First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
We'll start with the bonus:
"11. Avoid repeated or prolonged use of the Porsche Connect smartphone app. Establishing a connection between the app and the vehicle can lead to a discharged 12-volt battery."

This is from this document: "Information on parking or storing the Taycan." dated Oct 19, 2020.
Sponsored

Attachments

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
Thanks for forwarding the notice. Pretty crappy that they've managed to make an app that plays so badly with the car.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's fascinating to me that they can't figure out how to fix it (since I first reported it to them in March?) and so they have to note it in user documentation.

Porsche: "It's not a bug, it's a feature."
Owners: "No, it's still a Bug."

RRVV17

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, GLS580
Country flag
It's fascinating to me that they can't figure out how to fix it (since I first reported it to them in March?) and so they have to note it in user documentation.

Porsche: "It's not a bug, it's a feature."
Owners: "No, it's still a Bug."
Thanks for sharing Don. The positive is that they issued something and hopefully they are still working in the background. The not-so-positive is they are basically just telling us how to work around the problem vs fixing anything. I love how they tell us to "deactivate the parking brake" probably so that we can still roll the car onto a tow truck?"

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
... I love how they tell us to "deactivate the parking brake" probably so that we can still roll the car onto a tow truck?"
Yes, that was my thought, too!
They are getting tired of the expensive towing and recovery fees covered under warranty.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yes, that was my thought, too!
Well that’s as clear as mud. So when the car’s in long-term storage, try not to use the app too much - just when it is exactly the scenario when you’d want to check on the car regularly. Oh yeah, turn the parking brake off as well to make it easier to steal while in storage. Also not sure why it says to charge the car to 50% then to plug it in and “set the high-voltage battery to charge to 85%”. Surely that means charge to 85% and keep the battery at 85%?

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I wouldn't be suprised if the issue comes from the app running in the background on your phone. I always get warnings on my android phone that my banking app (for example) is using a high amount of power in the background.

I think you have to make sure you acutally close the porsche app and not have it run in the background.

Also the PCM is basically a laptop. It's either on or off, if the phone is connected to the PCM then its on. So if the 12 volt battery dies its because its basically powering a laptop all night.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Why is this surprising or disappointing to anyone? If you have the car in long term storage, of course anything that wakes up the car and asks it to do something will take battery power. How is this much different from having it in long term storage and then turning on the lights on a “repeated or prolonged” basis?

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why is this surprising or disappointing to anyone? If you have the car in long term storage, of course anything that wakes up the car and asks it to do something will take battery power. How is this much different from having it in long term storage and then turning on the lights on a “repeated or prolonged” basis?
Because (apparently) the car isn’t smart enough to recharge the 12v battery from the 800v battery in that situation. The car can become a brick in my driveway because the 12v failed to keep a charge (or incorrectly shuts itself off thinking it has an fatal amount of current draw).

for comparison, I left an i8 in a garage for 4 months. I did nothing special. And I knew it would wake up, and both the 12v and traction batteries were just fine.

shrug.

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
Because (apparently) the car isn’t smart enough to recharge the 12v battery from the 800v battery in that situation. The car can become a brick in my driveway because the 12v failed to keep a charge (or incorrectly shuts itself off thinking it has an fatal amount of current draw).

for comparison, I left an i8 in a garage for 4 months. I did nothing special. And I knew it would wake up, and both the 12v and traction batteries were just fine.

shrug.
Exactly. I'm out of state for the next 6 weeks and sadly apart from my Taycan. I've checked the battery level in my BMW i3 a couple of times even though it's unplugged and in my driveway. My Taycan is in the garage plugged in (with a profile that limits charge to 50%), but I'm terrified to even open the app to look at the state of charge.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
We'll start with the bonus:
"11. Avoid repeated or prolonged use of the Porsche Connect smartphone app. Establishing a connection between the app and the vehicle can lead to a discharged 12-volt battery."

This is from this document: "Information on parking or storing the Taycan." dated Oct 19, 2020.
So you're back?
Why the dramatic goodbye then?
I didn't say goodbye cuz I knew you would pop up somewhere sometime here, lol!
Anyway...
It's indeed a shame that Porsche still hasn't a proper solution for this 12V problem...

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Exactly. I'm out of state for the next 6 weeks and sadly apart from my Taycan. I've checked the battery level in my BMW i3 a couple of times even though it's unplugged and in my driveway. My Taycan is in the garage plugged in (with a profile that limits charge to 50%), but I'm terrified to even open the app to look at the state of charge.
Consider plugging in the charger, locking the car with your key, and using the connect app every week or so to pre-condition the car to 70 degrees (or another temperature you like). This will cause the 800V battery to wake up and also recharge the 12V battery. Try it before you leave.

Our detailer had our Taycan TS for five weeks with no charger. Told them to turn the car on every day for 30 minutes and then manually turn it off. This woke up the 800V battery and recharged the 12V battery. Car never failed. Waking up the 800V battery is the key to recharging the 12V battery.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I find this significant…

Taycan vehicles cannot be charged using the Charge-o-mat Pro maintainer available from Porsche Tequipment.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
If leaving the vehicle parked or in storage for a period greater than 3 months, contact an authorized Porsche dealer for further information and advice.
ROFL - seriously? like the dealer's are going to know what to do?

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Disclaimers are disclaimers. They're more CYA than useful. :p (I mean, the wife's hair dryer has a tag that says "Do not use while sleeping")
Sponsored