New Taycan Owner - charging frustration with mobile app!

MJH_102383

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Taycan Turbo S; MY22 911 GT3; MY22 911 TS Cab
Country flag
I have searched this topic a few different forums on this topic and quite frankly I am trying to avoid some sort of workaround or over-engineering to do something that seems quite simple.

My goal is to get home... plug in the Porsche mobile charger which my electrician upgraded to 240V or whatever a few weeks ago... and just have the car charge to 85%! I find myself standing at the mobile thing for a few minutes when I get home to put in my 4-digit PIN which seems crazy to have to do this every time in my own house?

Currently my Porsche Mobile app is set to the follow:

-Departure timer = blank
-Profiles = General charging is unchecked; Home is checked and "Home" profile is set to my home address, Minimum charge of 85%, Preferred charge times which I have set to midnight until 11:45pm so basically 24/7

Thank you!!
Sponsored

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
You can turn the PIN off. I think it is called "Device Protection" in the menu. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll post a picture of where it is in the menu - I kind of remember it being hard to find.

OP
OP
MJH_102383

MJH_102383

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks guys, I am going to try and mess with the charging device to turn off the PIN. Anyone know how to make sure it only charges to 85%?

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks guys, I am going to try and mess with the charging device to turn off the PIN. Anyone know how to make sure it only charges to 85%?
I'm not 100% certain, but setting preferred charging times without a timer will confuse it. If you are using only a profile, set it for optimized charging and make sure direct charging in the car is turned off.

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
Here's my setup. I have a profile set to charge to 75% whenever I plug the car in and I have a timer that charges to 85% for 8am on Saturday and Sunday. I don't really drive much during the week so I keep the charge level a little low to be nice to the battery and then on the weekends I have the timer bring it to the normal 85% when I'm driving more.

If all you want is to plug into the car and get to 85%, just set your profile to a "Minimum Charge" of 85% and disable the Timers. I just left the default "optimized charging" button selected - I don't think it does anything in my case because I only have normal residential service. I've also used the same profile but with preferred charge times and it also worked fine. My electric rate is always the same so I decided I just want to be able to plug the car in and have it charge to the "Minimum Charge" without worrying about when it would charge so that's why I chose not to use a "Preferred Charge Time"- and the only way to do that is to choose "Optimized Charging"...

Porsche Taycan New Taycan Owner - charging frustration with mobile app! 1605480084506

Porsche Taycan New Taycan Owner - charging frustration with mobile app! 1605480096738

Porsche Taycan New Taycan Owner - charging frustration with mobile app! 1605480860043

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
And as NC_Taycan said, be sure your "Direct Charging" is off.
Porsche Taycan New Taycan Owner - charging frustration with mobile app! 1605481082193

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
You can turn off the PIN in the settings on the Mobile charger. Don‘t use the “preferred times” feature - I think it has bugs. Turn it off. With the 85% profile selected in the car or on the app, just plug the car in and it will start charging. On a 240v 50amp circuit it should charge at 8-9 Kw/hr. So approximately 7 hrs to charge from 10% to 85%.

As an alternative to the above, Timers work well to ensure you charge to 85% by a certain time. You can heat/cool the interior at the same time.

Good luck!

OP
OP
MJH_102383

MJH_102383

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I now have the Profile set to charge to 75% and have Optimized Charging = yes. I also have a Timer set for every day at 8am to 85% so hopefully this way every time I randomly connect the charger it charges to 75%.... but then overnight it charges to 85%.

Hope this works!

Last question: if I randomly want to cool down or warm up the Taycan when it’s on or off the charger what’s the simplest way to do that? I.E. I am leaving in 15mins is there a button I can press or something to do this?

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Last question: if I randomly want to cool down or warm up the Taycan when it’s on or off the charger what’s the simplest way to do that? I.E. I am leaving in 15mins is there a button I can press or something to do this?
Set the precondition timer to 15 minutes and enable precondition with remote unlock. Then unlock the car 15 minutes (or less) before you want to depart.

You can turn off the PIN in the settings on the Mobile charger. Don‘t use the “preferred times” feature - I think it has bugs. Turn it off. With the 85% profile selected in the car or on the app, just plug the car in and it will start charging. On a 240v 50amp circuit it should charge at 8-9 Kw/hr. So approximately 7 hrs to charge from 10% to 85%.

As an alternative to the above, Timers work well to ensure you charge to 85% by a certain time. You can heat/cool the interior at the same time.

Good luck!
Preferred times works (I have a time of use rate plan) but I think it only works in conjunction with a timer. What I think is happening, based on interpreting others posts - not based on any testing I've done - is that if you set preferred times but do not have a timer, it will charge to the minimum level immediately then charge to 100% during the preferred time window.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I have searched this topic a few different forums on this topic and quite frankly I am trying to avoid some sort of workaround or over-engineering to do something that seems quite simple.

My goal is to get home... plug in the Porsche mobile charger which my electrician upgraded to 240V or whatever a few weeks ago... and just have the car charge to 85%! I find myself standing at the mobile thing for a few minutes when I get home to put in my 4-digit PIN which seems crazy to have to do this every time in my own house?

Currently my Porsche Mobile app is set to the follow:

-Departure timer = blank
-Profiles = General charging is unchecked; Home is checked and "Home" profile is set to my home address, Minimum charge of 85%, Preferred charge times which I have set to midnight until 11:45pm so basically 24/7

Thank you!!
Why do you need the Mobile App at all? I'm not using the PMCC, but your charge level can be set from inside the car. No app required... Is this some sort of requirement to use the PMCC? If not, just ignore the app. You don't need it, and given all the software problems with Taycan Software (inc a 12V battery problem likely related to software), you are best just to avoid all the magic if you don't need it!

Just set the general/default charging profile in your car to 85%. Done!

You don't need to create any additional profiles, define any timers, or use any apps if all you want is for the car to do is charge to 85% every/any time you plug it in. Then, if you do need a full charge (for a long day ahead) just click the "direct charging" option (again from inside the car) and you will get 100%.

I've been doing this since August and the car is always waiting for me at 85%. No added profiles, no timers, no apps...

OP
OP
MJH_102383

MJH_102383

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Set the precondition timer to 15 minutes and enable precondition with remote unlock. Then unlock the car 15 minutes (or less) before you want to depart.

Where do you set this to 15 minutes? Is there no way to precondition with the car locked? In the event I am in a store or something and don’t want the car unlocked.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Why do you need the Mobile App at all? I'm not using the PMCC, but your charge level can be set from inside the car. No app required... Is this some sort of requirement to use the PMCC? If not, just ignore the app. You don't need it, and given all the software problems with Taycan Software (inc a 12V battery problem likely related to software), you are best just to avoid all the magic if you don't need it!

Just set the general/default charging profile in your car to 85%. Done!

You don't need to create any additional profiles, define any timers, or use any apps if all you want is for the car to do is charge to 85% every/any time you plug it in. Then, if you do need a full charge (for a long day ahead) just click the "direct charging" option (again from inside the car) and you will get 100%.

I've been doing this since August and the car is always waiting for me at 85%. No added profiles, no timers, no apps...
One side benefit of simply plugging in the charger when you arrive (home, work, etc.) is you are charging a warm battery - especially better in the winter.

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
I now have the Profile set to charge to 75% and have Optimized Charging = yes. I also have a Timer set for every day at 8am to 85% so hopefully this way every time I randomly connect the charger it charges to 75%.... but then overnight it charges to 85%.

Hope this works!

Here's are two screenshots of the app. Just click on the "Climate" button anytime to randomly cool down or warm up the Taycan. After clicking on "Climate", you can click on "Edit" in to top right of the next page to configure the temp and zones you want to cool/heat.

Porsche Taycan New Taycan Owner - charging frustration with mobile app! 1605542575242

Porsche Taycan New Taycan Owner - charging frustration with mobile app! 1605542581889

OP
OP
MJH_102383

MJH_102383

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One side benefit of simply plugging in the charger when you arrive (home, work, etc.) is you are charging a warm battery - especially better in the winter.
I didn’t even think of this but wow this does make sense in terms of charging a warm battery.
Sponsored