New Taycan details from Stefan Weckbach (Porsche's head of EV)

MarcG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P85D
Country flag
Stefan Weckback, head of Porsche's electric vehicle program, shared some more details on the Taycan while answering questions by reservation holders in Norway.

In the interview, Weckbach was asked about the difference between the Mission E concept and the production version of the Taycan.

He said that it will be similar, but they have made aerodynamic changes and they changed some other features. He confirmed that the suicide doors didn’t make the cut for the production version:

“It will be very similar, only more suited to practical use, and we had to optimize the aerodynamics. The car will, for example, have conventional doors instead of hinged doors for safety reasons, and to get the lowest weight and ease of use.”

“[Winter package] will have heating seats in both front and rear seats, heating steering wheel and a heat pump will be available as an option.”

The executive also confirmed another few details about the production version: it will have a ~90 kWh battery pack and a 22 kW onboard charger.

He couldn’t confirm the price of the vehicle, but he said it will be priced between the Cayenne and Panamera.

Previous reports stated that Porsche is aiming to have a starting price of around $85,000, but they will offer several different versions of the vehicle.

Weckbach confirmed that only the higher priced versions will be available first.

Original article:
https://electrek.co/2019/01/24/porsche-all-electric-taycan-production-version-details/
Sponsored

Raek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, E92 M3, Wrangler TJ
Country flag
What does he mean by heat pump???

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
Well.....he shares nothing that's not already been shared long ago.......except mentioning a 'heat pump'.
I'm sure everyone had been waiting to hear if the rear seats would be heated, so he wanted to get that out there.

A good question that could have been posed, that he would have found difficult to answer would have been.......Stefan, can you tel us specifically, how the Taycan body will differ from the test mule body.....and I am referring to the actual 'body' and not the taped on camo.

JayGT4

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT4 / Taycan Turbo
Country flag
A good question that could have been posed, that he would have found difficult to answer would have been.......Stefan, can you tel us specifically, how the Taycan body will differ from the test mule body.....and I am referring to the actual 'body' and not the taped on camo.
+1 but I doubt he'd answer that with any specificity. We'd get a generic answer, which is what he gave already. Not surprised though, they still want to preserve the hype for the actual reveal/debut.

PAG_J1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No information
Country flag
I want to say a few words about the all time asked question: how the production model look compared to the concept model (Mission E)?

So first, it is true what Porsche is saying to the press. They Taycan looks very similiar to the Mission E.
In the end there will be just minor changes. For example different rear lights/ different rear diffusor...
There also won't be the cameras instead of the normal side mirrors. But the Mission E Concept wheel will be available as an option for the car ;)

Best regards

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
I was really hoping that it would be more concept and less Panamera but..... electric Panamera it is becoming........ so I am seriously considering withdrawing my deposit........... :-(

Raek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, E92 M3, Wrangler TJ
Country flag
It's crazy how people are so quick to consider withdrawing their deposits over something they haven't seen yet. It's very melodramatic.

Series7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 BMW M550i
Country flag
Ye of little faith...

This is why concepts are always a double edged sword. You want to excite buyers and build hype but you risk not meeting your own artificially created expectations when you can't deliver a finished product that can keep the extreme styling aspects while complying with safety standards and other practical considerations.

But I agree a lot of the reactions are overblown. And I don't think they release a concept like that and then decide F it just build essentially an electric Panamera. I expect to be pleasantly surprised.

Porsche Taycan New Taycan details from Stefan Weckbach (Porsche's head of EV) porsche taycan turbo cross country roadtrip journal

GratedWasabi

Banned
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan Turbo
Country flag
I strongly agree. I really think Porsche is checking out forums like these and getting a kick out of the overreaction to mule cars wearing actual Panamera parts.

Will it be the Mission E concept? No, but with car regulations it never could have been.

Will it be a gorgeous, amazing car? All signs point to yes.

Also, am I the only one that thinks a smaller Panamera with an amazing center of gravity and distribution of mass that's fully electric sounds pretty damn good?

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
You are probably not the only one considering the New Panamera is selling like hot cakes...... however, I was not a fan of the original one nor of the new Panamera...... So it would be a major disappointment. Also if you look at the Porsche Carrera GT or the 918 they are both concepts that were mulled over and stayed VERY close to the concept..... even during mule stage...... It’s tough to make real road testing for an upcoming model without also testing the body panels in the same conditions. So that the final product would diverge significantly from the mules his highly unlikely in my humble opinion.......

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
A heat pump can be thought of as an air conditioner working in reverse, taking heat from outside the vehicle and moving it inside the vehicle to warm the interior.
For a little more detail, a heat pump is 3-4x more efficient than an electric heater but quite a bit more expensive. It takes the uncompressed fluid in the condenser and compresses it, creating heat in the compressor that is then distributed throughout the car. AC works in the opposite direction, compressing the fluid with your a/c pump, and the expansion creates cooling that is circulated. I'll suspect they'll use a reversible heat pump for both ac and heating.

randkin

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
930 TC, 997.2 TTS, Panamera TTS, Cayenne GTS, Ferrari 612 OTO
Country flag
You are probably not the only one considering the New Panamera is selling like hot cakes...... however, I was not a fan of the original one nor of the new Panamera...... So it would be a major disappointment. Also if you look at the Porsche Carrera GT or the 918 they are both concepts that were mulled over and stayed VERY close to the concept..... even during mule stage...... It’s tough to make real road testing for an upcoming model without also testing the body panels in the same conditions. So that the final product would diverge significantly from the mules his highly unlikely in my humble opinion.......
I think it is a very different thing building a very limited production vs completely unlimited production model.Both the two models you mentioned were very limited and way different pricing. Those were both Super Exotic cars for their times. I am thinking Porsche wants to sell a ton of these Taycans and perhaps it is just not feasable to come close to the Mission E concept with large production numbers?
Sponsored