New heating system - shortage of components for new delivery

Domy69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s crossturismo, X5 M50d
Country flag
Bad news, my CT4S started production on February 2, delivery scheduled end of February... but it is stuck (like all new Taycans following my salers) in a parking lot waiting for new heating systems. Anyone else concerned and have more informations about length of delay? I don't have any waiting times given by my dealer :headbang:
Sponsored

TXSchnee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Cayenne E Hybrid, ‘23 Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
My 4S CT is on a boat to the US (Port Galveston) right now, delivery is supposed to be by end of the month. I haven't heard anything about a delay in delivery for the heater issue. I wonder if the stop sale is only for EU and UK bound models?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
My 4S CT is on a boat to the US (Port Galveston) right now, delivery is supposed to be by end of the month. I haven't heard anything about a delay in delivery for the heater issue. I wonder if the stop sale is only for EU and UK bound models?
I think it's global and there's been a shed load of failures in US if you scan the forum.

Approach seems to be of a Titanic nature - full steam ahead with deliveries and then stop sale when at dealership.

TXSchnee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Cayenne E Hybrid, ‘23 Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
I think it's global and there's been a shed load of failures in US if you scan the forum.

Approach seems to be of a Titanic nature - full steam ahead with deliveries and then stop sale when at dealership.
I will double check with my SA this afternoon. I am in Texas, so it is possible it won't be affected at this time (warm weather state) and will just be recalled for the updated part later. I will update if I am affected as well, so we have another data point.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
It looks inevitable there will have to be a recall one there are enough parts in existence.
Not likely to happen as long as there are failures continuing to make repairing broken ones and completing new cars a problem.

Presumably the availability of redesigned parts and cost of repair, now, means delay in delivery of new cars is deemed a better strategy than repairing failures.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It looks inevitable there will have to be a recall one there are enough parts in existence.
Not likely to happen as long as there are failures continuing to make repairing broken ones and completing new cars a problem.

Presumably the availability of redesigned parts and cost of repair, now, means delay in delivery of new cars is deemed a better strategy than repairing failures.
Tesla had a similar issue but as they design and manufacture their own they were able to redesign and remanufacture on their own.

Supply chain is the excuse / reason but if not a fundamental design flaw then I think this is down to forced sourcing of sub-standard parts from lower tier suppliers who simply don't have the quality standards.

I'm just glad that the ongoing depreciation is on Porsche and not me!

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
IME the availability of parts does not impact the decision to issue a recall, which is often involuntary - that is, the overseeing govt agency is aware of the issue, and the manufacturer is simply given the option to go public first. In the US at least, the level of recalls range from “stop driving” to “fyi”.

It is simply an awareness campaign, which also triggers checkins from owners/drivers with their local service shops and helps with the distribution of parts when available.

(The most infamous example of a recall issued without parts availability being, of course, the Takata debacle.)

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
IME the availability of parts does not impact the decision to issue a recall, which is often involuntary - that is, the overseeing govt agency is aware of the issue, and the manufacturer is simply given the option to go public first. In the US at least, the level of recalls range from “stop driving” to “fyi”.

It is simply an awareness campaign, which also triggers checkins from owners/drivers with their local service shops and helps with the distribution of parts when available.

(The most infamous example of a recall issued without parts availability being, of course, the Takata debacle.)
Oops, not familiar with US regulations and had never heard of Takata, whatever that may have been.

I would expect any technical problem causing a safety risk would be mandatory most countries, but the heater failure would not automatically comply, I would have thought, though plenty of people were pushing the steaming up aspect.

Mind you I do see people driving around with very steamed up windows because they put recirculation on even with a working heater - my wife used to do it.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Oops, not familiar with US regulations and had never heard of Takata, whatever that may have been.

I would expect any technical problem causing a safety risk would be mandatory most countries,
Fascinating reading: Takata Corporation - Wikipedia
Tl;dr: 40M+ cars recalled by 12 different manufacturers (in US alone) to replace explodey airbags. This was a worldwide "campaign" (not coordinated, but with similar timelines), and it's still ongoing.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My dealer’s gonna love me at my two year service when they have to do five recalls and multiple software updates. Should probably schedule that now for 9 months from now…

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Tomorrow I'm bringing my car into service for the 20K scheduled maintenance. I also made the service department aware of my now dead heater a couple of weeks ago to hopefully get a jump on securing a replacement part in time to do both the scheduled maintenance and heater simultaneously. Wish me luck (I think I'll need it).

carboard123

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s 1972 911T Targa
Country flag
I just called 2 local dealers. I am being told the replacement heater parts are on national back order with no ETA (in the U.S.). Not good.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Or perhaps articles in the press and online auto websites which first appeared in the last two weeks about this 3+ year old heating failure problem have helped Porsche revise its prior 'sell and fix em when they fail' practice.
Sponsored