MLD

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I did file a report with the NHTSA and I've gotten my car back. I don't know whether it's because 1) Porsche is monitoring some of this forum and they passed along the data to my dealership, or 2) somebody with more responsibility there saw what had occurred and intervened, or 3) they were just trying to lower expectations to be able to step over it, or 4) something else. In any event, they had my car scanned first thing Monday morning by the tech able to work on the EV. He found a reported fault and they did the software updates that were identified in this thread. They have confirmed I am entirely up to date with the software updates now.

They were ready with my car at 11:30 AM Monday so I got it back in 4 days instead of the 7 days first stated.

Something else I thought was interesting. The service manager told me that he does not expect it to occur again but, if it does, that I should turn off the car, exit, lock it and wait 45 seconds or so and then unlock and turn it back on. The problem will have to reset and it will be safe to drive.
Sponsored

Reactions: B61
OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I did file a report with the NHTSA and I've gotten my car back. I don't know whether it's because 1) Porsche is monitoring some of this forum and they passed along the data to my dealership, or 2) somebody with more responsibility there saw what had occurred and intervened, or 3) they were just trying to lower expectations to be able to step over it, or 4) something else. In any event, they had my car scanned first thing Monday morning by the tech able to work on the EV. He found a reported fault and they did the software updates that were identified in this thread. They have confirmed I am entirely up to date with the software updates now.

They were ready with my car at 11:30 AM Monday so I got it back in 4 days instead of the 7 days first stated.

Something else I thought was interesting. The service manager told me that he does not expect it to occur again but, if it does, that I should turn off the car, exit, lock it and wait 45 seconds or so and then unlock and turn it back on. The problem will have to reset and it will be safe to drive.
Probably true, based on the reports of other forum members, no?

VladimirS

First Name
Vladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
No! I was done this several time, but Taycan awaked only after 20 minutes waiting on the middle of hard traffic in the city centre

cgfrndpor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E-Tron; 2021 4S; ex_BMW540
Country flag

By what definition is a car that stops in the middle of the highway safe to drive??

Reactions: B61

M&M

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Coming soon… Taycan RWD
Country flag
Hi - has anyone outside of the Americas seen similar (power loss) problem? I''m from Singapore, loved the Mission E and followed it all the way till now. So it's a real bummer if this issue is also seen in many/other parts of the world.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
You can add me with my 2021 Taycan Turbo to the list. I was driving on an Interstate highway and saw the "Engine Control Error" message and advised to find a place to park. The car began decelerating and would not respond to pressing the accelerator pedal. An exit was coming up so I managed to get onto that exit and roll through the stop sign at the bottom of the ramp so that I was half in and half off the shoulder. The car wouldn't move forward or do anything other than continue with the air conditioning (thankfully).

I contacted Porsche through the Breakdown call button on the PCM and they arranged for a towing service to come get the car and take me to the nearby dealership (20 minutes away). It took 3 hours for that to happen. I contacted the dealership in the meantime to see whether they could get me a loaner car or even a ride home. "No" on both.

After 90 minutes, the car turned itself off while we waited for that towing service and I turned it back on to be able to use the air conditioning. It came back on and the message cleared. I was tempted to try driving it to the dealership but I was in a relatively safe place and didn't know whether the car would become un-drivable again, this time perhaps with even a worse safety outcome.

One interesting outcome, though, was that I had the opportunity to test the Taycan battery drain if stopped but operating the air conditioning. Over a little more than 2 hours in the direct sunlight with the outside air temperature of 94-95 F and the "feels like" temperature of just over 100 F. I kept the air conditioning set to keep the car at 71 F. I operated the other controls (like radio and telephone) during that time. The battery charge level dropped a consistent 1% every 25 minutes. I think we can assume this is about the worst case normal situation. So, if you stopped when you were at, say, 70% battery charge, you could stay with everything operating for about 29 hours.

I'll also take a look at the NHTSA website to see about reporting a safety problem.

Besides being able to do nothing to help me in any way whatsoever, the Porsche dealership (Porsche of Hilton Head) says they can't even look at the car for a week so I am without a car with nobody caring in the least. The only worse customer service I've ever had with a car company Was with Tesla.
Agree with @kreshi. Absolutely pathetic customer service from way too many Porsche dealers.

Porsche NA should evaluate and critique the entire dealer network to ensure they meet or exceed a specific set of criteria to continue as Porsche dealers. If the dealer fails to uphold the standards that Porsche North America establishes in terms of how they represent the brand, their franchise should be pulled.

It's really as simple as that.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I thought it was a communication synchronization issue between the DME and the rear motor (DME is Digital Motor Electronics). One thread mentioned an error when communications between the two are out of sync, the DME gets an impossible axle position reading from the motor sensor. Point is, you may not be safe assuming an RWD Taycan is immune...
Yeah, I definitely am not assuming anything. Just trying to gather as much info as possible.

That being said, although obviously there aren't as many RWD's in the wild yet (and they are all 2021), I don't think we've seen any cases of this issue on the RWD thus far, for what it's worth...

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just fyi, the electric motor calibration seems to be a problem for a while.
This is a TSB from April 2020 about it. It seems that the calibration issue can affect one motor alone.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10174593-0001.pdf

Subject: High-voltage power electronics on front axle

Symptom:
The red warning message "Drive control fault - Park vehicle safely" lights up in the instrument cluster.The entry "P061B00 Internal torque interruption - malfunction (00AC80)" is stored in the fault memory ofthe control unit

Cause: Deviating values during torque monitoring.

Remediation: Calibrate electric motor.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
Had my first NTHSA interview today. I told them the story I've shared here on the failure and outlined that I had gone to the dealership and told them the car had issues and they told me to 'deal with it'

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Yeah, I definitely am not assuming anything. Just trying to gather as much info as possible.

That being said, although obviously there aren't as many RWD's in the wild yet (and they are all 2021), I don't think we've seen any cases of this issue on the RWD thus far, for what it's worth...
Sorry to tell you but my buddy here in Switzerland has a RWD and had the issue within the first days after pick up. No issues since then though. It’s been about two months now.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Sorry to tell you but my buddy here in Switzerland has a RWD and had the issue within the first days after pick up. No issues since then though. It’s been about two months now.
Don't be sorry, that's useful info. Thanks.

I assume he didn't get the patch applied to supposedly fix the issue?

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Don't be sorry, that's useful info. Thanks.

I assume he didn't get the patch applied to supposedly fix the issue?
No patch, no issues so far. I will ask him if he has an appointment at Porsche scheduled. I will update this thread when I know more.

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag

Taycan4Us

First Name
EA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I believe this is a significant regulatory development with serious implications, such as a recall of all Taycans. If Porsche cannot satisfy the NHTSA that they can fix this problem without any possibility of it occurring again, they all might be withdrawn from the road.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am not sure if it is related or a coincidence but no internal Porsche TSBs have been published to the NHTSA website for May. They used to publish their TSBs monthly at the end of the month but that did not happen for May.
Sponsored