jasont

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Got my MY20 in for an update and the dealership bricked the Central Computer. My service advisor at the dealership, who seems like a nice person, is completely incapable of giving me meaningful updates on the status of a replacement central computer. He states there is "no news from Germany" on it and there appears to be no stock. He suggested I call the Porsche 1800 number to see if they could help me. I couldn't believe he said that.

This is my first Porsche in a long time - any recommendations on how to actually get some resolution here? Or, more importantly, find out some meaningful information. The question really is - did the dealership do something to brick it or does it just "happen".

I appreciate it.
Sponsored

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Got my MY20 in for an update and the dealership bricked the Central Computer. My service advisor at the dealership, who seems like a nice person, is completely incapable of giving me meaningful updates on the status of a replacement central computer. He states there is "no news from Germany" on it and there appears to be no stock. He suggested I call the Porsche 1800 number to see if they could help me. I couldn't believe he said that.

This is my first Porsche in a long time - any recommendations on how to actually get some resolution here? Or, more importantly, find out some meaningful information. The question really is - did the dealership do something to brick it or does it just "happen".

I appreciate it.
See: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-problems-post-update.4459/page-11#post-62805

Dealers are struggling with this update and it is causing issues for some. Seems like the large majority of updates are without issues, but it appears that there are risks that new components will be required if the update does not complete smoothly. My dealer even said that there is the possibility that new components will be required from Germany.

OP
OP

jasont

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
See: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-problems-post-update.4459/page-11#post-62805

Dealers are struggling with this update and it is causing issues for some. Seems like the large majority of updates are without issues, but it appears that there are risks that new components will be required if the update does not complete smoothly. My dealer even said that there is the possibility that new components will be required from Germany.
I saw that thread (and even posted in it) but since I didn't get to the 'post update' part...

My dealer said that the new components have to come from Germany but has no insight into when and he said he was just waiting on them to 'show up'. That seems hard to believe with a company like Porsche that there is no better insight into inventory.

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
I saw that thread (and even posted in it) but since I didn't get to the 'post update' part...

My dealer said that the new components have to come from Germany but has no insight into when and he said he was just waiting on them to 'show up'. That seems hard to believe with a company like Porsche that there is no better insight into inventory.
There is a world wide shortage of chips- https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/22/porsche-ceo-warns-of-very-serious-global-chip-shortage.html ... If the PCM is affected by this chip shortage (and my guess it is).. Porsche is probably prioritizing production vs warranty replacement - again a guess on my part but revenue=stock price=CEO compensation. So Porsche does have great insight into their inventory but is juggling production vs warranty.. Ok this is all speculation on my part so take it with a grain of salt but it is a slightly more than educated guess as I have seen lead times on chips go from weeks to in some cases over a year.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag

I hear you. It would be better if they could just be upfront and say it will take x weeks, rather than "it'll come when it comes". If the 1-800 number could help you, surely the dealer can call that number themselves!

Minnesotan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo, 2022 Targa 4S, 2018 E300
Country flag
I just dropped my 2020 Turbo off this morning. My dealer said some updates going relatively smoothly, with a couple not. He said Porsche was paying for 4 hours of updating, which was unfair, as it took much longer.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I believe I read on this forum that the average service time for the update is 9 hours and the service center gets paid 1.5 hours. No wonder, they don't want to get involved.
Hence the problem with franchised dealers.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I hear you. It would be better if they could just be upfront and say it will take x weeks, rather than "it'll come when it comes". If the 1-800 number could help you, surely the dealer can call that number themselves!
You can lemon the car if not is not fixed in 30 days. You can get a 2022 instead or another brand.
Sponsored