Zetta

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo
Country flag
They're already testing a 'hybrid' version and was spotted at the Nürburgring testing recently.

We'd need solid state batteries before that day would come I think if it ever happens!
Its a concept ;)
Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
So interestingly enough, a Porsche survey centered around “sustainability” came today, with this little blurb:

Porsche Taycan New Porsche EV concept to debut at IAA C9FE34DE-6166-42F6-8A24-4248FAC719AC

OP
OP
Mr.Smith

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
My bet is an electric hypercar.
But I wasn't allowed to write this on any social media.
So sorry. ??‍♂
Why not in a more world renowned show like Geneva?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
My bet is an electric hypercar.
But I wasn't allowed to write this on any social media.
So sorry. ??‍♂
Not shocking since the social companies love to block speech.

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My local dealer said to expect an all electric Macan coming soon.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
My local dealer said to expect an all electric Macan coming soon.
Uh yea..... 2023. I'm sure that's been worldwide news for some time.

Erez123

First Name
Erez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Panamera GTS
Country flag
Maybe I am just missing the obvious, but is there anywhere on the announcement that implies this will be an EV?

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So interestingly enough, a Porsche survey centered around “sustainability” came today, with this little blurb:

C9FE34DE-6166-42F6-8A24-4248FAC719AC.png
the chemistry around this is pretty energy intensive, and it doesn't really seem likely to be cost effective for the typical consumer. I think it's an interesting direction for motor sports and air travel but skeptical anything will work economically for automobiles.

It's kinda like hydrogen. It's not nearly as carbon free as it sounds, it's much more expensive, and it lacks infrastructure. The time to do this was 20 years ago, but that would cut into big oil profits so nope.

I think the best case scenario is folks move to EVs and hybrids. As more and more people reduce their gas needs for personal transportation, gas station franchises go bankrupt. That just forces people out of hybrids into EVs. Some cities will completely ban any tail pipe emissions so the fake carbon neutral thing isn't even going to work. A few super car owners will get to buy e-fuels like getting race fuel for track days. Hopefully.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Plus, like have you seen the Plaid and Rimac ? What's the economic case for keeping ICE engines around for the typical consumer ? They'll very soon be worse in performance and more expensive to buy and maintain. So what's the economic case for fueling infrastructure for a dying market ?

I love me the sounds of a v12 as much as the next guy, but one more generation of battery improvements to get the overall weight down, and ICE's only value will be style & nostalgia.

OP
OP
Mr.Smith

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Plus, like have you seen the Plaid and Rimac ? What's the economic case for keeping ICE engines around for the typical consumer ? They'll very soon be worse in performance and more expensive to buy and maintain. So what's the economic case for fueling infrastructure for a dying market ?

I love me the sounds of a v12 as much as the next guy, but one more generation of battery improvements to get the overall weight down, and ICE's only value will be style & nostalgia.
I only have an interest in BEV, but it has its weaknesses and it's not for all transportation applications

For sports cars like the 911, V12s etc, it has more of a soul, cars speaks to the driver.
It's comparing a swiss timepiece to an Apple watch
EVs are superior in many ways, but it's missing a certain element on an ICE

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I only have an interest in BEV, but it has its weaknesses and it's not for all transportation applications

For sports cars like the 911, V12s etc, it has more of a soul, cars speaks to the driver.
It's comparing a swiss timepiece to an Apple watch
EVs are superior in many ways, but it's missing a certain element on an ICE
that’s not my point. My point is when the masses move away from ice and the customers for current oil infrastructure dries up, it will be a vicious cycle. The economics of a permanently declining customer base are truly awful.

who would invest in a Shell franchise to open or maintain a gas station in 2035 ? 2030 ? The market will be brutal. And when the money dries up, pretty much nobody will give a shit about “soul”. This is capitalism we’re talking about.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
that’s not my point. My point is when the masses move away from ice and the customers for current oil infrastructure dries up, it will be a vicious cycle. The economics of a permanently declining customer base are truly awful.

who would invest in a Shell franchise to open or maintain a gas station in 2035 ? 2030 ? The market will be brutal. And when the money dries up, pretty much nobody will give a shit about “soul”. This is capitalism we’re talking about.
Once a tipping point will be reached, it will go very very fast.
Sponsored