Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I am surprised the new ISA regulations aren't being discussed more on car forums.

This will have a huge impact on cars sold in the EU/UK from next July......

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/103530/uk-set-to-adopt-eu-mandated-speed-limiters

I don't want to get into the rights or wrongs of speeding, but I can say if I am doing 70mph on the motorway, I will probably be the slowest car more often than not.

Wondering how those getting their cars after next July feel about it?

Edit;
It is an old link above. Assuming the proposed rules haven't changed?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lars

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 C4S Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
I am surprised the new ISA regulations aren't being discussed more on car forums.

This will have a huge impact on cars sold in the EU/UK from next July......

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/103530/uk-set-to-adopt-eu-mandated-speed-limiters

I don't want to get into the rights or wrongs of speeding, but I can say if I am doing 70mph on the motorway, I will probably be the slowest car more often than not.

Wondering how those getting their cars after next July feel about it?

Edit;
It is an old link above. Assuming the proposed rules haven't changed?
George Orwell was clearly right. …. May as well “chip“ us all and ensure we don’t drink or eat too much as well.

if it’s not retrospectively applied then value of pre cars could be higher. I’ll be keeping my 991 C4S Convertible for a while then too….

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
if it’s not retrospectively applied then value of pre cars could be higher. I’ll be keeping my 991 C4S Convertible for a while then too….
I suspect defeating these will become fairly common though. The article says it relies on GPS and traffic sign recognition? Oh, I guess I accidentally wrapped that transponder in aluminum foil, and there's some mud on that front facing camera, dang, I guess my limiter doesn't work!

@lpher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4
Country flag
I suspect defeating these will become fairly common though. The article says it relies on GPS and traffic sign recognition? Oh, I guess I accidentally wrapped that transponder in aluminum foil, and there's some mud on that front facing camera, dang, I guess my limiter doesn't work!
You better believe it... For sure various aftermarket manufacturers will be lining up to offer solutions to fix this :)

Also...on many cars using an aftermarket "Video In Motion" solution already does much of what is needed to defeat this type of thing...IF...it is based on GPS and/or the vehicles speedsignal.

OP
OP
Fish Fingers

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I had also read this previously.

Several other safety features are to be introduced under the EU's revised General Safety Regulation. Other mandatory systems include cameras or sensors for reversing, lane keeping assistance, warning systems for driver drowsiness or distraction and a 'black box' data recorder, which will be used by police and insurance companies for incident reporting and for understanding how and why collisions take place.
Source:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fish Fingers

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
And.......

.... It also got me wondering whether the GPS with the new system can then be used to tax cars by the mile?

There is currently no tax on EVs (UK) and as everyone switches from ICE they are going to have to come up with some way of taxing vehicles.
And this looks like the perfect opportunity.
All cars fitted with GPS tracking.

Just thinking out loud.

Last edited:

BeTay22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 BMW X5 while waiting for more high-power chargers
Country flag
Several other safety features are to be introduced under the EU's revised General Safety Regulation. Other mandatory systems include cameras or sensors for reversing, lane keeping assistance, warning systems for driver drowsiness or distraction and a 'black box' data recorder, which will be used by police and insurance companies for incident reporting and for understanding how and why collisions take place.
That explains why these features have been standard in the Taycan all along, while other basic safety functions are for cost options. You can “rest assured” that all current cars have all the necessary hardware and software on board and all that’s needed is flip an OTA switch.

batavia

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar F Pace, Smart
Country flag
And.......

.... It also got me wondering whether the GPS with the new system can then be used to tax cars by the mile?

There is urrently no tax on EVs (UK) and as everyone switches from ICE they are going to have to come up with some way of taxing vehicles.

Just thinking out loud.
GNSS (Global Satellite Navigation Systems)-based electronic tolling solutions are used to charge trucks above 3.5 tons for road usage on the entire national road network in European countries such as Germany, Slovakia, Hungary, Belgium, Russia, the Czech Republic, and in Bulgaria. So in answer to your first statement the answer is 'yes'

perski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche C2S, CT4
Country flag
And.......

There is urrently no tax on EVs (UK) and as everyone switches from ICE they are going to have to come up with some way of taxing vehicles.

Just thinking out loud.
Given the prevalence of camera based road toll schemes I’m not sure switching to gps is that much worse from a privacy standpoint. There are however numerous opportunities to integrate this with insurance rates and automatic speed ticketing.

OP
OP
Fish Fingers

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
You better believe it... For sure various aftermarket manufacturers will be lining up to offer solutions to fix this :)

Also...on many cars using an aftermarket "Video In Motion" solution already does much of what is needed to defeat this type of thing...IF...it is based on GPS and/or the vehicles speedsignal.
I would guess it will be mandatory to have them in use while driving.
In a sililar manner to tachographs on an HGV.

No evidence on this. I just cant see them spending an the effort to introduce it and then just have everyone disable it.

Anyway, in the vid above it says it's still not all agreed yet (imagine Covid and Brexit became a priority).
And also that it's for new models from July 2022 and existing models from July 2024.

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
I would guess it will be mandatory to have them in use while driving.
In a sililar manner to tachographs on an HGV.

No evidence on this. I just cant see them spending an the effort to introduce it and then just have everyone disable it.

Anyway, in the vid above it says it's still not all agreed yet (imagine Covid and Brexit became a priority).
And also that it's for new models from July 2022 and existing models from July 2024.
The last point is very useful thanks! phew!
Sponsored