Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2021/porsche-taycan-recall-investigation-stalling.shtml

PORSCHE TAYCAN RECALL CLOSES INVESTIGATION INTO STALLING

December 28, 2021 — The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has closed a Porsche Taycan investigation into stalling incidents in 2020-2021 electric cars.

More than 12,100 Porsche Taycans are involved in the investigation to determine why the cars lose motive power while driving.

The cars lose forward motion without warning as drivers see error messages indicating battery problems during or after the cars stalled.

A Porsche Taycan uses a a pulse-controlled inverter mounted on each of the two drive modules on the front and rear axles. According to Porsche, software continuously monitors end-to-end communication between the electronic control units (ECUs).

But in some instances the software can incorrectly detect a faulty communication, then an error memory entry is set and the powertrain shuts down. The Taycan will stall and the car will show a warning message that says, "Motor control error. Stop vehicle in a safe place."

Investigators found 88 complaints about stalled Porsche Taycans, but NHTSA says the automaker has now corrected the software errors and conducted a recall to repair the electric cars.

Safety regulators closed the Taycan investigation based on the Porsche recall.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Investigators found 88 complaints about stalled Porsche Taycans, but NHTSA says the automaker has now corrected the software errors and conducted a recall to repair the electric cars.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
Extremely poor design and execution of error handling on Porsches part. Broke the number one rule where the error message made the safety situation worse than it already was. Let alone it being a false error.

I rather like the car but I learned after Porsches handling of this situation, attempt to bury and gaslight victims that not only is their engineering substandard, but they are a scummy corp as well.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla twitter will say that .007% is reason to lick Elon's bag rather than buy any other EV.
thats 0.7% which is pretty shocking actually. You might need to learn some math before being snippy.

Given unreported events it’s probably closer to 1% which warranted more than a global recall.

Last edited:

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
thats 0.7% which is pretty shocking actually. You might need to learn some math before being snippy.

Guven unteported events it’s probably closer to 1% which warranted more than a global recall.
As an owner of two Teslas, both of which have their fair share of problems, no thanks. I'll be as snippy as I want, tough guy.

And isn't 88/12000 .07 percent? Math was never my strong suit, good thing I write policy instead.

Last edited:

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
But but but what about the great cover up, cars being abducted in the nights and replaced with other cars, exploding seats, massive conspiracy and 120% battery failure? My god! The NHTSA is in on it!

Sorry, I thought I was on a Tesla forum for a second there....

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As an owner of two Teslas, both of which have their fair share of problems, no thanks. I'll be as snippy as I want, tough guy.

And isn't 88/12000 .07 percent? Math was never my strong suit, good thing I write policy instead.

https://www.percentagecal.com/answer/90-is-what-percent-of-12000

Percent is hundredths of a whole. 1 is 100% 0.1 is 10% and 0.01 is 1% So that would be 0.0073 or 0.73%. A whole lot by factor.

I worry for policy now…

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
But but but what about the great cover up, cars being abducted in the nights and replaced with other cars, exploding seats, massive conspiracy and 120% battery failure? My god! The NHTSA is in on it!

Sorry, I thought I was on a Tesla forum for a second there....
I was confused as well. I mean the investigation was opened at the end of May, the recall was issued at the end of June/beginning of July. So I'm not sure where the gaslighting/hiding is in that, seems like a pretty quick response. Now the NHTSA didn't close the investigation until 28 December, but then they are always slow in closing investigations.

Prit

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, Aspiring GTS ST owner.
Country flag
Damn, that percentage debate escalated quickly lol.

Pro tip: Multiply by 100 (not 10) after doing (88/12000) and you will be golden...

1%+ is likely the real number, and it is pretty high... No Bueno.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was confused as well. I mean the investigation was opened at the end of May, the recall was issued at the end of June/beginning of July. So I'm not sure where the gaslighting/hiding is in that, seems like a pretty quick response. Now the NHTSA didn't close the investigation until 28 December, but then they are always slow in closing investigations.
the investigation didn’t start until after many drivers reported the issue to the NTHSA when Porsche told them “there is no issue, take your car back”. It was wildly dishonest to the point of playing with peoples lives. Then when the numbers started piling up they tried to do silent fixes without acknowledging the wider issue caused by their own update.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
the investigation didn’t start until after many drivers reported the issue to the NTHSA when Porsche told them “there is no issue, take your car back”. It was wildly dishonest to the point of playing with peoples lives. Then when the numbers started piling up they tried to do silent fixes without acknowledging the wider issue caused by their own update.
Source? I found no such accusations as to a coverup during my Google searches. But then I don't read Tesleraiti ;) I'm unaware of any manufacturer that hasn't had a recall(s) for possible safety reasons, especially for EVs. Porsche's response, once they confirmed the issue, seems pretty quick to me. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Source? I found no such accusations as to a coverup during my Google searches. But then I don't read Tesleraiti ;) I'm unaware of any manufacturer that hasn't had a recall(s) for possible safety reasons, especially for EVs. Porsche's response, once they confirmed the issue, seems pretty quick to me. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
The source is me. Look at my history. And my coworker who both experienced the issue. He was even offered a large sum of money to take a silent fix and not say anything or turn the car in as a lemon. I didn’t take it and wrote an NHTSA report.

I don’t know why people here are having bizarre Tesla fixation. What does this have to do with them.

Here’s the facts:

1. Porsche offered a WMA update which caused a major motor control issue.

2. first drivers to experience this were told there is no issue

3. later drivers were offered money in exchange for a silent fix.

4. So many drivers experienced it NHTSA reports started to pile up triggering an investigation

5. there was a recall and the issue was fixed.

6. now much later then issue is closed

this isn’t rocket science or a conspiracy. It’s just what happened.

Last edited:

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
The source is me. Look at my history. And my coworker who both experienced the issue. We were offered a large sum of money to take a silent fix and not say anything or turn the car in as a lemon. I didn’t take it and wrote an NHTSA report.

I don’t know why people here are having bizarre Tesla fantasies. What does this have to do with them.
No offense, but sorry, I don't believe you. If what you are saying is true I'm sure there would have been a newsworthy article somewhere that mentioned bribes from Porsche to prevent a safety issue being reported.
Sponsored