No Displays - PCM, Passenger Screen and Center Console

Gordy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Had my MY21 4s about 10 months now -in that time no PCM or display issues, however in the last week twice I've had no display from the PCM, Passenger Display and Center Console Display. Car powers up - the Electronics are working i.e. the Radio plays, Beeps come from the Parking Sensors but nothing is displayed in all 3 displays PCM, Passenger Screen and Center Console.
Turning off car and on again didn't fix, locked car left for 45 mins again didn't fix.

I've managed to fix it both times by Rebooting the PCM with 2 finger method, it reboots into Engineering mode - then reboot back to normal mode and all displays come back.

So what changed in the last week? - I had the AMB5 recall, whilst in at OPC I tried to get the dealer to fix the dipped beam/Inverted lights issue (which they confirmed has no fix) - they said to attempt to fix they reprogrammed the PCM. What they actually mean by that I don't know other that I guess re-applying the latest firmware to the PCM.

Coincidence that I then start getting display issues after that - I think not!

Anyone else had the displays act like this and any ideas for a fix - Like I mentioned it's happened twice in a week now.
Sponsored

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Had my MY21 4s about 10 months now -in that time no PCM or display issues, however in the last week twice I've had no display from the PCM, Passenger Display and Center Console Display. Car powers up - the Electronics are working i.e. the Radio plays, Beeps come from the Parking Sensors but nothing is displayed in all 3 displays PCM, Passenger Screen and Center Console.
Turning off car and on again didn't fix, locked car left for 45 mins again didn't fix.

I've managed to fix it both times by Rebooting the PCM with 2 finger method, it reboots into Engineering mode - then reboot back to normal mode and all displays come back.

So what changed in the last week? - I had the AMB5 recall, whilst in at OPC I tried to get the dealer to fix the dipped beam/Inverted lights issue (which they confirmed has no fix) - they said to attempt to fix they reprogrammed the PCM. What they actually mean by that I don't know other that I guess re-applying the latest firmware to the PCM.

Anyone else had the displays act like this and any ideas for a fix - Like I mentioned it's happened twice in a week now.
Reads like they tried to edit the code in the PCM for the light issue and in the process somehow did a bad rebuild or caused a conflict in the programming? Most def a return to sender situation! Extremely annoying for you to have to do this.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I haven't had AMB5 installed yet so I'm just speculating, but when my Taycan had this issue, I discovered that the automatic updates setting was somehow unchecked. Once I re-enabled that in update settings, and all the updates installed, my PCM returned to normal operation. Perhaps the AMB5 installation process unchecked your automatic updates.

OP
OP

Gordy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I haven't had AMB5 installed yet so I'm just speculating, but when my Taycan had this issue, I discovered that the automatic updates setting was somehow unchecked. Once I re-enabled that in update settings, and all the updates installed, my PCM returned to normal operation. Perhaps the AMB5 installation process unchecked your automatic updates.
I double checked, Automatic Updates was still enabled, I unticked and ticked again and tried the manual update check just to be sure, no further updates were available.

I'm going to see if it happens again, if it does then that will be 3 times and it will go back to the dealer.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
FWIW, have you tried to press the center button on the lower center display where you can check and uncheck the different displays (exactly the ones you mentioned)?...

Porsche Taycan No Displays - PCM, Passenger Screen and Center Console 2021-08-03_11.04.45

OP
OP

Gordy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
ok - 3rd time happened again this morning all 3 displays off (but working - radio, parking sensors etc, haptic feedback from center display etc. but all screens blank). Had to reboot in engineering mode to fix it again!.

3 times in just over a week now, it's a complete PITA but back it will go to the dealers..... bloody frustrating.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
FWIW, have you tried to press the center button on the lower center display where you can check and uncheck the different displays (exactly the ones you mentioned)?...

2021-08-03_11.04.45.jpg
Well? Did you?
Once you select/deselect them they may become "more firm" into the system so to speak.
Happened to me on several settings and now it's a 100% score.

OP
OP

Gordy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well? Did you?
Once you select/deselect them they may become "more firm" into the system so to speak.
Happened to me on several settings and now it's a 100% score.
Yes, tried that after the 2nd time the screens went bank -no joy, didn't fix it.

I suspect the dealer screwed something up when they attempted to fix the inverted light issue or it's a by-product fault of the AMB5 update but that seems unlikely as nobody else is reporting the issue post recall.... like I mentioned very annoying and frustrating but back it goes to the dealers again!

Reactions: Dee

nidge

First Name
nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ferrari California, RR sport, Evoque
Country flag

Hi,
can you explain how you Reboot the PCM with 2 finger method. all my screens are blank. dealer takes 3 days to return call. AC currently stuck on last setting and i'm cold!!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi,
can you explain how you Reboot the PCM with 2 finger method. all my screens are blank. dealer takes 3 days to return call. AC currently stuck on last setting and i'm cold!!
Have you tried, 'Hey Porsche, its cold in here' to see if that forces the temp increase (it is a feature so I'm not pulling your leg).

2 finger reboot - top right corner of PCM screen.

Failing that try a complete factory reset - you'll lose some non-Comfort settings etc but frustration may push you this way.

OP
OP

Gordy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
update - when I took it back to the dealership the tech said he hadn’t seen that problem before but did say that they have had lots of pcm issues. He was also not aware of the engineering reboot method and says their equipment automatically puts the pcm into engineering mode for them.
Anyway I was left with them saying they wanted to replace the PCM control unit as the fix, I did mention to him that I didn’t think this was a hardware issue and was likely a software bug but to no avail.
Fast forward a week and I get a call today from opc saying porsche have cancelled all pcm control unit replacements and there is a brand new software update just released to fix the issue apparently, I couldn’t get any more details out of them about it.
car is booked in next week for this new Software update.

Anyone heard anything about another new update?

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
My car went into service today for a follow up to a heads up display issue. I was told they would be installing WMG4 for the 19.2kW charger. They didn’t mention any other software updates.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
update - when I took it back to the dealership the tech said he hadn’t seen that problem before but did say that they have had lots of pcm issues. He was also not aware of the engineering reboot method and says their equipment automatically puts the pcm into engineering mode for them.
Anyway I was left with them saying they wanted to replace the PCM control unit as the fix, I did mention to him that I didn’t think this was a hardware issue and was likely a software bug but to no avail.
Fast forward a week and I get a call today from opc saying porsche have cancelled all pcm control unit replacements and there is a brand new software update just released to fix the issue apparently, I couldn’t get any more details out of them about it.
car is booked in next week for this new Software update.

Anyone heard anything about another new update?
It could be PCM 6.0 which is the default for MY22. Not sure/clear this would be released retrospectively. Wishful thinking on my part.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

If this is what you are experiencing, then I have the same.
Porsche Taycan No Displays - PCM, Passenger Screen and Center Console 5C3CFC72-2E3A-46FC-9137-1FA0501F60FC

As you see the driver display was working and car worked correctly, but I stopped driving and parked to get it going again.

car has been atPorsche dealer for over a week and no resolution as yet.

They cannot communicate or update the PCM in any way. The dealer is in contact with Germany, but their response rate is only once per day! Not impressed by that response by Porsche DE.

OP
OP

Gordy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If this is what you are experiencing, then I have the same.
5C3CFC72-2E3A-46FC-9137-1FA0501F60FC.jpeg

As you see the driver display was working and car worked correctly, but I stopped driving and parked to get it going again.

car has been atPorsche dealer for over a week and no resolution as yet.

They cannot communicate or update the PCM in any way. The dealer is in contact with Germany, but their response rate is only once per day! Not impressed by that response by Porsche DE.
yes this is the same problem (though mine also includes the passenger display also being blank). Never had the problem whilst driving, it's always been when I've unlocked/started the car and they are blank - only workaround I've found is the reboot into engineering mode and back which then turns the screens back on. Problem then comes back randomly after 2-4 days or so.

Let's see what happens with this supposed software fix, I'm due to get next week. ?