No real-time traffic in Porsche Navigation

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
Picked up my Taycan less than a week ago and the dealer was clueless in regards to anything Porsche Connect. I wound up calling Porsche and setting it up myself when I got home.

Almost everything is working; the Connect app, Apple Music, etc... but I have no real time traffic in the Porsche Nav. The service is greyed out on the PCM menu that lists all the connect services and says my subscription expired.

I called connect customer service and the rep seemed confused, she told me to go to the connect store and activate it as a FOD, which I explained shouldn't be, as I believe this is free for 3 years. Regardless, it's not an option on FOD, only two are intelligent range manager and a security system. She opened a case but I have not heard back.

Anybody else have this issue or know how I can remedy it? Thanks
Sponsored

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Picked up my Taycan less than a week ago and the dealer was clueless in regards to anything Porsche Connect. I wound up calling Porsche and setting it up myself when I got home.

Almost everything is working; the Connect app, Apple Music, etc... but I have no real time traffic in the Porsche Nav. The service is greyed out on the PCM menu that lists all the connect services and says my subscription expired.

I called connect customer service and the rep seemed confused, she told me to go to the connect store and activate it as a FOD, which I explained shouldn't be, as I believe this is free for 3 years. Regardless, it's not an option on FOD, only two are intelligent range manager and a security system. She opened a case but I have not heard back.

Anybody else have this issue or know how I can remedy it? Thanks
So far, I have only seen real-time traffic info on the Porsche satnav if I was actually in an active trip guided by such satnav. If anyone knows how to activate it for regular real-time viewing at other moments, please let the forum know.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I find it frustrating and disconcerting that Porsche’s dealer network and customer support team is so willfully ignorant of the technologies associated with their cars. The Connect app is an app that communicates with the entire Porsche line and for a dealer or support representative to be so utterly clueless as to the app’s functionality is borderline negligent. Imagine calling Apple support and speaking with someone who is completely and utterly clueless of the product’s functionality. Like Apple, Porsche creates a premium product and Porsche USA needs to step up its game in training their dealer network and support team about the technology associated with their cars--the Taycan especially as it is a computer on wheels--and the various dealers management needs to become more proactive in ensuring their sales teams and service personnel are conversant in those technologies. The level of apathy at most of the dealers is pathetic.

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I find it frustrating and disconcerting that Porsche’s dealer network and customer support team is so willfully ignorant of the technologies associated with their cars. The Connect app is an app that communicates with the entire Porsche line and for a dealer or support representative to be so utterly clueless as to the app’s functionality is borderline negligent. Imagine calling Apple support and speaking with someone who is completely and utterly clueless of the product’s functionality. Like Apple, Porsche creates a premium product and Porsche USA needs to step up its game in training their dealer network and support team about the technology associated with their cars--the Taycan especially as it is a computer on wheels--and the various dealers management needs to become more proactive in ensuring their sales teams and service personnel are conversant in those technologies. The level of apathy at most of the dealers is pathetic.
in this regard you are spot on, the connect app is nothing new to Porsche, how did they get away with this high level of ineptness? did they contract it out to a french company?

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Honestly Porsche should just delete Connect and start from scratch. Currently the car is better if you don't use it.

As for real time Nav, I've discussed this in another thread but name one car manufacturer that has a Nav system as good as Waze or Google Maps. There is simply no reason for the in car Nav to be a focal point for Porsche when everyone is going to use those two instead anyway.

It makes much more sense for them to use that money to get Android Auto and smooth out the Carplay experience.

OP
OP
smohr33

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
Honestly Porsche should just delete Connect and start from scratch. Currently the car is better if you don't use it.

As for real time Nav, I've discussed this in another thread but name one car manufacturer that has a Nav system as good as Waze or Google Maps. There is simply no reason for the in car Nav to be a focal point for Porsche when everyone is going to use those two instead anyway.

It makes much more sense for them to use that money to get Android Auto and smooth out the Carplay experience.
Agreed. I never use the factory nav on any of my cars, big Google maps fan, but with preheating I figured it might be beneficial to have on in the background. Without traffic it’s useless though, it would have driven me straight into a 30 minute slowdown today.

I will say wireless CarPlay has been very glitchy as well in the less than 1 week I’ve had the car. Took a 150 mile trip today and CarPlay seemed to disconnect every 20 minutes on the leg back. The other day I couldn’t access Apple Music, I would hit the music icon in CarPlay and it would instantly crash.

Good news is the car is just amazing to drive. Averaged 28.4kwh/100mi. Exceeds expectations in terms of range, comfort, and performance.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
in this regard you are spot on, the connect app is nothing new to Porsche, how did they get away with this high level of ineptness? did they contract it out to a french company?
Now, now it’s not done in France! I actually have got replies to Sue’s from the app support and that came from the US!!

But the Fact is that the app with its connectivity to the car is so substandard it cannot be believed. Even our old 2011 BMW had much better app and functionality. And it worked every time

RoseyPSU

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Aston Martin Vantage
Country flag
I will say wireless CarPlay has been very glitchy as well in the less than 1 week I’ve had the car. Took a 150 mile trip today and CarPlay seemed to disconnect every 20 minutes on the leg back. The other day I couldn’t access Apple Music, I would hit the music icon in CarPlay and it would instantly crash.
FYI, the Apple Music crash in CarPlay appears to be a CarPlay issue, not a Porsche issue: https://9to5mac.com/2021/05/18/apple-music-app-crash-carplay-ios-14-5-1/

Alemany

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 600LT, Nissan GTR, Tesla P100D, MiniCooper Cooper limited edition, Taycan Turbo S (ordered), Giulia Quadrafoglio
Country flag

Tesla - their navigation is basically google.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Polestar!
Guess that is all Google, Android anyhow!

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Seeing as the PCM navigations "satellite" view is from Google, is the normal mapping data not Google too?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Seeing as the PCM navigations "satellite" view is from Google, is the normal mapping data not Google too?
The navigation map data is from HERE, ex NavTec etc. I think the German car manufactures bought that. The map data is the same in the Audi, and has exactly the same problems with incorrect maps as Porsche. This map data for me has not been updated since 2003 when I had the same issues in a Cayenne.

The traffic information was much better in the Audi though and displayed properly.

I do not know from which provider Porsche gets the traffic info as well as the database for speed data etc. But it does not seem to be from Google.
Sponsored