New feature to open trunk with your foot?

Mwa3aan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Raptor, Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I could open my trunk with my foot in my Panamera but not in my Taycan. I have comfort access as an option in the Tyacan but even with that enabled I could not open the trunk.

After I got my car back for from the software updates I noticed by accident (i was changing the unlock door setting to unlocking all, not just the driver) that I now had an option under locking/Unlocking where I could enable "Open trunk with sensor". It was disabled.

After enabling that I can now open the trunk with my foot!! huge win :clap::turkey: I can also open the frunk by touching the bumper right under the Porsche badge. This also didn't work before.

Now, It might be that i missed this completely up to this point and that it was always there, but that means it has always been disabled by default. That would be a weird default setting. I am pretty sure I would have seen this before since I really missed it coming from the Panamera and was looking for it.

Has anyone else experienced this or have you always had this foot/sensor feature enabled for opening the trunk?

Anyway, I am pretty happy to have this feature enabled!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
I knew it was a feature. (Foot opening rear trunk) I’m pretty sure I did it early in ownership. But then it wouldn’t work. I gave up. Then someone posted about the checkbox. Mine was turned off. Odd. So I turned it on, and bingo, I can easily open the trunk by kicking invisible monsters under the car.

My frunk always opened by waving at it. Sometimes it took many waves. But eventually it worked.

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche 928S
Country flag
I knew it was a feature. (Foot opening rear trunk) I’m pretty sure I did it early in ownership. But then it wouldn’t work. I gave up. Then someone posted about the checkbox. Mine was turned off. Odd. So I turned it on, and bingo, I can easily open the trunk by kicking invisible monsters under the car.

My frunk always opened by waving at it. Sometimes it took many waves. But eventually it worked

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have not had issues opening the trunk with my foot; however, I have not had similar luck with the frunk.

Please explain how to trigger using Comfort Access to open the frunk; I must not be doing it correctly. Do I presume, correctly, that you need a key with you for Comfort Access to function?

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
I have not had issues opening the trunk with my foot; however, I have not had similar luck with the frunk.

Please explain how to trigger using Comfort Access to open the frunk; I must not be doing it correctly. Do I presume, correctly, that you need a key with you for Comfort Access to function?
The title in the “Good To Know” app is slightly misleading. It says “without a key”. What they mean is “without pressing the buttons on the key”.
Porsche Taycan New feature to open trunk with your foot? BFD27377-260E-4F7F-81C2-F42288427821

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you. I was missing the obvious.

redrocket

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Panamera 4S, Bimmer X3
Country flag
Never knew I needed to check a box to get the foot trick to work. Thanks guys!

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
A very nice video showing Comfort Access for both Trunk and Frunk.
Nice, didn't know you could close the trunk by gesture too.
There do seem to be some strange default settings in the PCM for options like this which means they don't work until you go and activate them. Plenty of other threads on here saying "my [xyz] doesn't work" and the answer is to go and enable it. I know some of these are personal choice, but surely if you've paid for Comfort Access you want to be able to use it, right?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Warning: I have this feature in my Panamera and one time I went through an automatic car wash (I know!) the brushes triggered the gesture and the boot began to open.

I had to react quickly to hold down the open/close button from inside the car to close it immediately before water got in or the brushes removed the boot door.

So if you are going into one of these washes – I was just using it to remove salt from the bodywork – make sure you disable the gesture opening feature in the PCM.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Warning: I have this feature in my Panamera and one time I went through an automatic car wash (I know!) the brushes triggered the gesture and the boot began to open.

I had to react quickly to hold down the open/close button from inside the car to close it immediately before water got in or the brushes removed the boot door.

So if you are going into one of these washes – I was just using it to remove salt from the bodywork – make sure you disable the gesture opening feature in the PCM.
I really don't want to be in a carwash with my car anyway.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
My comfort access worked before the update.
One thing to notice is: move your foot in the line of driving and not swing it.
That way you have 100% recognition instead of 80%...
Also: read the manual.
Stand in the middle.
It's pretty simple actually if you know how to trigger it.
But my frunk is still stubborn, about 50% of the time it won't open.

Kevin2dx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 McLaren 720S
Country flag
My comfort access worked before the update.
One thing to notice is: move your foot in the line of driving and not swing it.
That way you have 100% recognition instead of 80%...
Also: read the manual.
Stand in the middle.
It's pretty simple actually if you know how to trigger it.
But my frunk is still stubborn, about 50% of the time it won't open.
Feels like I have a 2% success rate opening the frunk by sensor :oops:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Feels like I have a 2% success rate opening the frunk by sensor :oops:
I only open it when I'm safe and alone in my garage.
Otherwise my colleagues make fun of me while I'm "caressing" my car....looks so wrong, I admit that wholeheartedly.
Sponsored

Last edited: