jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
Watching this now. Unbelievable! Brand new equipment sending travelers to a hotel. Heads need to roll at EA. This kind of broad outage during inclement conditions can literally get people killed.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Honestly, this is pretty sad for CCS charging. There is a lot of money to be allocated to the installation of fast DC chargers over the next couple of years. One can only hope there are robust standards and only those who meet those standards get funded.

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
Honestly, this is pretty sad for CCS charging. There is a lot of money to be allocated to the installation of fast DC chargers over the next couple of years. One can only hope there are robust standards and only those who meet those standards get funded.
How are the standards going to be measured and enforced? I hope it's not people driving to them to test them out.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
This is a really bad look for Electrify America. If those new BTC units fail in extreme cold then I guess Kyle will have to visit a BTC charging unit in June, July, or August in the American southwest where temps get up to 110F to 115F during the day. If the units fail in the extreme cold, then conversely they will probably fail in the extreme heat. There are new BTC chargers already installed in Las Vegas, so hope someone does that analysis.

I realize the vast majority of people will not be on the road in the same conditions Kyle was in last night, but those are life threatening conditions and the chargers need to f*cking work or people will die.

I have yet to be stranded by Electrify America, nor would I be out in weather conditions like what we had in Colorado last night, but Electrify America needs to get its $hit together. This is just pathetic. People depend on their services to work, regardless of the weather.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
amazing - and not in a good way - i continue to be disappointed with the north american CCS network

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
That is scary.

Good to see that ABB chargers were functioning. ABB andTritium chargers are the two suppliers in Ionity network. I have not heard any complaints from Norway,Sweden or Finland? Maybe time to test in cold weather.

Something needs to be done about EA as an organisation. They will bring so much negative reports about EV’s in US now.

masmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, A6 Allroad, GT3
Country flag
That is scary.

Good to see that ABB chargers were functioning. ABB andTritium chargers are the two suppliers in Ionity network. I have not heard any complaints from Norway,Sweden or Finland? Maybe time to test in cold weather.

Something needs to be done about EA as an organisation. They will bring so much negative reports about EV’s in US now.
Seriously though, did they not even bother to do extreme cold weather testing on these BTC units before contracting them to be EA's OEM moving forward? Probably not. Like you suggested, there are likely serious issues with the organization in general when they bet their future and reputation on equipment that hasn't been thoroughly tested. Seems totally insane. But I'm not surprised.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Seriously though, did they not even bother to do extreme cold weather testing on these BTC units before contracting them to be EA's OEM moving forward? Probably not. Like you suggested, there are likely serious issues with the organization in general when they bet their future and reputation on equipment that hasn't been thoroughly tested. Seems totally insane. But I'm not surprised.
I am surprised!

I know VW funded EA, but had thought they managed to install some good German engineering in the organisation. German engineering have a reputation for very good solid engineering, but SW so so? In this case it seems it is not done.

Really scary if you would be caught out in such weather and a low SoC.

bluedonkey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think a big part of the problem is that chargers are left exposed in wide open parking lots, whereas gas pumps are always on covered, well lit and partially sheltered forecourts. That said, even they have increased failure rates in the extreme cold.

It would be nice if EA, and others, could build something more like the charging hubs we are seeing in other countries, and include some protection for the chargers as well as the cars and passengers who need to use them. The one Kyle went to in Germany with the dispensers around the outside walls of a building would allow them to be kept at their ideal operating temperature much more easily.