Mtljckt

Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s, X5, 540i
Country flag
... Porsche USA contacted me and did not want to buy the car back, instead they offered to cover 2 car payments if I agreed to allow them to wipe the record clean on my car, (meaning to erase the service records and act as if I never had this problem) I humbly declined as I will not let them off the hook for a safety issue as huge as this. ...
Wow, wow, I can't believe what I'm reading. Just having the ability to do that is simply mind blowing. I'm considering canceling my order.

Advertisement

Artman

First Name
Art
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan GTS | 4S Cross Turismo ordered
Country flag
I did submit a report after being advised by another forum member! Very happy I listened. The NHTSA actually contacted me to get more information which I was happy to provide. My car did it again and Porsche USA contacted me and did not want to buy the car back, instead they offered to cover 2 car payments if I agreed to allow them to wipe the record clean on my car, (meaning to erase the service records and act as if I never had this problem) I humbly declined as I will not let them off the hook for a safety issue as huge as this. They ultimately did a software update and things have been good thus far.
Bribery?!?! This in not good! I just put a deposit in for an allocation and am thinking twice.

ElectricSoul

Reaction score
Vehicles
Planning on ordering Cross Turismo
Country flag
My car did it again and Porsche USA contacted me and did not want to buy the car back, instead they offered to cover 2 car payments if I agreed to allow them to wipe the record clean on my car, (meaning to erase the service records and act as if I never had this problem) I humbly declined as I will not let them off the hook for a safety issue as huge as this.
This is likely a violation of Porsche Business Conduct guidelines. You should report it this through Porsche's Compliance program

Last edited:

sfgumshoe

First Name
EA
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Text below was sent to Porsche USA Customer Service email address:

The following report was submitted Wednesday 3/26/21 to the National Highway and Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), describing an incident that happened that day:

“As I was driving on the freeway at approximately 50 mph, the car lost power and would not accelerate. A warning appeared on the dashboard reading: “Engine control error — park vehicle in a safe place“.
There was no roadway shoulder, but fortunately I was coasting downhill and was able to exit the freeway onto an exit ramp, where I parked the car on the shoulder.
I called Porsche roadside assistance and waited over 45 minutes for a tow truck. It had still not arrived when I was able to restart the vehicle and resume driving.
I took it to the dealer* where I bought the car [Marin Porsche, in Mill Valley, CA], and they said they would check it out. They did not indicate that any other Taycans had been returned to them with this issue, although I have read numerous news accounts describing this problem in recent weeks.
Had this power failure occurred under different circumstances, I and other drivers would have been at risk of serious injury or death.”
We will need an ironclad assurance that this will never happen again, because it is so obviously dangerous both to us as drivers and occupants of the car, and to the other drivers on the road.

If we believe we cannot count on this never happening again, we will be forced to seek appropriate relief from Porsche, despite the fact that — other than this grave safety issue — we love the car and would like to keep it.

Regards,

[Owner name redacted]

* The dealer has provided a loaner car, however, they said I will have to return it after five days. The service advisor believes that any repair will take longer than this.

Photo below was taken at the time power was lost:
1622477482011.jpeg

VladimirS

First Name
Vladimir
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have such problem on my 4S! It's not funny at all!!! Just after start moving mark "Transmission failure. Park vehicle safely". I was just in the middle of traffic. Happened 2 times. Dealer still can't fix. After 10 days of waiting got exchange car. If it will continue going to return the car or sue Porsche. Imaging my family will be inside? It's really disaster

sfgumshoe

First Name
EA
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Porsche told Roadshow in a statement, "Our first priority is the safety of anyone traveling in one of our cars. We are aware of nine customer complaints and have, as a result, received the NHTSA inquiry, which is a routine part of their oversight process. We are already underway in addressing this issue and look forward to answering the NHTSA's questions and quickly resolving the underlying issue, should one be confirmed." The spokesperson affirmed the brand had only delivered 6,552 units and added, "All Taycans remain safe to drive -- we are not aware of accidents reported in connection with this issue."

The boldface statement almost defies logic and certainly doesn't reflect what I'm sure are Porsche values. I don't think Porsche means to say that because they aren't aware of any accidents, the car is safe. This is probably the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard from Porsche. Come on guys - you have to do much better than this.

Imagine the following language in small print on your boarding pass: “The plane you are about to board has experienced occasional loss of power while in flight.

As with all new aircraft, there are inevitable bugs in the software. Savvy passengers understand this and will remain patient while the bugs are ironed out.

There is no need to be concerned, as the pilots have been able to avoid any fatalities by gliding the plane back to safety, accompanied by certain safety precautions such as runway foam.

Our engineers are working on this and there is no reason to be concerned about your safety.

Should you experience a loss of power while in flight, and survive the emergency landing, the airline will compensate you with free tickets for your next trip.

Enjoy your flight!”

Except that, in the case of the Taycans, there isn’t even a printed warning issued by the manufacturer. One must dig through obscure postings on forums such as this one to even learn that the problem exists.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
My car was worked on here in Switzerland and they have changed the control box for the transmission and the actual switching mechanism for the same. also measured and controlled the power loss in the cabling….. Got the car back this afternoon and will keep you posted if the problem reapers……. :cool: until then

As the car was in for the umpteenth time I also decided to order a new 2022 one, hoping it will be a little more reliable. 😂

Oink

Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4, Taycan 4S+
Country flag
My car was worked on here in Switzerland and they have changed the control box for the transmission and the actual switching mechanism for the same. also measured and controlled the power loss in the cabling….. Got the car back this afternoon and will keep you posted if the problem reapers……. :cool: until then

As the car was in for the umpteenth time I also decided to order a new 2022 one, hoping it will be a little more reliable. 😂
Mind fetching me a '22 as well? 4S or Turbo, whichever.

Steve

Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo, Cayenne, 911
Country flag
The media certainly have a wrong description talking about the 12v battery cutting off. Maybe they confuse the 12v brick issue with the power loss while driving. When the power loss while driving happens the 12v supply is fine, the screens are on but the car does not move. At least this is the case with the latest reports after the WMA5/6 update and the bug is attributed to DME software.

However, it is a good first step for a big agency to finally hold Porsche accountable for the issue. I hope the investigation makes Porsche stop releasing poorly-tested software updates and adhoc patches and they should take our safety more seriously.
I experienced the “electrical error” issue after the software update. The car was fine before. Thankfully my error only happened upon start up in my garage. After 15 mins the fault seemed to clear itself and I was able to start the car. Brought it to the dealer and they did the “DME software patch” that was supposed to fix the problem. Car was fine for about 2 weeks and then I experienced the same fault again. Luckily it reset itself and everything is back to normal again. I have another appointment at the dealer for next week. Very discouraging.

chrisk

Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I experienced the “electrical error” issue after the software update. The car was fine before. Thankfully my error only happened upon start up in my garage. After 15 mins the fault seemed to clear itself and I was able to start the car. Brought it to the dealer and they did the “DME software patch” that was supposed to fix the problem. Car was fine for about 2 weeks and then I experienced the same fault again. Luckily it reset itself and everything is back to normal again. I have another appointment at the dealer for next week. Very discouraging.
The DME patch is supposed to address the "Motor control error" and the "Engine Computer error" faults which are allegedly introduced by the WMA5/6 update.
The "Electrical Error" is probably something else, something that might require hardward to be replaced, like the big battery, converter or 12v battery. Have your dealer do a proper diagnosis and repair.

Lauryen828

First Name
Lauryen
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Such

Indeed! That is such a bad response, copied straight from VW PR department..
That is why when reporting to NHTSA it is important to describe not only the problem but also the dealer's response so the investigator has a better picture of reality.
Yes, you have to provide EVERY detail! I sent the NHTSA copies of my service records from Porsche as well as the email from Porsche USA offering to waive 2 of my payments. They said if I accepted the offer it would wipe the service record clean and If I had the same isuse essential it started over the 30 day time period for them to buy my car back! I was not interested! I just want them to own and fix these issues.

Mark

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The second time it happened was upon startup also ? If so, it might be a different issue. Not good obviously, but much better upon startup than while driving.

chrisk

Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My Taycan Turbo stopped working with no notice or warning. Almost was rear ended.
NHSTA has been contacted. Numerous issues with this Taycan Turbo that I have. I have all photos as well. Happy to post to help others.
What was the error message in your case when the car died?

HelfFL

Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My Taycan Turbo stopped working with no notice or warning. Almost was rear ended.
NHTSA has been contacted. Numerous issues with this Taycan Turbo that I have. I have all photos as well. Happy to post to help others.
Did you have the big software updates done before the loss of power issue?

kreshi

First Name
Kreshi
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag

May I ask at what center you got the repairs done? In case I have to do those too 😅

Advertisement

ZYRUS

Advertisement