Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
It is the feel of radiation I don’t like, even when it isn’t that hot.
Anyway I so much prefer the look of the ally roof - and I am tight fisted - so still happy I didn’t choose the glass roof option :)
How does the feel of radiation manifest itself, if not through heat?
Sponsored

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
But your skin gets hot?!
Not if it is cold.
I just don’t like the feel of it.
The idea of sun bathing is truly hateful to me since the feel of the radiation on my skin, whether the air is warm or not I find dreadful.
Sorry if you can’t get your head round it.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
Not if it is cold.
I just don’t like the feel of it.
The idea of sun bathing is truly hateful to me since the feel of the radiation on my skin, whether the air is warm or not I find dreadful.
Sorry if you can’t get your head round it.
“The sun sends energy to Earth in a few different ways: visible light that you can see, infrared radiation that you feel as heat, and rays of UV radiation that you can't see or feel. Fortunately, the Earth's atmosphere protects us from most UV radiation.”

Anyway, the good thing is that the glass Roof is optional!
👍🏻

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
“The sun sends energy to Earth in a few different ways: visible light that you can see, infrared radiation that you feel as heat, and rays of UV radiation that you can't see or feel. Fortunately, the Earth's atmosphere protects us from most UV radiation.”

Anyway, the good thing is that the glass Roof is optional!
👍🏻
The radiation your body is trying to protect itself from when it develops a tan is the remaining UV portion I suppose.
That is perhaps what I am sensitive to - and hate.
Luckily the glass roof is indeed avoidable on a Porsche, not so lucky on some other brands.
I have chosen not to bother with several other cars because of colour choices or “privacy” glass in back windows.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
How does the feel of radiation manifest itself, if not through heat?
I’m not an expert, but I imagine the sun’s rays heat the skin locally independent of ambient air temperature. So, the AC in the car can affect the air temperature, but do little prevent the feeling of heat from sun hitting you directly. The lower ambient temperature would help dissipate heat on your skin quicker, but it wouldn’t prevent it.

I’m the same way that I hate that feeling and also have a metal roof. I also keep the roof shade closed in my Macan all of the time.

Although…I do love a cab. Different experience though.

proficient_mathematician

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don't know how much of the UV, infrared and visible light the glass roof filters out, but I hate any kind of glare and prefer a dark space so black interior and metal roof it is for me.

NuJerzPorsche

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
What I want to know is what happened to the 360 view or how the more in-depth configurator looked?

FlyDriveBike

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo Cross Turismo, Panamera Turbo
Country flag
This might be a bug in this unreleased configurator – but its interesting the the dashcam pre-wiring is forcing the selection of the Panoramic Roof with Variable Light Control.

Also it feels like pre-wiring for front and rear dashcam is new.

I dislike any glass roof so its a nope from me!

Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 17.56.13.png
I would have preferred no Glass Roof, but that wasn’t an option when I ordered mine. And to add injury to insult, my Turbo Cross Turismo was delivered to my dealer with a cracked roof. So after 2 months waiting for allocation, 5 months waiting for build, a month build, a month shipping to port, 2 months in port waiting for an amplifier, and a month to get it to my dealer…I have to wait another month or two for Porsche to ship a new glass roof to my dealer, for them to install it, and then finally I should be able to get it.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I would have preferred no Glass Roof, but that wasn’t an option when I ordered mine. And to add injury to insult, my Turbo Cross Turismo was delivered to my dealer with a cracked roof. So after 2 months waiting for allocation, 5 months waiting for build, a month build, a month shipping to port, 2 months in port waiting for an amplifier, and a month to get it to my dealer…I have to wait another month or two for Porsche to ship a new glass roof to my dealer, for them to install it, and then finally I should be able to get it.
It might make you feel better to know that at least you got one. I've been waiting over a year now for a Turbo CT allocation, multiple dealerships, no joy. I'm cheering myself up that at least I have a good chance to get working matrix headlights (now that they are legal in the US), though with the ever increasing delays, who knows, maybe by the time I get an allocation Taycans will be flying cars ;)

Teufel Hund

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan Turbo IGM
Country flag
Ouch! That hurts. Hope you get it soon!

FlyDriveBike

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo Cross Turismo, Panamera Turbo
Country flag
It might make you feel better to know that at least you got one. I've been waiting over a year now for a Turbo CT allocation, multiple dealerships, no joy. I'm cheering myself up that at least I have a good chance to get working matrix headlights (now that they are legal in the US), though with the ever increasing delays, who knows, maybe by the time I get an allocation Taycans will be flying cars ;)
Hold off on the “at least you got one”. I still don’t have it, but yeah, I did get to see it. Once. They think it should be less than another month. Waiting over a year for an ALLOCATION? That’s insane. If you’re ok doing the PEC (Porsche Experience Center) delivery in Atlanta or LA, call a huge Porsche dealer on one of the coasts and order with them (Porsche West Broward, near Ft Lauderdale, is a fantastic dealership and served me very well with my Panamera Turbo).

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Ducati, LR Defender, Audi S5, Taycan 4S
Country flag
UV. That's my topic. I'm Past President of the International UV Association (yes there is such a thing).

Some keys points (because I'm a nerd)
- UV is technically not light. It's not visible to the human eye. "UV photons" would be a more precise term
- UV is divided into different categories by wavelength (UV-A, -B, -C, -Far, -Vacuum)
- the peak DNA absorption of photons is in the UV-C band at 265nm
- The earths atmosphere filters all UV-C and lower
- Glass and plastic are great UV filters. Quartz is not. Sunglasses are really for blocking visible light that causes glare because even clear lens glasses would block all UV.
- The Taycan roof (and windows) does indeed filter all UV. I measured it on mine with a spectrometer.

I'm skeptical that you can feel radiant heating from the sun's UV emission on your skin when sat outside. Maybe you can feel the interaction of (UV-A) on your skin cells that cause some DNA chains to break and thus become inactive (i.e. sunburn). Happens to thinner cells first like eyes.

Ahhhh finally a topic I can speak with authority on :cool:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Hold off on the “at least you got one”. I still don’t have it, but yeah, I did get to see it. Once. They think it should be less than another month. Waiting over a year for an ALLOCATION? That’s insane. If you’re ok doing the PEC (Porsche Experience Center) delivery in Atlanta or LA, call a huge Porsche dealer on one of the coasts and order with them (Porsche West Broward, near Ft Lauderdale, is a fantastic dealership and served me very well with my Panamera Turbo).
Thanks. Tried that a year ago. Porsche is just making barely any Taycan Turbo CT for the USA. I’m not even sure they made more than 50 of them, ever.
Sponsored