Mr Hockey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Apparently, Porsche just unveiled a new charging station capable of delivering over 19kwh at up to 80A, I believe and can charge from 0 - 100% in around 5 hrs. Of course, I just took delivery of a Clipper Creek HCS 80 unit which delivers up to 64A. The question here is that we knew the Clipper Creek unit seemed to be overkill and the Taycan could not accept more than around 10-11kwh (48A) from any type of home charger.

Curious what the Taycan can really accept from a home charger.
Sponsored

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Apparently, Porsche just unveiled a new charging station capable of delivering over 19kwh at up to 80A, I believe and can charge from 0 - 100% in around 5 hrs. Of course, I just took delivery of a Clipper Creek HCS 80 unit which delivers up to 64A. The question here is that we knew the Clipper Creek unit seemed to be overkill and the Taycan could not accept more than around 10-11kwh (48A) from any type of home charger.

Curious what the Taycan can really accept from a home charger.
By default the Taycan can accept up to 11kW. There's an optional upgrade for MY21 and MY22 Taycans to spec 19.2kW charging.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mr Hockey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
By default the Taycan can accept up to 11kW. There's an optional upgrade for MY21 and MY22 Taycan's to spec 19.2kW charging.
thanks - when looking at my sticker, how would I know if I have that option ? Would that option be agnostic of whose charging station is supplying the power (assuming it can output at that level) ?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
thanks - when looking at my sticker, how would I know if I have that option ? Would that option be agnostic of whose charging station is supplying the power (assuming it can output at that level) ?
KB4 - 19.2 kW AC on-board charger.

If you spec’ed your car, you would know if you spec’ed it.

If it’s a dealer car, I doubt any dealer would have spec’ed it.

It works with any J1772 EVSE.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Nice, PWCC price seems cheaper than the PMCC, $1586 standalone price (which is only $6 more than an upgrade from PMC to PMCC with Charging Dock with the car). Link to the Porsche US page for the charger:
https://shop.porsche.com/us/en/porsche-wall-charger-connect/p/$B-HCHH0LAA/

Not in configurator yet, I wonder if it will be cheaper as an upgrade/swap to PMC with new cars.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Nice, PWCC price seems cheaper than the PMCC, $1586 standalone price (which is only $6 more than an upgrade from PMC to PMCC with Charging Dock with the car). Link to the Porsche US page for the charger:

Not in configurator yet, I wonder if it will be cheaper as an upgrade/swap to PMC with new cars.
I know there has been some chat prev. on this in other threads, but does anyone know for certain if it is possible to retrofit the 19.2kW charger to the Taycan if for example you later upgraded your home line to 100A panel /80A delivery? Guessing it would cost an arm and a leg to do so but curious nonetheless.

This thread discusses this in part (a possibility in 'some' markets for 2020 cars) but nothing truly definitive re retrofit options from Porsche:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...plug-charge-capability.4181/page-6#post-60474

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

if it does not overheat then this is price competitive with other 64/80 AMP North American EVSE’s… (80/100 amp break) - installatiion manually shows this charger to be a fixed wall mount charger with adjustable settings from 20-100 amp breaker sizes…

I will be very interested to see people install this - set it match breaker size of 60/80/100 - and then plug a “stock” Taycan into it and have it charge at 11 kW - and yet Porsche’s spec for NA Taycan says 9.6 kW which we all know is false.

we can “add” the Porsche charger to the list of 100 amp chargers as it does not appear grossly over priced and looks to be a decent choice in the $1500 range of EVSE’s (similar to ClipperCreek 80/100 amp chargers for example).

TheDarKnight

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne, 2019 Dodge Ram, 2011 Toyota Prius
Country flag
Yeah, I was researching wall chargers this morning. I am building a house and want to rough-in the 220-V line and box from the electrical panel to the garage wall ahead of time. I like the Porsche Wall charging system but I did not spec' out the KB4 options. I am still 40-days out from my Freeze date, however. Given what I discovered today, it will cost me $3,400, before labor, to realize the benefit of the 19.2kW charging system vs. the standard 11kW. It likely will cut charging time down to half, which may be worth it...

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
here is the install manual for the 19.2 kW Porsche charger

only sadness IMHO is the 14.8 ft charging cable vs. industry standard 25 ft - for a $1600 charger I’d expect a 25 ft charging cable

5 hour charging times are nice but only required when car is nearly empty - daily usage will be much much less…

there is a table of settings for charging rates from 10 amps to 80 amps - so this is a good flexible charger and can be installed with virtually any breaker size

also has dip switchs for 120V/240V/208V power sources…

this is a competitive 100 amp EVSE inline with other offerings of similar quality and feature set.

the only thing it’s “missing” is any apparently ability to share load with other EVSE like ChargePoint, ClipperCreek, Tesla Gen2/Gen3 Wall chargers - allowing one to install multiple EVSE’s that share a single breaker and split the load while charging multiple vehicles…

however I believe that functionality is supported by the Porsche Home Energy Manager product which is not yet a thing in North America - so Porsche has this functionality but it’s not yet available in North America - time will tell…

based on the specs and price I see _NO_ major reason not to consider the Porsche Charger if you’re starting from scratch with an EVSE install - a minor reason would be to consider EVSE’s with split load functionality for your eventual multi-EV household - but I’ll spot Porsche the difference here and assume once/if the Home Energy Manager becomes an offering for North America that it would support that…

otherwise in this category of EVSE I’d consider something like the ClipperCreek 80/100 amp chargers with share2 functionalty so that you can charge 2 EV’s off of one single breaker.

but kudo’s to Porsche for this well priced and competitive offering - it’s a great choice for most Porsche Customers.

Attachments

Last edited:

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
FWIW, in almost 9 years of EV ownership, I have never needed more than 9.6 kW charging at home. In fact I dial it back to 30A. Just my datapoint.
Just wondering why you dial it back. I’m a total newbie at this but aren’t you still delivering the same amount of electricity to the car, just at a slower rate and with extended charge time by dialing it back? Is it because there is less wear on the battery with a slower rate?

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
FWIW, in almost 9 years of EV ownership, I have never needed more than 9.6 kW charging at home. In fact I dial it back to 30A. Just my datapoint.
I didn't even bother to install the PMCC on the wall, and I'm still using the ChargePoint I already had, which is a 40A (32A continuous) charger. You have to have some pretty special use cases to actually need a 100A charger... especially when the 150kW EA charger down the street is free.. :p

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just wondering why you dial it back. I’m a total newbie at this but aren’t you still delivering the same amount of electricity to the car, just at a slower rate and with extended charge time by dialing it back? Is it because there is less wear on the battery with a slower rate?
Less chance of anything (cables, charger, the NEMA socket) to overheat. Especially if you have one of the cheap $10 NEMA outlets, lowering the amps below 30A can help prevent its meltdown.

Other reasons might have to do with the overall electrical load of your house (dryers, ovens, etc) in case you want the total load to be under certain limit (i.e. <80% of a subpanel's or main's max capacity).

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
most people charge their cars overnight, so the increased speeds really aren't necessary. to me it doesn't matter if the car charges in 5 hours or 10 hours.
others might want the higher speed because they need to turn the car around faster
Sponsored