charging. The PMCC simply provides the electrical supply safely.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would doubt the problem is with the PMCC. It does not control wether your car will charge or not. If it is not connected to a HEMS it doesn‘t even provide limits to the car. The PMCC can‘t make the car stop charging on its own.
This is not completely accurate. If the EVSE faults, then the car stops charging. This happened to me last night as per my post above. So, yes the EVSE can make the car stop charging on its own. Anything upstream that can open the circuit can make the car stop charging.
And if this happens, the car will report a charging error.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@rquinton do you have this issue with the ports on both sides of the car? I would try the other port if you haven’t already.

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
This is not completely accurate. If the EVSE faults, then the car stops charging. This happened to me last night as per my post above. So, yes the EVSE can make the car stop charging on its own. Anything upstream that can open the circuit can make the car stop charging.
And if this happens, the car will report a charging error.
Correct, it is only used in case of some kind of power failure. But then the car would simply stop charging and most likely not showing an error, but the EVSE would show an error.

If the car shows a charging error and the EVSE does not, then this is not such a power failure and a problem of the EV Itself.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Correct, it is only used in case of some kind of power failure. But then the car would simply stop charging and most likely not showing an error, but the EVSE would show an error.
Why do you say the car would most likely not show a charging error? My car showed a charging error when this happened. I haven’t done any further testing, but I think it makes sense if the car experiences an expected loss of power.

Last edited:

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
Because if the charger simply stops charging, it is viewed from the car the same way as if no power is currently available. It can only show an error, if such an error state is provided. An error in IEC61851/J1772 is only state information communicated between the EV and EVSE, it never provides a reason.

The EVSE usually doesn‘t simply fault, you need a serious power issue that triggers the EVSE to stop the charging process. In that case, an electrician should take a look at the setup and power lines etc.

OP
OP
rquinton

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@rquinton do you have this issue with the ports on both sides of the car? I would try the other port if you haven’t already.
I switch to the other port. It didn’t get a charging error but it also didn’t charge at all last night. Dealer said to delete the profile and timer and start again. I did but nothing changed. Thoughts?

OP
OP
rquinton

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OP
OP
rquinton

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok so AC charging works but use of profiles and timers doesn’t? To be clear Direct Charging is not DC charging.
Correct. Direct charging is at home. Left port doesn’t get a charging error but right one does on the app but neither charges to the profile/timer. Porsche is trying to figure out why.
Sponsored