New Owner (To be) Questions

Gordy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi,

Locked in my spec for a Taycan 4S, build date confirmed end of October for hopefully an end of November delivery to Porsche Glasgow.

Working my way reading through most of the post’s in the Forum so apologies if these have been covered elsewhere but would be interested in discussions on the below.

1. Am I correct that with the LTE Integrated SIM, all the “Internet/Data required” features are all covered and included, i.e. no extra data SIM required. i.e. ALL the online traffic, Google Earth, Google Search etc features? Coming from a 2017 Cayenne S the PCM online features required you to either have a data SIM in the PCM or connect via your phone. I’m assuming this is all included now so if you want Google Earth on all the time in the Taycan no data cap or limits will be imposed as an example?
  2. What sort of customisation and views are folk using for the home screen? I’ve watched Paul Steinbruner excellent description of them for a 992 I assume this can also be used in the Taycan? If so what have people found best to display between Large and Small Tiles?
  3. Energy Recovery (Recuperation) - Are most in the UK keeping that setting as Off (and coasting) or is the Auto Setting working out ok? I’ve never had an EV before so this is all new to me, I’d expect Off would be more like my ICE experience but does that mean I won’t be converting energy back into the batteries as efficiently?
  4. I’ve got my OLEV Grant (Pod Point Install) and Energy Trust Scotland grant application in the works along with requesting a ChargePlace Scotland card and have installed Zap Map on my phone. Is there anything else I should be doing in preparation for getting the car from an EV logistics perspective?(got a 10m Type2 cable already). I’ve not received any of the VIN or other details from the dealer yet to register in MyPorsche or the Porsche charging Cards. I plan to look into changing Electricity suppliers was I get the car and work out my charging/costs on current supplier.
  5. LIFT feature, the car is very low, in practice how often are people using LIFT on UK roads, car-parks day to day, have you found it annoying or is it 2nd nature now? I’ll definitely need to use it to get into my drive and when reversing out even with it on highest setting may scratch the Plastic guard at the front of the spoiler.
  6. What other ChargeNetworks do others recommend signing up too in the UK, with ChargePlaceScotland having good coverage, IONITY when I get the Porsche card, the others seem to be ok with just using your Credit/Debit card for payment. Any others that people recommend to sign-up too?

Thanks for any feedback/help.
Sponsored

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Hi, and welcome

chargeplace Scotland works well up and is pretty much all you need..

the inbuilt sim is fine and covers use of all apps, google maps and Apple Music

i most leave regen button off. You still harvest the same amount of energy when you slow down with the brake pedal

i find normal height fine for most things, the low setting ( in range and sport plus) is pretty low and will ground out on speed bumps etc

enjoy, when you get your car...

OP
OP

Gordy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks - Any other Feedback/Comments to share from other owners?

SteveMc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
LIFT feature, the car is very low, in practice how often are people using LIFT on UK roads, car-parks day to day, have you found it annoying or is it 2nd nature now? I’ll definitely need to use it to get into my drive and when reversing out even with it on highest setting may scratch the Plastic guard at the front of the spoiler.
I have set the Individual drive mode to have the highest suspension setting, so when leaving my drive or approaching speed bumps I turn the dial on the steering wheel (have you specced sport chrono?) and I find it the quickest / easiest way to do this.

What other ChargeNetworks do others recommend signing up too in the UK, with ChargePlaceScotland having good coverage, IONITY when I get the Porsche card, the others seem to be ok with just using your Credit/Debit card for payment. Any others that people recommend to sign-up too?
Depends where you will driving? Have a look at ZapMap and see who owns the chargers near your routes and take it from there.

Polar have the largest UK network and require membership with a monthly fee, but not worth paying if they have no points near you? Pod Point have a lot of supermarket points, but they are free to sign up for.

OP
OP

Gordy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Nope - didn't spec Sport Chrono.
Does it give you the capability to raise higher than the pre-defined LIFT button on the cluster?

Day to day driving will be home charger and ChargePlaceScotland at work so I'm ok for 99% of travel.

It will just be the 3 or 4 longer journeys a year - North of Scotland - past Inverness and/or any journeys down south - England that I'd potentially require another card if I can't just pay by Card there and then - not enough to warrant a monthly fee.

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Long Range, 2019 Porsche 911 4S, 2018 Tesla Model X Performance
Country flag
Hi,

Locked in my spec for a Taycan 4S, build date confirmed end of October for hopefully an end of November delivery to Porsche Glasgow.

Working my way reading through most of the post’s in the Forum so apologies if these have been covered elsewhere but would be interested in discussions on the below.

1. Am I correct that with the LTE Integrated SIM, all the “Internet/Data required” features are all covered and included, i.e. no extra data SIM required. i.e. ALL the online traffic, Google Earth, Google Search etc features? Coming from a 2017 Cayenne S the PCM online features required you to either have a data SIM in the PCM or connect via your phone. I’m assuming this is all included now so if you want Google Earth on all the time in the Taycan no data cap or limits will be imposed as an example?
  2. What sort of customisation and views are folk using for the home screen? I’ve watched Paul Steinbruner excellent description of them for a 992 I assume this can also be used in the Taycan? If so what have people found best to display between Large and Small Tiles?
  3. Energy Recovery (Recuperation) - Are most in the UK keeping that setting as Off (and coasting) or is the Auto Setting working out ok? I’ve never had an EV before so this is all new to me, I’d expect Off would be more like my ICE experience but does that mean I won’t be converting energy back into the batteries as efficiently?
  4. I’ve got my OLEV Grant (Pod Point Install) and Energy Trust Scotland grant application in the works along with requesting a ChargePlace Scotland card and have installed Zap Map on my phone. Is there anything else I should be doing in preparation for getting the car from an EV logistics perspective?(got a 10m Type2 cable already). I’ve not received any of the VIN or other details from the dealer yet to register in MyPorsche or the Porsche charging Cards. I plan to look into changing Electricity suppliers was I get the car and work out my charging/costs on current supplier.
  5. LIFT feature, the car is very low, in practice how often are people using LIFT on UK roads, car-parks day to day, have you found it annoying or is it 2nd nature now? I’ll definitely need to use it to get into my drive and when reversing out even with it on highest setting may scratch the Plastic guard at the front of the spoiler.
  6. What other ChargeNetworks do others recommend signing up too in the UK, with ChargePlaceScotland having good coverage, IONITY when I get the Porsche card, the others seem to be ok with just using your Credit/Debit card for payment. Any others that people recommend to sign-up too?

Thanks for any feedback/help.
Well for starters, congrats on the Taycan! I personally don't know about using Scotlands infrastructure so I cant help you there, I've only driven Petrol cars and Teslas in Europe. But I can say that yes lift os awesome and on American City Streets I use in constantly. I was between the Taycan and the McLaren GT for a while and other then thet standard "Porsche is incredible and also the Taycan is electric" on very serious consideration I jad was that the GT doesn't have air suspension. I use lift whenever I need to without a hitch, and I'm used to it from my Model X. The suspension button is right on the dash so you'll be able to switch as much as you need to regularly.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have set the Individual drive mode to have the highest suspension setting, so when leaving my drive or approaching speed bumps I turn the dial on the steering wheel (have you specced sport chrono?) and I find it the quickest / easiest way to do this.
Nice! But how do you do that? The highest lift option it gives me for the individual mode is “regular”.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Needs an "Off Road" button like my Macan has to get out of parking lots that meet crowned roads. I am way too used to not having to worry about that, but it'll be like being back in the R8 again, living in fear of scraping the front on everything. :p

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Needs an "Off Road" button like my Macan has to get out of parking lots that meet crowned roads. I am way too used to not having to worry about that, but it'll be like being back in the R8 again, living in fear of scraping the front on everything. :p
Porsche service told me it will learn where you raise it and remember the location to raise it automatically. So far, we just select Normal and press the level button. Have been surprised at some of the locations we clear with no issue. It may also use the cameras and parking sensors to avoid scraping.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Porsche service told me it will learn where you raise it and remember the location to raise it automatically. So far, we just select Normal and press the level button. Have been surprised at some of the locations we clear with no issue. It may also use the cameras and parking sensors to avoid scraping.
What's the "level button"?

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
Thanks - Any other Feedback/Comments to share from other owners?
I too am waiting but the only thing I am considering in addition is getting a 12v charger for the lithium battery. There have been issues with some owners and I still don't know if these issues have been resolved through s/w updates as yet. If they haven't then having a trickle charger might be a worthwhile investment - anyone else care to comment on that?