bruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 panamera E-hybrid and a 2020 Cayenne Coupe S
Country flag
Thank you for allowing me membership in this forum. I have been searching for information on the internet and came across this website. Needless to say my head is spinning with information. Advance apologies for so many questions. Im overwhelmed.

Currently have a 2019 Panamera E-hybrid as well as a Cayenne Coupe S. I have placed a demand for a Panamera E-hybrid "S". Really wasnt considering a Taycan until a buddy of mine down the street got one. I was actually in Atlanta for the driving experience when the Taycan hit the floor. Prior to this I had a panamera, Panamera S and Cayenne ( decaffeinated not the S)

I was looking at possibly trying to get an allocation for a Taycan Turbo. My questions are:

1. Any of you make the switch from Panamera to Taycan? Any regrets?

2. Is there a section on this site for recommended options when ordering a Taycan? The selections are endless. I built my panamera in like 20 mins. The taycan im a little lost.

3. GTS VS Turbo...... worth an extra 20k?

Thank you folks. Im in Dallas
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
We traded in a first gen Panamera 4 for a Taycan 4S last year.

For us, everything is better about the Taycan except for rear cargo space (which we solved by getting a Macan to use for that purpose; can also consider an ST or CT, but I prefer the lines on the sedan) and range (not an issue for us because the Taycan is only for local use).

If you have no other BEV, you should consider your use of the car and whether the range and current charging infrastructure are adequate. For me, it’s inadequate for long trips (which is why our Taycan is only for local use) but many people deal with it, so it’s clearly possible. It’s fine as long as you know what your getting into.

Also consider how you typically drive and how that affects range. Going 85-90mph everywhere isn’t going to yield great range (as one of our [former?] members learned).

The only option we had on our panamera that I miss on the Taycan is powered rear sunshades.

Options recommendations are going to vary. Do you prioritize comfort? Performance? Appearance? What sections are you lost in? Many are pretty similar to other Porsche models.

Maybe you should make a build and post it asking for feedback.

Is Turbo performance worth the cost? Probably depends on where your coming from, what you want to get out of the car, and what general price point you’re at. I’d prefer more options in a 4S or GTS vs a bare Turbo. But if you can afford and justify the Turbo built the way you want, then have at it. But even a Taycan 4S is going to feel much faster than your Panamera E-Hybrid.

OP
OP

bruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Dang wow . All good points and I appreciate it. Normally I drive about 85-100 but most of my trips are under 50 miles round trip. Should be good on that, right?

Really just hoping for comfortable seats, making sure my family is comfortable and to be able drive it fast when needed.

I wanted the Panamera Turbo Ehybrid but did what you suggested for the taycan and took it down to the E-hybrid ( S) and loaded it up with options. The end result was $164,000 for a 525 HP car. Looks like the Turbo Taycan with 700 HP will end up around 170k-ish so not a terrible difference. My friend had a 911 and bought a 2020 taycan used online. Got it yesterday and said he loves it more than the 911 so now im intrigued.

Is there really going to be a noticeable difference on the GTS VS Turbo?

TK-421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS - 2021 Cayenne
Country flag
The options depend on the model. But in my opinion must haves:

1. Rear wheel steer
2. Air suspension
3. Battery +
4. Sport Chrono

OP
OP

bruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sport chrono is just the clock right? I dont know enough to know what I want yet, but so far I THINK this is my wish list:

Upgraded air system
Leather seats, but not the $3500 upgrade from what I read
18 way
adaptive cruise control

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Normally I drive about 85-100 but most of my trips are under 50 miles round trip. Should be good on that, right?
Yes. Should be fine.
Really just hoping for comfortable seats, making sure my family is comfortable and to be able drive it fast when needed.
Seats are comfortable. Similar to Panamera models, I think. We have ventilated 14-way w/ massage.

I’m 6’ and, while the front seats are fine, the rear is (just slightly) lacking headroom in the sedan (okay otherwise). I think 5’10” would be comfortable in the rear.
Is there really going to be a noticeable difference on the GTS VS Turbo?
I haven’t driven either so won’t comment.

Reactions: B61

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sport chrono is just the clock right?
Clock, GT steering wheel, driving mode selector, and two more driving modes (sport plus and individual).

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Ingress and egress is more difficult, rear seat room is tighter, trunk is smaller, and visibility rearward is worse. Everything else is better in the Taycan.

TK-421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS - 2021 Cayenne
Country flag
I trade my 2020 Turbo for a GTS. Noticeable difference in launch, but other than that I like the GTS.

OP
OP

bruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
visibility rearward is worse.

what do you mean by this?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Taycan = tight quick sports sedan
Panamera = bigger quick luxo sedan that is sporty

if you often have people in the rear seat the Taycan will be fine but not as roomy for your passengers…

EV torque will spoil you and you can't go back - it's the way with all good EV's…

OP
OP

bruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
http://www.porsche-code.com/PN3ULY55

my first stab. Im sure I have the wrong things in here. I was trying to find the air suspension but couldn't find it.

Important things to me ( based on the shortcomings of my panamera)

Comfortable seats that dont look cheap
AC that actually works like an AC and blows cool
adaptive cruise

Oh and my current panamera the windows are tinted. I need tinting but you cant roll them down because they scratch. So dumb.

Draman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I had a Panamera GTS that I traded in on my Taycan Turbo. Panamera is bigger, and drives much bigger. It's also more luxurious inside. The Taycan is on a different planet in terms of speed and handling; it feels much more like a sports car. PCM in the Taycan is worse than it was in the Panamera. Overall I think the Taycan is a much more entertaining car to drive, and even though the second gen Panamera improved the aesthetics quite a bit, it was still a little awkward from certain angles. Taycan is gorgeous from every angle. The only reason I could see someone preferring the Panamera is for long distance driving or for size. You can transport 4 in a Taycan just fine (or conceivably 5 if you opt for the 2+1 backseat), but the Panamera provides much more room.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was trying to find the air suspension but couldn't find it.
Air suspension is standard on Turbo. Standard on everything other than RWD IIRC.
AC that actually works like an AC and blows cool
Um, this is something else I forgot. The vent direction adjust on the Taycan is pretty much dumbest thing ever. There’s no physical adjustment. It’s only through the touch screen. I almost broke the vents on our test drive because I didn’t know that and couldn’t figure out how to move them. The air gets cold and cabin cools just fine. But forget about adjusting the direction the air blows. There are default settings for “focused” and “diffuse” that kind of work. But I used to alway direct vents on my face before. Can’t really do that in the Taycan.
Oh and my current panamera the windows are tinted. I need tinting but you cant roll them down because they scratch.
That’s weird. Our Panamera was tinted and so is our Taycan. No issues rolling down windows.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It looks like you have the metal roof and the insulated glass windows. This is what I have and we have a lot of issues with cell phone reception in the car. Others have also reported similar issues, but it’s not universal. Those with glass roofs appeared to report less problems. But nothing conclusive.

I would not get the insulated glass again. YMMV.
Sponsored