Jimmy3993

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo S
Country flag
Hey all. I’m in the process of buying a Turbo S. I’ve been interested I. The idea of EV for a while now but couldn’t get excited about Tesla’s interiors.
So when my local exotics dealer took in a beautiful turbo s w delivery miles, I had to come take a look.
I was and am blown away by the drive.
Sooooo
It’s in the garage right now but I am struggling to figure out how to charge it.
The car came with the Porsche Mobile Charger connect. I’ll have an electrician run the better line next week but for now I have the regular plug on the charger. After getting past the password and the WiFi setup, the software update and getting the charger to say it is charging and the green light flashing on the port, I left it to charge for about 6hrs. But the battery didn’t increase charge at all.
So I switched to the drivers side port and am letting it charge for a while.
I’ve tried to ready the instructions on the charger. I’ve looked at the owners manual. I’ve checked YouTube.
I can’t figure out this simple home charger. It’s embarrassing.
Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?
I’m kicking myself for not buyimg from the local Porsche dealer bc I bet they would have helped w the set up...
Thx in advance if anyone has any suggestions...
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jimmy3993

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo S
Country flag
Hey all. I’m in the process of buying a Turbo S. I’ve been interested I. The idea of EV for a while now but couldn’t get excited about Tesla’s interiors.
So when my local exotics dealer took in a beautiful turbo s w delivery miles, I had to come take a look.
I was and am blown away by the drive.
Sooooo
It’s in the garage right now but I am struggling to figure out how to charge it.
The car came with the Porsche Mobile Charger connect. I’ll have an electrician run the better line next week but for now I have the regular plug on the charger. After getting past the password and the WiFi setup, the software update and getting the charger to say it is charging and the green light flashing on the port, I left it to charge for about 6hrs. But the battery didn’t increase charge at all.
So I switched to the drivers side port and am letting it charge for a while.
I’ve tried to ready the instructions on the charger. I’ve looked at the owners manual. I’ve checked YouTube.
I can’t figure out this simple home charger. It’s embarrassing.
Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?
I’m kicking myself for not buyimg from the local Porsche dealer bc I bet they would have helped w the set up...
Thx in advance if anyone has any suggestions...
Ok it appears that I needed to be using the port on the driver‘s side.
I switched ports after noticing an icon on one of the touch screens in the car that was labeled “ac” on a port shaped icon on the drive side and “ac/dc” on passenger side.
Seems to be charging now.
First of many users errors for me I expect!

Dogs_Tess_Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (delivered 31/07/2020), 996 911 C4S, Mercedes_E320
Country flag
I switched ports after noticing an icon on one of the touch screens in the car that was labeled “ac” on a port shaped icon on the drive side and “ac/dc” on passenger side.
Great to read you got things sorted. Good info too

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Both sides work for AC charging. Charging from a normal circuit can be as little as 8A (if the charger has a safe-mode like some cars do to not cause fires with old wiring in a garage) , so less than 1 kW. Even at 12A, you're at not much more than 1kW.

There's a decent change that the amount of charging that happened wasn't noticeable. The charger and car should both list the charging rate if something is happening.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
You should be able to use either side for changing. It will be very slow using only a normal 3 prong 110v plug (only up to ~2-3 MPH). Still, you'll get the green circle and something should happen.

You can always visit your local Porsche dealer and pick their brains. I'm sure someone would be more than happy to answer any questions. Folks here are very good about it, too. ;)

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Yeah, when you plug in 110, you get about 20-30 miles for 24 hours, so slow, i ordered a plug to use my 220 dryer until the 220 plug is installed, seems to be about 8 hours or less on 220 charge and haven't done the 5-80 percent in 22 minutes, but I have gotten about half filled up in 15 minutes at a fast charger

OP
OP

Jimmy3993

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo S
Country flag
Thx all. I’d did pick up about 15% charge overnight from my standard wall outlet.
So at least I know it Is functional.
I wonder, could you charge through both ports at once?

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
No, you can only charge at one port. I understand the other port to lock when charging at the alternate.

OP
OP

Jimmy3993

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo S
Country flag
Ty all. I’m going to shift gears and ask my next nagging question.
Is there an app that will allow me to check on charging process from my iPhone? Seems like there could / should be as I had to connect the charger to WiFi.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Yes you can use the Porsche Connect app to see what the charging status of the car is. Along with door locks, setting departure timing, preconditioning, sending destinations to the car.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Ty I see it now. $40 a month?
I am not paying anything, I believe some part of the subscription is included in the car purchase?