evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I'm a fan of the thermal imaging used in the Night Vision Assist technology. I've had it in several of my BMW's and its always been very helpful when driving early in the morning in rural areas (Wisconsin, Upstate NY, Virginia). I've always enabled the Night Vision displayso I could watch for the heat signatures of animals (deer) on the side of the road in the wee hours of the morning...

I was driving into the office very early in the morning last week to pick something up before anyone arrived (I've been working from home since March). Anyway...

I did NOT have the Night Vision Display up and running in the center of the instrument cluster for such a short trip. The instant I thought I saw something way down the road (75 meters), the Night Vision Display POPPED UP, sounded an audible alert, and highlighted the outline of the deer in flashing Red as it ran across the road!

Very Nice! ...and it didn't even need to be manually enabled for display at the time! Looks like its always running/processing in the background.
Sponsored

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
I'm a fan of the thermal imaging used in the Night Vision Assist technology. I've had it in several of my BMW's and its always been very helpful when driving early in the morning in rural areas (Wisconsin, Upstate NY, Virginia). I've always enabled the Night Vision displayso I could watch for the heat signatures of animals (deer) on the side of the road in the wee hours of the morning...

I was driving into the office very early in the morning last week to pick something up before anyone arrived (I've been working from home since March). Anyway...

I did NOT have the Night Vision Display up and running in the center of the instrument cluster for such a short trip. The instant I thought I saw something way down the road (75 meters), the Night Vision Display POPPED UP, sounded an audible alert, and highlighted the outline of the deer in flashing Red as it ran across the road!

Very Nice! ...and it didn't even need to be manually enabled for display at the time! Looks like its always running/processing in the background.
Very nice feature. More reason I want it in my MY21 order

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag

Now I am jealous....

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

Thanks! That is cool. I thought I’d have to enable it each time which is something I would be likely to forget to do.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks! That is cool. I thought I’d have to enable it each time which is something I would be likely to forget to do.
Yeah, me too! Looks like it is always "watching"!

Sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
Very glad I ordered it. I’ve had quite a few deer incidents around my place... including one silly muntjac that ran into the side of my Golf R and got it’s neck twisted in the alloy - causing a load of wing and door damage and had to put it out of its misery

Need to stalk them more often!

drjhyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2020 4S, Cayenne 2020
Country flag
Good to hear, I always have it on, while in daylight it does not identify pedestrians or deer, it is good to know that it is running even if it is not visibly displayed.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I think I read somewhere that it's not active (but still watching) within city limits at daylight, just to prevent to act when a dog is walking on the sidewalks.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bear in mind that its not going to work as well during daylight as at night. True Thermal Imaging (which this is) uses heat (not visible light) to "paint the picture". When it is warmer (during the day) there is less variation in the temps so the image will not be as discernable to the software. Winter/Summer temps will have a similar relationship.

I have an ATN Binox 4T which my wife and I use to watch for coyote's in our back yard. The image is much better in the cold of Winter and/or at night. The difference in temp between the animals and their surroundings is what is important...

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Bear in mind that its not going to work as well during daylight as at night. True Thermal Imaging (which this is) uses heat (not visible light) to "paint the picture". When it is warmer (during the day) there is less variation in the temps so the image will not be as discernable to the software. Winter/Summer temps will have a similar relationship.

I have an ATN Binox 4T which my wife and I use to watch for coyote's in our back yard. The image is much better in the cold of Winter and/or at night. The difference in temp between the animals and their surroundings is what is important...
It's not active during daylight.
That's what I said.
Maybe that's why it's called "NIGHTVISION".......:clap:

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think I read somewhere that it's not active (but still watching) within city limits at daylight, just to prevent to act when a dog is walking on the sidewalks.
OK... I'll bite...

How can it be "not active" but "still watching" during daylight?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Good To Know app.
Porsche Taycan Night Vision Assist option SURPRISE! Screenshot_20201106-220521

It is WATCHING, as in ACTIVE, but it's not ACTING cuz it's outside the system's ENVELOPE while in DAYLIGHT.

I also found that other thing:
Porsche Taycan Night Vision Assist option SURPRISE! 2020-11-06_22.58.44

Well that's good to know, right?

Last edited:
OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They may call it "NIGHT VISION" but they also call my Taycan a "TURBO" S... (Nice "Ninja Editing" BTW...)

This isn't "Night Vision" as it is more commonly defined. This is true "Thermal Imaging". Night Vision (light amplification) is relatively cheap and relies on visible light. Thermal Imaging doesn't use visible light at all. For example: Night Vision (Light Amplification) will work fine through a glass window. Thermal imaging can't see anything through glass at all as it will only show you the surface temp of the glass. You might as well be looking at a plate of steel. Put a sheet of glass in front of your thermal camera on your car if you don't believe me...

You'll have to show me where in those quotes it says it say its function is any different during daylight than during night time... It never says its "outside the systems envelope" in any way. In fact, you would be hard pressed to even tell the difference between a thermal image taken at high noon and one taken at midnight other than accounting for differences in the ambient temperatures and solar heating. (For example, I can see heat being retained in concrete and rocks in my yard after the sun sets as the trees and grass cool more quickly.)

Those quotes only say exactly what I said in my prior post. ...that the system works by reading the difference in thermal energy (heat) in its surroundings. ...and that it will be LESS EFFECTIVE during daylight or Summer as the temp differences will decrease between elements in the surroundings.

True thermal imaging (like we have in our car) simply doesn't care about visible light. Unlike "Night Vision", night or day is pretty irrelevant to Thermal Imaging (other than the associated effects of higher ambient temps and solar heating). The car itself may certainly know, but again, the quotes you provided don't say the alert system behaves any differently at night than it does during the day.

Here is a link for the Thermal Binoculars we use to watch for Coyote's on our property. (It says "coming soon" but we've had ours for over a year now). There is good info here if you want to see the difference between Thermal Imaging and the light amplification technology more commonly known as "Night Vision"...

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Anyway... :giggle:
Porsche is calling it "NIGHT VIEW ASSIST".
There, that's it.
I used "night vision", that's incorrect so sorry for that.
Still, the system is part of the safety system and will act accordingly which is pretty cool imho. :cool:
It doesn't act in daylight but it still locks on to people and animals (outside urban areas).
I don't know why I'm repeating myself though. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Anyway... :giggle:
Porsche is calling it "NIGHT VIEW ASSIST".
There, that's it.
I used "night vision", that's incorrect so sorry for that.
Still, the system is part of the safety system and will act accordingly which is pretty cool imho. :cool:
It doesn't act in daylight but it still locks on to people and animals (outside urban areas).
I don't know why I'm repeating myself though. :)
What makes you think it "doesn't act in daylight"?

The imaging certainly works in daylight (It will display an image just fine during daylight). The thermal imaging doesn't care if its daylight or not as it doesn't use visible light in any case. In fact, it would actually display a better quality image (more thermal contrast) at high noon in the dead of Winter than it would at the dead of midnight in the middle of Summer.

So, what makes you think it "doesn't act in daylight" (the alert notifications turned off)? ...cause the imaging component certainly works fine. Its certainly possible that Porsche has turned this off but where are you getting that info?
Sponsored