New Taycan won’t charge

RidewithEMC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 911 Turbo; 2018 Audi Q7; 2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Our new 4S won’t charge from our newly installed home charger. It’s a charge point that is lit up green when the plug is connected to the charger, and blue when we connect to the left charging station. But the car won’t charge. It says “Initializing” on the my Porsche app and On the touch screen it shows the circle spinning like it’s thinking. Then it shows a charging error. On the dash screen it shows a red plug.

Any ideas what it could be?
Sponsored

OP
OP
RidewithEMC

RidewithEMC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Looks like it’s an issue with the charge point charger itself or the wiring that the electrician did.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
Try the bundled charger?

OP
OP
RidewithEMC

RidewithEMC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Try the bundled charger?
what does that mean? The charger that came with the car? We haven’t even opened that up yet. Does it plug into a regular garage plug? (I’m sorry if these are dumb questions - this is our first EV.)

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
As stated above, try the Porsche charger just to set if it works.
If it does, it's more likely your home EVSE that's the issue.

I had the same issue when my car was new - and still do occasionally now (my home EVSE sounds similar to yours).

If I get the problem, I find rebooting the charger often works. Or power it off and then on again.

I also have the issue a lot more on one port (ac/dc) than on the other side (ac only).

OP
OP
RidewithEMC

RidewithEMC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks so much for the tip, the bundled charger did work! It’s slow as hell, and has only charged up 3% in 6 hours, but at least we know the car is working properly! Hopefully it’s an easy fix with the charge point equipment.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks so much for the tip, the bundled charger did work! It’s slow as hell, and has only charged up 3% in 6 hours, but at least we know the car is working properly! Hopefully it’s an easy fix with the charge point equipment.
You can get more out of the Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (bundled charger) as long as you get it properly installed. It will provide up to 9.6kW (more than enough for home charging) and should have been supplied with 2 supply cables - a regular plug (the one you used and will be really slow) and another for an industrial type connector (this is the one you should use).

The red charging icon in the car is always red when connected to an EVSE (your "charger") so don't expect that to go green, blue or white - it's all good.

You do not need another EVSE as the one you got bundled is more than up to the task in hand.

OP
OP
RidewithEMC

RidewithEMC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I already have a charge point charger installed at my house and $3k of electrical work to upgrade our panel! It just isn’t working properly.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I already have a charge point charger installed at my house and $3k of electrical work to upgrade our panel! It just isn’t working properly.
Could be something simple like earthing. Get your Sparky back to troubleshoot given the investment you've made!

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Is the charge point hard wired to your electrical panel or is it plugged in to a 50A NEMA socket? Because if it’s plugged in, you can connect your Porsche mobile charger into the NEMA & get faster speeds, like 25-30miles per hour.

OP
OP
RidewithEMC

RidewithEMC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It’s hard wired into the new electrical panel we had installed at the same time.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
It’s hard wired into the new electrical panel we had installed at the same time.
My ChargePoint is also hardwired and on a 60A breaker - I'm getting over 10 kW to the car. Very straightforward install as you know. Mine has worked like a champ from day one and fully linked to my home WiFi.

Have to ask, but I assume you went through the required EVSE setup once you had the ChargePoint installed (on their app), correct (If you unit was green then obviously it would seem that you did)? Especially the section in the ChargePoint app setup procedure that asks re choosing whether your install was hard wired or plugged and if 50A or 60A etc?

Another possibility is if your electrician did not perhaps ground the EVSE correctly and the car is not happy with it - grabbing at straws a bit but perhaps share exactly what was done for your install?

pshrosbree

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Cross Turismo 4 (Y1BBD1)
Country flag
You could ask your electrician to run a NEMA 14-50 outlet from your new panel, and plug your Porsche charger into it with its NEMA 14-50 plug. That should be pretty cheap to add, and allows a fallback if your EVSE ever fails. The NEMA 14-50 spec looks like this:

Porsche Taycan New Taycan won’t charge 1642447981293

Warning: Depending on the size of your circuit you should probably avoid running your current EVSE and the Porsche charger at the same time. You breaker will protect you from overload, but you should be aware of this limitation.

I have a similar panel arrangement, but it is on a 100A breaker, and I have a ClipperCreek HCS-80 Share2 connected to it so two cars can share the same circuit, and the EVSE manages load sharing. It has been incredibly reliable, and stable, but I have considered adding a NEMA 14-50 outlet as a fail safe.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I deliberately chose not to hard wire my home EVSE just in case it failed for some reason. If it plugged into the NEMA socket, you could simply swap out with another EVSE with the same plug. I may charge a little slower than the 60A hard wire install but having a back up is important as you have found out.
I have a Nema 14-50 plug receptacle to 50A breaker beside the wired 60A ChargePoint :) Agreed backups are good!
Sponsored