Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@amamoy2 Plugshare shows Statesville NC EA site down. EA message and user comment posted today, Jan 2. Checking plugshare comments can be useful, but you can't trust the plugshare score. On a road trip, I try to browse plugshare, EA, and MyPorsche apps for status.
Sponsored

Fall7St8nd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Out of Spec reviews did a test with some of the new EA chargers and found that they didn't work in Colorado's cold weather.

Based on Kyle’s professional network, general EV advocacy and direct experience with public charging over the last several years, I do think it is a big deal that he’s no longer recommending CCS compatible EV’s until reliability improves.

In the US, it still feels like we’re in the early adopter part of the cycle… which is why I was good with being patient for an allocation; however, by the time I get my 4S, I’m not convinced the CCS public charging infrastructure will be significantly more reliable than when I originally started lurking on the forum in early 2020. While not an impact to my situation (daily driver, short commute, home charging)… it’s certainly not the progress I expected.

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
Based on Kyle’s professional network, general EV advocacy and direct experience with public charging over the last several years, I do think it is a big deal that he’s no longer recommending CCS compatible EV’s until reliability improves.

In the US, it still feels like we’re in the early adopter part of the cycle… which is why I was good with being patient for an allocation; however, by the time I get my 4S, I’m not convinced the CCS public charging infrastructure will be significantly more reliable than when I originally started lurking on the forum in early 2020. While not an impact to my situation (daily driver, short commute, home charging)… it’s certainly not the progress I expected.
Its not all doom and gloom- I have travelled up and down CA without issues- but you need to plan appropriately - leverage plugshare.. and make sure you have some buffer to go to another charging location if the charge station your planning on using is not working/full etc.. however we have a very long way to go to meet the Tesla supercharger network for reliability and coverage.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Screw Tesla. Screw Elon Musk. Check out the link below about the charging network that can do no wrong. At least no one was injured, so that is good.

https://electrek.co/2023/01/04/tesla-mobile-supercharger-megapack-caught-on-fire/

Here is a picture of another location that caught fire. Love these, so long as no one is injured!

Porsche Taycan New Electrify America (EA) Chargers failing in cold weather Unknown

Honestly, the more people complain about Electrify America and declare they will never road trip the better it is for us who have driven over 50,000 miles in a Taycan in two and a half years and never been stranded. Ever.

DRR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2021 Model Y Performance
Country flag
It’s not just currently unreliable, it’s actually getting worse as the existing chargers are not getting maintained and the new replacements are more problematic.
I agree. Although I did get a different message at my local EA station yesterday from the all to frequent “charging error unplug”:
Porsche Taycan New Electrify America (EA) Chargers failing in cold weather A24AB8A7-B6B2-4748-8549-19FB4CDC11D0

bluedonkey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I agree. Although I did get a different message at my local EA station yesterday from the all to frequent “charging error unplug”:
A24AB8A7-B6B2-4748-8549-19FB4CDC11D0.jpeg
I plugged in at one of those last summer (was the only one available). Was a 150kW unit and it delivered 175kW to the car - I can handle that kind of reduction in power 🤣