First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
ICE cars will always have "soul".
It's something we grew up with.
It's been like that for more than 120 years, we can't blame anyone, it's just in our system.

But....once you'll drive electric you begin to see why making little explosions to propel a car is just such an ancient technology.
I mean, c'mon, it's ridiculous why an engine should be running while the car isn't even moving!
A gearbox and clutch are just there to compensate the shortcomings of an ICE.
Why should an engine produce gases?
Half of the ICE technology is developed for this phenomenon... including the plumping...

Once you think of it it's just so logical to have electric cars.
Soul is something that defines an era and there's nothing wrong in thinking that cars have souls... (pssst, they don't ?).
Sponsored

Reactions: B61

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
It's been like that for more than 120 years, we can't blame anyone, it's just in our system.

But....once you'll drive electric you begin to see why making little explosions to propel a car is just such an ancient technology.
I mean, c'mon, it's ridiculous why an engine should be running while the car isn't even moving!
Half of the ICE technology is developed for this phenomenon... including the plumping...

Soul is something that defines an era and there's nothing wrong in thinking that cars have souls... (pssst, they don't ?).
Steam locomotives had lots of soul too…

OP
OP
Mr.Smith

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag

I have no desire to drive an ICE, there are very few ICE cars I would take over a Taycan based on an over all driving experience and these would be ultra rare exotic cars.
You're absolutely correct with all of the shortcomings of an ICE vehicle.

The soul or character of an ICE is an experience. When at idle, or shifting at high RPM or the vibration on of the engine at a certain speed, etc.. I don't mean everyday cars, but sports cars.
Electric propulsion has none of those characteristics.
Its all the same with an EV on the propulsion side.

You can look at a mechanical watch the same way. It's a stupid, inefficient way to tell time, the phase of the moon or what day it is.
An IPhone does a much better job, but some inadamant objects have a soul
Porsche Taycan New Porsche EV concept to debut at IAA Vacheron-Constantin-Reference-57260-8.jpe

Last edited:

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
I agree that changing a gear
And hearing the revint if an engine is very nice but also frustrating that it comes with so much lag…..

as with Formula-E cars our sportier electric car’s will have gearboxes down the line. To be able to be more precise at different speeds. Meaning the movement of the foot can be a little longer for the same speed-change as we get from barley moving the foot with the one gear systems of today.the single gear is not super usable on a track or a nice winding road……..

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I agree that changing a gear
And hearing the revint if an engine is very nice but also frustrating that it comes with so much lag…..

as with Formula-E cars our sportier electric car’s will have gearboxes down the line. To be able to be more precise at different speeds. Meaning the movement of the foot can be a little longer for the same speed-change as we get from barley moving the foot with the one gear systems of today.the single gear is not super usable on a track or a nice winding road……..
You're absolutely wrong in saying a single gear is not super usable on a track.
On the contrary, your torque control on an EV is much MORE precise due to excellent power control of an electric motor.
With an ICE you only have max torque at a certain rpm, with an EV you have max torque at any rpm (if you want), it's all in the skill to use your foot on the throttle at any speed.
With an ICE you only use about 10% of the throttle band cuz the character of an ICE is just like that, below a certain rpm nothing happens...and on max throttle power only slowly increases cuz the engine is climbing into it's torque curve.

And if throttle response would be a problem on an EV, there's always the throttle map which you can set at any setting you like (which could basically be the throttle response of an ICE if you want).
But seriously, do you have any problem to control your EV around corners?
Really?
In a Porsche?
I don't think so...

Last edited:

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hmm. I see that I expressed my self wrongly. :)
I have driven the first gen formula-e cars and find them super quick to slow and quick to accelerate with their “traditional” feel with a gear box. Have also driven the Audi étron GT and find the same quickness into the corner with their variable regen paddles. So I guess it’s really this side that I like with the supposed gearbox. I also now realise (researching the rebuttal to your post :)) that the formula e teams have all gone away from the initial multi geared setup to a single geared setup with variable regen via paddle and pedal setup. Similar to the Audi GT setup. This I find more precise coming into the corners than the Taycan setup where you are only relying on your foot work. Maybe just me and my style of driving. And apparently formula e is going to go even further where they will eleiminate rear disks for only regen and in the future probably the front disks as well with a regen converter (motor) in the front as well……… interesting.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche Taycan New Porsche EV concept to debut at IAA 1630931856994

It looks like and M on the bumper........ Wonder what it could be........ Does not look like a Macan so a new Porsche with a new name starting with the letter M............

Could be this..........

Porsche Taycan New Porsche EV concept to debut at IAA 1630932273293

wow what a concept!

Porsche Taycan New Porsche EV concept to debut at IAA image

Last edited: