NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Consider plugging in the charger, locking the car with your key, and using the connect app every week or so to pre-condition the car to 70 degrees (or another temperature you like). This will cause the 800V battery to wake up and also recharge the 12V battery. Try it before you leave.

Our detailer had our Taycan TS for five weeks with no charger. Told them to turn the car on every day for 30 minutes and then manually turn it off. This woke up the 800V battery and recharged the 12V battery. Car never failed. Waking up the 800V battery is the key to recharging the 12V battery.
That seems like a good idea for long term storage. Tesla figured this out - the MCU would remain on (screen off) so you could quickly connect the mobile app. Some other system would monitor the charge of the 12V battery (which is quite a bit smaller than the Taycan's 12V) and recharge it from the traction battery as needed. Not sure why Porsche isn't doing the same thing. Flip side is you lost about 10 miles of range every day on the Tesla. You could turn of the MCU when the vehicle was off which would get rid of about half of that vampire drain, but then you might have to wait many minutes for a periodic MCU wake-up and check in to do anything like turn on climate or honk the horn because you forgot where in the airport parking garage you parked your car...
Sponsored

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
for comparison, I left an i8 in a garage for 4 months. I did nothing special. And I knew it would wake up, and both the 12v and traction batteries were just fine.
Was your i8 just in the garage doing nothing, or where you doing something that had "repeated or prolonged" use of something that hits the battery? That is the right comparison.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Was your i8 just in the garage doing nothing, or where you doing something that had "repeated or prolonged" use of something that hits the battery? That is the right comparison.
I repeated checked on the BMW Connected app that it was still in my apartment building’s garage. At least once a week.

Now, it may be the case that if nothing changed (ie the car wasn’t opened, started, moved, etc.) that the car didn’t actually wake up. The server showed me the last time it had updated the data, and that usually stayed constant. So, that’s another way to solve that problem: Don’t wake unless you have to. But it must be a little awake... because I could remotely unlock if needed.

After the 4 months, the traction battery hadn’t lost more than 2 or 3%. I forget the exact number. It was 2 years ago.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
So you're back?
Why the dramatic goodbye then?
I didn't say goodbye cuz I knew you would pop up somewhere sometime here, lol!
Anyway...
It's indeed a shame that Porsche still hasn't a proper solution for this 12V problem...
I don’t own a Taycan anymore. But I’ll still occasionally pop in and stir up trouble. Until I don’t.

Martinl

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
We'll start with the bonus:
"11. Avoid repeated or prolonged use of the Porsche Connect smartphone app. Establishing a connection between the app and the vehicle can lead to a discharged 12-volt battery."

This is from this document: "Information on parking or storing the Taycan." dated Oct 19, 2020.
Interesting I noticed that today. I had a Vodafone tracker charging in the centre console via USB. Turned the car off and locked as usual. Later this evening, ran the app on my android phone to check battery (car wasn't plugged in, needed to know I didn't need to charge for the morning). Soon as the app started, I got a notification from the Vodafone app that the tracker in the car had started charging.

So it feels like the app bootstraps the full PCM when it's in use, and can therefore cause a full drain. I still find it odd that this stuff still uses the 12v architecture, but I understand the commercial necessities.

I closed the app, waited a few minutes and checked the Vodafone app which showed the charger as no longer being actively charged.

jheard

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MXP100D. Taycan 4S
Country flag
We'll start with the bonus:
"11. Avoid repeated or prolonged use of the Porsche Connect smartphone app. Establishing a connection between the app and the vehicle can lead to a discharged 12-volt battery."

This is from this document: "Information on parking or storing the Taycan." dated Oct 19, 2020.
Thanks for sharing. This is not surprising any EV will do this if left for long term without being charged and you keep waking the car up. My Tesla would be exactly the same if you keep waking the car from the app. The key here is long term storage, I don't see this as an issue
Sponsored