New Taycan Owner - charging frustration with mobile app!

OP
OP
MJH_102383

MJH_102383

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Taycan Turbo S; MY22 911 GT3; MY22 911 TS Cab
Country flag
Here's are two screenshots of the app. Just click on the "Climate" button anytime to randomly cool down or warm up the Taycan. After clicking on "Climate", you can click on "Edit" in to top right of the next page to configure the temp and zones you want to cool/heat.

1605542575242.png

1605542581889.png
Thank you!

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I didn’t even think of this but wow this does make sense in terms of charging a warm battery.
Logistically, its also a lot easier. Plug it in whenever it is parked (in the driveway/garage, etc). No matter how long its going to be parked. You park it - you plug it. Done.

In fact, Tesla formally recommends having the car plugged in whenever possible: "A plugged-in Tesla is a happy Tesla". I don't know why Porsche should be any different...

IMHO: Dump the app unless you really need it for some very specific reason.

AlexW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
IMHO: Dump the app unless you really need it for some very specific reason.
I'd like to take the suggestion before Porsche fine tune the app and resolve 12V issues completely.

However, just curious how I can pre-cool, or pre-heat my car before I get in it ? That's the only reason I can think about for now.

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Acura MDX, Mini Cooper
Country flag
I'd like to take the suggestion before Porsche fine tune the app and resolve 12V issues completely.

However, just curious how I can pre-cool, or pre-heat my car before I get in it ? That's the only reason I can think about for now.
I use it almost exclusively for the preheat function. But it stopped working for me about a month ago and still hasn’t been restored. :mad: Yes we can create timers and have those pre heat / cool the car, and that works fine when I have a regular schedule, and I can hit the pre heat/cool button when leaving the car when I know I’ll be back within an hour, but for anything not so planned I’d really like my app to function again! I’m still waiting for Porsche...

Las Vegas Taycan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I watched the Video and talked to the service department and I am totally confused.
I have no timers and only have the general profile active which is set to 85% charge.

So i plug it in at 8 PM and the car charge is over 85% and I think thats great that its not charging as per the profile. But then this morning is shows a charge of 99%.

The service department tells me that 100% means that its charged to 85% as per the profile. If this is true its crazy logic. And when I asked how do I know how much my battery has they gave me a strange answer because using their logic if i set the max charge to 25% it would show 100% but only really have a 25% charge.

What am I doing wrong or is what the service guy saying correct...I was expecting to get in the car in the morning with an 89% charge....Since it's over the maximum charge in my general profile of 85%....And direct charging was not active....

Porsche Taycan New Taycan Owner - charging frustration with mobile app! Charge1

Porsche Taycan New Taycan Owner - charging frustration with mobile app! charge 2

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I watched the Video and talked to the service department and I am totally confused.
I have no timers and only have the general profile active which is set to 85% charge.

So i plug it in at 8 PM and the car charge is over 85% and I think thats great that its not charging as per the profile. But then this morning is shows a charge of 99%.

The service department tells me that 100% means that its charged to 85% as per the profile. If this is true its crazy logic. And when I asked how do I know how much my battery has they gave me a strange answer because using their logic if i set the max charge to 25% it would show 100% but only really have a 25% charge.

What am I doing wrong or is what the service guy saying correct...I was expecting to get in the car in the morning with an 89% charge....Since it's over the maximum charge in my general profile of 85%....And direct charging was not active....
I think your service guy is wrong. All charging percentage values you see are the percentage of the battery YOU can charge. 100% for you might indeed mean 85% - 90% for the battery. 0% for you does seem to mean 0% for the battery. If you have direct charge turned on, that's a definite cause. Assuming that's not the case, the other cause is that you have preferred charging times set in the profile but no departure timer. If you want to use only the profile to set the charge target, you have to set the profile for optimized charging, not for preferred charging times. If you want to use preferred charging times, you have to also use a timer to set your target charge level and departure time.

Las Vegas Taycan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I think your service guy is wrong. All charging percentage values you see are the percentage of the battery YOU can charge. 100% for you might indeed mean 85% - 90% for the battery. 0% for you does seem to mean 0% for the battery. If you have direct charge turned on, that's a definite cause. Assuming that's not the case, the other cause is that you have preferred charging times set in the profile but no departure timer. If you want to use only the profile to set the charge target, you have to set the profile for optimized charging, not for preferred charging times. If you want to use preferred charging times, you have to also use a timer to set your target charge level and departure time.

Thanks. Will turn on "optimized charging" and sees if it stays at 85%

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
Question, are there any notifications pushed to your phone for starting and ending charging status?
I had This option with Tesla which was nice

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Question, are there any notifications pushed to your phone for starting and ending charging status?
I had This option with Tesla which was nice
Not that I have seen...

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I didn’t even think of this but wow this does make sense in terms of charging a warm battery.
At the slow AC charging rates (<11kW) the battery temperature has very little impact. I would argue it's better to reach full charge right before you leave the house. That way the battery has warmed from the charging and will use less energy while driving to warm the battery up.

For example if I leave my house with a cold battery (50-65F) the car will use a lot of energy over the first 30 minutes to try and heat the battery to 70-80F. Your range will suffer. Not a big deal for short trips but it could make a difference on a longer road trip.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
At the slow AC charging rates (<11kW) the battery temperature has very little impact. I would argue it's better to reach full charge right before you leave the house. That way the battery has warmed from the charging and will use less energy while driving to warm the battery up.

For example if I leave my house with a cold battery (50-65F) the car will use a lot of energy over the first 30 minutes to try and heat the battery to 70-80F. Your range will suffer. Not a big deal for short trips but it could make a difference on a longer road trip.
If you normally plug-in your car when you arrive home and recharge immediately, you can warm the battery and car later (e.g., next morning) using charger energy by using the Connect app to preheat the car an hour before you leave (no timers, just use the pre-heat / cool button’s one hour default). This raises the temperature of our entire two-car garage by two degrees F (have not recorded the battery temperature change yet).

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If you normally plug-in your car when you arrive home and recharge immediately, you can warm the battery and car later (e.g., next morning) using charger energy by using the Connect app to preheat the car an hour before you leave (no timers, just use the pre-heat / cool button’s one hour default). This raises the temperature of our entire two-car garage by two degrees F (have not recorded the battery temperature change yet).
That doesn't work for me - an hour's pre-heating doesn't change the battery temperature at all. It may be that the ambient temperature isn't low enough over here to trigger the warming the of the battery. What kind of ambient temperature did you have before pre-heating the car?

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
That doesn't work for me - an hour's pre-heating doesn't change the battery temperature at all. It may be that the ambient temperature isn't low enough over here to trigger the warming the of the battery. What kind of ambient temperature did you have before pre-heating the car?
55F. Will check the battery temperature before and after next time. I also selected seat heating for all four seats (do not know the level used by the Connect app).

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
55F. Will check the battery temperature before and after next time. I also selected seat heating for all four seats (do not know the level used by the Connect app).
Thanks. Actually 55F is about the same for me. Sorry, really rookie question, but how did you set the seat heating from the connect app. For the life of me, I can't work-out how to do that. I seem to just be able to press preheat or precool which just switches on the vents.
Sponsored