New poster, new car spec configuration - advice please :)

NSgla21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Merc C63s
Country flag
Hi all,

I've been reading on this forum as a guest for a while.
Im looking to move away from my petrol loving days and am looking for a 4S

Have a meeting this week with a dealer to go over what im looking for
Having never had either an EV or a Porsche before, its all a bit confusing so far

Ive made up a trial config here: http://www.porsche-code.com/PMRE9IS4

Happy to take all advice/constructive criticism :)
Sponsored

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
Looks good.
I'd question the need for PTV Plus & PDCC Sport. Mine dosen't have these and it drives fantastic. But each to their own.
Electric charge cover causes wheel vents to be blocked which defeats the object of them being there.
Good to not be tempted by 21" wheels as they reduce range.
Get Ambient Lighting.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just my two cents on running up the bill. These are useful options:

Sport chrono package. Is more of a Porsche thing. It might include some of the items below.

Rear axel steering. This is a relatively long car.

Panoramic glass roof. Will make the car brighter inside.

Maybe acoustically laminated glass if you go to sunny and hot places.

Lane change assist. Think this s a must. Visibility out the rear window is poor and the B pillar blocks the side rear of the car.

Homelink garage door opener if your garage door/gates are compatible.

Driver Memory Package if it already isn't included somewhere else.

Seat ventilation so you don't have to run the AC as much.

Steering wheel heating absolutely.

Probably an accent package to give a little flash to the interior.

I like the Passenger Display, keeps the wife busy.

Absolutely the 150 kw onboard charger. Speeds up charging on fast superchargers.

Charging dock makes the garage tidier. Also costs a whole lot more to buy separately.

Make sure the car can fitted with the roof transport system. Probably not needed but if ever needed it has to there.

OP
OP

NSgla21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Merc C63s
Country flag
Looks good.
I'd question the need for PTV Plus & PDCC Sport. Mine dosen't have these and it drives fantastic. But each to their own.
Electric charge cover causes wheel vents to be blocked which defeats the object of them being there.
Good to not be tempted by 21" wheels as they reduce range.
Get Ambient Lighting.
Thanks; i'll maybe delete PTV+ and PDCC and replace with Rear Axle Steering
I have ambient lighting in my c63 and cant honestly remember the last time i changed it!
I thought the charge cover was a good option to have but didnt know about the vent blocking

thanks

OP
OP

NSgla21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Merc C63s
Country flag
Just my two cents on running up the bill. These are useful options:

Sport chrono package. Is more of a Porsche thing. It might include some of the items below.

Rear axel steering. This is a relatively long car.

Panoramic glass roof. Will make the car brighter inside.

Maybe acoustically laminated glass if you go to sunny and hot places.

Lane change assist. Think this s a must. Visibility out the rear window is poor and the B pillar blocks the side rear of the car.

Homelink garage door opener if your garage door/gates are compatible.

Driver Memory Package if it already isn't included somewhere else.

Seat ventilation so you don't have to run the AC as much.

Steering wheel heating absolutely.

Probably an accent package to give a little flash to the interior.

I like the Passenger Display, keeps the wife busy.

Absolutely the 150 kw onboard charger. Speeds up charging on fast superchargers.

Charging dock makes the garage tidier. Also costs a whole lot more to buy separately.

Make sure the car can fitted with the roof transport system. Probably not needed but if ever needed it has to there.

Really useful thanks
The amount of electric charge options is really baffling ???
AC chargers
DC chargers
Different lead options
Mobile Charger Connect

Its a bit of a minefield for this petrol head..... :)

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I would question the need for:

1. PDCC - unless on a track I don’t think you’ll get the benefit
  2. PTV plus - as per above
  3. 3D 360 - expensive option given the dependencies - question how often you would use this and auto parking...it’s a Porsche and you ought to be able to park it ;) Surround view on its own as a minimum
  4. HUD - meh, you can configure the main binnacle To have speedo etc directly in sight ahead.but personal preference
Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC)has been selected but do you realise that you get the standard Porsche Mobile Charger (PMC) with the car? PMCC is a better unit but thought I’d mention it? It was free last quarter due to supply issues but now chargeable unfortunately.

Not a fan of the black window surrounds and on the cherry I think the chrome will look better - personal choice.

Also notice that Sports Chrono wasn’t selected given 1 & 2 above - they kinda all go together. If you want something of the 3 then Sports Chrono would be the one.

As you didn’t upgrade the brakes (and therefore the wheel size in some cases) options 1 & 2 above make even less sense. The car is already brilliant without these expensive nice to haves.

Better options:

1. Pano roof - can’t add transport pack / roof bars otherwise
  2. Colour coded door mirrors (same colour as car)
  3. Chalk seatbelts and not crayon - better to match seatbelt colour to main leather component
  4. Extended leather (too much plastic on display otherwise), better resale
  5. Rear axle steering
  6. 150kW DC onboard charger
  7. Porsche Wall Dock
  8. 20” Turbo wheels are the better choice (personal choice again but as all the choices are poor these are the best of a bad bunch)
  9. Heated steering wheel
  10. Black stainless steel door sills (silver / chrome looks odd)
  11. Power Steering Plus if rear axle steering not selected
  12. Power charge port - the vent block is not an issue in my view and the choice of wheels can be challenged too when considering this compared to original design brief of the car. Besides, they’re cool!

OP
OP

NSgla21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Merc C63s
Country flag
I would question the need for:

1. PDCC - unless on a track I don’t think you’ll get the benefit
  2. PTV plus - as per above
  3. 3D 360 - expensive option given the dependencies - question how often you would use this and auto parking...it’s a Porsche and you ought to be able to park it ;) Surround view on its own as a minimum
  4. HUD - meh, you can configure the main binnacle To have speedo etc directly in sight ahead.but personal preference
Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC)has been selected but do you realise that you get the standard Porsche Mobile Charger (PMC) with the car? PMCC is a better unit but thought I’d mention it? It was free last quarter due to supply issues but now chargeable unfortunately.

Not a fan of the black window surrounds and on the cherry I think the chrome will look better - personal choice.

Also notice that Sports Chrono wasn’t selected given 1 & 2 above - they kinda all go together. If you want something of the 3 then Sports Chrono would be the one.

As you didn’t upgrade the brakes (and therefore the wheel size in some cases) options 1 & 2 above make even less sense. The car is already brilliant without these expensive nice to haves.

Better options:

1. Pano roof - can’t add transport pack / roof bars otherwise
  2. Colour coded door mirrors (same colour as car)
  3. Chalk seatbelts and not crayon - better to match seatbelt colour to main leather component
  4. Extended leather (too much plastic on display otherwise), better resale
  5. Rear axle steering
  6. 150kW DC onboard charger
  7. Porsche Wall Dock
  8. 20” Turbo wheels are the better choice (personal choice again but as all the choices are poor these are the best of a bad bunch)
  9. Heated steering wheel
  10. Black stainless steel door sills (silver / chrome looks odd)
  11. Power Steering Plus if rear axle steering not selected
  12. Power charge port - the vent block is not an issue in my view and the choice of wheels can be challenged too when considering this compared to original design brief of the car. Besides, they’re cool!

This is great - i had already revisited my first draft and have removed PDCC and PTV, replacing them with rear axle steering and sports chrono
Agree the chrome surround looks better

The charging options are a minefield to me - i need to read up more....
Off to look at other option now - thanks

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
This is great - i had already revisited my first draft and have removed PDCC and PTV, replacing them with rear axle steering and sports chrono
Agree the chrome surround looks better

The charging options are a minefield to me - i need to read up more....
Off to look at other option now - thanks
No problem.

150kW DC is a no brainer as without it you won't be able to charge at 150kW chargers which run 400V. Taycan is 800V std hence the ability to use 350kW chargers for the fastest possible charge. 50kW charging is possible in all cases.

The 22kW AC option is pointless unless you have a 3 phase power supply at home to take advantage otherwise skip it.

PMC vs PMCC - both do the same thing for home (or belt and braces mobile charging). PMCC is preferred but a pain it costs more. Nice interface etc so could be justified. Note that you'll need a dedicated 32A supply for home installation to enable 7.4kW charging with either. The "mobile" part here refers to using a std 13A 3 pin plug as a last resort (glacial charging speeds measured in days) e.g. when on holiday with no chargers nearby

OP
OP

NSgla21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Merc C63s
Country flag
Although my local dealer have now told me about a cancelled order they have on the forecourt.....

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Looking good but I'd really question the choice of wheels (have you seen them in real life?) and suggest to revisit the Turbo ones. These are simple to clean (only four 'spokes' compared to 10).

The Sport Aero wheels look odd to my mind due to the inner solid circle which is flush and glossy black. They look okay'ish on the configurator but in real life they look less so. If you haven't seen them in the flesh then encourage you to do so.

Personal choice having said all of that!

Interior standard leather is maybe not all that - extended leather is a class above if budget permits.

PID & ACC - could potentially sacrifice this and spend on the interior. The car already has cruise control and an electronic speed limiter which dynamically adjusts / limits the car's speed to the local speed limit (camera reads the signs) but what you can't do is set the distance between the vehicle in front which is one of the features of ACC (how often would you do that?). PID - not sure you'll make much use of this and other posts on the forum have commented on the sudden change in speeds which can catch you unawares.

Do you need heated rear seats (front ones are heated as standard but this is not made clear enough in the configurator)?

Porsche Crest on headrests (most people tick this one)?

Get the longer cable connection - between PMC (or PMCC) and car - 7.5m and its free! This is useful if you keep you car in a garage and gives you more flexibility for charging reach. To this also consider the Charging Dock for wall mounting of your PMC or PMCC. Not essential as there are standard mounts supplied but it looks 1000 times better with the dock!

On the debate on whether to use standard PMC or pay more for the PMCC I would advise you to look at the PMCC option. If you untick the Public Charging Cable [Mode 3] at £210 and then select 'Substitution: Public charging cable instead of Mobile Charger Plus (PMC)' which is free (and provides you with a Mode 3 public cable) and then select Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC) the cost drops from £767 by £210 to £557. PMCC is more desirable than PMC due to the features it offers and remote management. Note: Ignore the reference to Home Energy Manager as you don't need this in addition.

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
PID & ACC - could potentially sacrifice this and spend on the interior. The car already has cruise control and an electronic speed limiter which dynamically adjusts / limits the car's speed to the local speed limit (camera reads the signs) but what you can't do is set the distance between the vehicle in front which is one of the features of ACC (how often would you do that?).
Just to comment here, the adaptive cruise is the part that adapts your cruise control speed to take into account vehicles in front of you. So when you're on the motorway cruising at 70 and someone cuts in front of you and then slows down again (grrrr), the adaptive cruise will slow you down to maintain a set distance from the vehicle in front without you having to switch it off and back on again. I know it sounds petty, but it's a big deal if you use cruise control a lot! If not, save your money.
PID can be bought as an over-the-air Add-On later if you're in two minds about it - there's even a 3 month free trial!
Does it really adapt the speed limit on the standard vehicle? I thought that was only InnoDrive that did that. Not that I've tried on my car (without PID but with ACC) so you may well be right.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Good advice above.

However, I disagree on PTV+. Spec it. Last I heard the Taycan 4S does *NOT* have a LSD or even a true eDiff unless you spec PTV+. You only get the PSM allowing braking to different wheels.

Will you notice this? Maybe not. Is it insane to buy a sporty car for $120k+ that doesn't have even a basically sporty differential? Absolutely. This is also the reason to never buy a 911 C2 and always upgrade to a C2S/C4 or CT (w/ PTV+).

Make sure you've seen the Sport Aero wheels in person. The Turbo Aero wheels are a safer choice.

IMHO if you want the true Porsche experience the basic must haves are;
-PTV+ (personal pet peeve with the differential, though)
-Rear wheel steering
-Sports Chrono (DO NOT BUY A PORSHCE WITHOUT THIS)
-Lane Change Assist
-Comfort access
-Bose
-On board DC-150 charger

You will regret not speccing all of those.

Things you have specc'd that are kind of meh;
-Parkassist w/ surround view (it really, really sucks on the Taycan.. just be prepared)
-Innodrive (there are issues with it, I'd just get the ACC if you want it)
-Electric charging port (your build is missing basic must have options, I'd scrap this to spend the money elsewhere)

Please get Sports Chrono. Porsches shouldn't be born into this world without it.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Just to comment here, the adaptive cruise is the part that adapts your cruise control speed to take into account vehicles in front of you. So when you're on the motorway cruising at 70 and someone cuts in front of you and then slows down again (grrrr), the adaptive cruise will slow you down to maintain a set distance from the vehicle in front without you having to switch it off and back on again. I know it sounds petty, but it's a big deal if you use cruise control a lot! If not, save your money.
PID can be bought as an over-the-air Add-On later if you're in two minds about it - there's even a 3 month free trial!
Does it really adapt the speed limit on the standard vehicle? I thought that was only InnoDrive that did that. Not that I've tried on my car (without PID but with ACC) so you may well be right.
Yep, the adaptive speed limiter works based on the marked speed per road. I don't have ACC but have used on other Porsches and know how it works. Not worth the cost in my view given the standard 2.
Sponsored