Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
Thanks to an earlier post I checked with my dealer and they ordered the Dashcam for me and will install it. I did a lot of research re a dashcam for the Taycan. The biggest issue is you don't want to connect anything that could drain the 12 v battery. Although the Taycan has 2 aux ports one in the center console and the other in the trunk which power only when the car is on; Both locations make installing a battery supported dashcam problematic.( Blackvue DR900). It is not worth the risk to wire to fuse box. I figure the time I am done with purchase and installation I will spend over $1200. $500 for the Dashcam and installation $700 by Porsche.

UPDATE: I asked my dealer if installing an after market Dashcam could void my Taycan warranty.
I was told per Porsche to only use approved Porsche accessories. If an after market Dashcam is wired to a fuse in the Taycan Porsche could use that as a reason to void the warranty if I have an electrical problem that damages the car. Bottom line it is risky to install an after market Dashcam in the Taycan that is wired to a fuse.

Porsche Taycan New Porsche Dashcam Available 2BAA1D0C-8DBD-4852-A236-FF08D0D26D0F_1_105_c
Sponsored

Last edited:

taycantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model X, 2020 Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Blackvue does have a module, the Power Magic Pro, that will provide a timer and 12V cutoff if the 12V battery goes below a certain threshold, to prevent from draining it. I have this in my Blackvue install. You can also supplement it with a battery pack to lengthen the uptime during parking (I don't have this).

OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
Blackvue does have a module, the Power Magic Pro, that will provide a timer and 12V cutoff if the 12V battery goes below a certain threshold, to prevent from draining it. I have this in my Blackvue install. You can also supplement it with a battery pack to lengthen the uptime during parking (I don't have this).
I understand about the battery and it goes under the seat but where did they connect it in the Taycan? aux port or fuse box? Thanks

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Thanks to an earlier post I checked with my dealer and they ordered the Dashcam for me and will install it. I did a lot of research re a dashcam for the Taycan. The biggest issue is you don't want to connect anything that could drain the 12 v battery. Although the Taycan has 2 aux ports one in the center console and the other in the trunk which power only when the car is on; Both locations make installing a battery supported dashcam problematic.( Blackvue DR900). It is not worth the risk to wire to fuse box. I figure the time I am done with purchase and installation I will spend over $1200. $500 for the Dashcam and installation $700 by Porsche.

is this available now via the dealership?
I agree with you about the electrical issues. If you go with the porsche product, porsche install then any problems down the road cannot be refuted by porsche.

OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
From my dealer today ="Good morning. I have ordered the part. It is coming from Germany. I will let you know when it arrives. Thanks,

is this available now via the dealership?
I agree with you about the electrical issues. If you go with the porsche product, porsche install then any problems down the road cannot be refuted by porsche.
[/QUOTE]

taycantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model X, 2020 Taycan 4S+
Country flag
I understand about the battery and it goes under the seat but where did they connect it in the Taycan? aux port or fuse box? Thanks
It goes to the fuse panel.

OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
Are there specs for the unit? Particularly the quality of the video? Or some video samples? Thanks
I could not find any spec’s. I learned about here in the forum and then emailed my dealer. Since it is Porsche there will not be any warranty issues. Others have installed the Blackvue, which is a good dashcam. However since it is not oem and per above post wired to fuse I would be concerned in the unlikely event of an electrical issue in the car porsche would deny warranty claim. Also anything that could drain the 12 volt must be avoided.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I could not find any spec’s. I learned about here in the forum and then emailed my dealer. Since it is Porsche there will not be any warranty issues. Others have installed the Blackvue, which is a good dashcam. However since it is not oem and per above post wired to fuse I would be concerned in the unlikely event of an electrical issue in the car porsche would deny warranty claim. Also anything that could drain the 12 volt must be avoided.
I agree with all that, but I was more interested in the Porsche just because I don't trust myself or others to deal with installation and hiding of the wires ;)

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
2BAA1D0C-8DBD-4852-A236-FF08D0D26D0F_1_105_c.jpeg
Does this package include front and a rear dashcam? It says front so I assume not?

OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
Does this package include front and a rear dashcam? It says front so I assume not?
Only front, you really do not need rear, any time you are hit from rear the other party is at fault.re parking, and if bumped from rear, the activation would drain the 12 v in the taycan since this camera does not have a separate battery as far as i know. I will let everyone know once installed how porsche tech’s wire it

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
Only front, you really do not need rear, any time you are hit from rear the other party is at fault.re parking, and if bumped from rear, the activation would drain the 12 v in the taycan since this camera does not have a separate battery as far as i know. I will let everyone know once installed how porsche tech’s wire it
I guess but I don't see why they could not just activate the front and rear cameras already on the car as part of a dashcam offering and keep this as an optional module for those without the front facing camera...That should be something that is possible I would have thought with files stored on a USB pen drive a la some others.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I guess but I don't see why they could not just activate the front and rear cameras already on the car as part of a dashcam offering and keep this as an optional module for those without the front facing camera...That should be something that is possible I would have thought with files stored on a USB pen drive a la some others.
this is how the cams on the tesla model 3 work. they use the forward and two side cameras and storage is on a USB disk. I do miss my cameras. I had a black vue on my model S as well.
I wonder if porsche could utilize the parking cams for this.

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
I think the angel would be suboptimal…
Sponsored