Noise from the wheel arch of a Taycan

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
This looks like a prime candidate for having some sort of a mesh wire to protect from debris.
Would it be possible to attach a mesh wire cutout (of the same polygonal shape) and hold in place with 5-6 screws.
What is the surrounding material, is it 'plastic' or a 'felt' like material?
Post #13 ! :)
Sponsored

Mad Pat 66

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
This looks like a prime candidate for having some sort of a mesh wire to protect from debris.
Would it be possible to attach a mesh wire cutout (of the same polygonal shape) and hold in place with 5-6 screws.
What is the surrounding material, is it 'plastic' or a 'felt' like material?
It’s a combination of plastic and a felt like material. There has to be a Porsche modification in the future otherwise there will be an avalanche of complaints. On the face of it you would think it couldn’t be too hard to come up with a solution.

Soundman56

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo 4
Country flag
It is not sold or advertised as an 'off roader' and is a 'soft roader' at best.

Notwithstanding that does sound like a design flaw (one of several).

Warranty would cover it in UK for sure.
My wife’s CT4 has had this issue and Porsche originally said not covered by warranty. When I queried how a car with a “Gravel Mode” would not be covered for a problem with gravel they fixed it for free.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
My wife’s CT4 has had this issue and Porsche originally said not covered by warranty. When I queried how a car with a “Gravel Mode” would not be covered for a problem with gravel they fixed it for free.
Pedants the lot of them!

OP
OP
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Well it looks like I might have this very problem as of arriving home today! Bringing it in to the dealer tomorrow AM to sort out!
All Taycan owners will have this issue, don’t be fobbed off it is a warranty issue. Could just require a clean out, but if the fans are seized it’s warranty.

AliGP

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5, i4, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am having the same issue. Initially told it would be a £2500 bill - then had a call from Porsche Bolton who implied it will be dealt with under warranty.

Mad Pat 66

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
All Taycan owners will have this issue, don’t be fobbed off it is a warranty issue. Could just require a clean out, but if the fans are seized it’s warranty.
Porsche will try hard not to acknowledge this as a warranty issue but don’t take no for an answer; the design is fundamentally flawed and there will have to be a modification in future models. I persevered after finding both cooling fans were totally blocked with road debris and Porsche finally gave in, but not without a fight.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Bit of a ref herring here - I had minor damage to the plastic cover beneath the fan (road debris from our wonderful Houston streets!) ) with the result that it temporarily pushed the area around the attachment to the felt/plastic wheel liner against the fan housing which in turn caused the noise I was hearing - I purchased and replaced the plastic bits (super easy) and triple checked all was AOK with fan and housing which it was - no issues - so def not the same as discussed here.

AliGP

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5, i4, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Porsche will try hard not to acknowledge this as a warranty issue but don’t take no for an answer; the design is fundamentally flawed and there will have to be a modification in future models. I persevered after finding both cooling fans were totally blocked with road debris and Porsche finally gave in, but not without a fight.
Can I ask how long this took to resolve with Porsche? I'm getting the feeling they are trying to fob me off and refusing to cover under warranty.

Mad Pat 66

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Can I ask how long this took to resolve with Porsche? I'm getting the feeling they are trying to fob me off and refusing to cover under warranty.
It took me 7 days to convince them of the error of their ways, but I’d only reached Defcon 3 before they conceded.
If they are being difficult, refer them to all the Worldwide posts highlighting this issue. As I said in earlier posts, it’s an obvious fundamental design flaw and 99 out of 100 people would agree with that . . . the other designed the Taycan.

NickUK

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A35
Country flag
I've just been hit with this (I think it's the same) - 'fault codes stored for both radiator and condenser fans blocked - require replacement fans as fans being blocked and not operating, does not provide adequate cooling to components'

They want £3700 and say its not covered under warranty (OPC Reading).

Does this sound the same? Do I just keep (politely) pushing back and reference the others that were replaced under warranty?

Thanks

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
I've just been hit with this (I think it's the same) - 'fault codes stored for both radiator and condenser fans blocked - require replacement fans as fans being blocked and not operating, does not provide adequate cooling to components'

Does this sound the same? Do I just keep (politely) pushing back and reference the others that were replaced under warranty?

Thanks
It's a design flaw. How can it not be covered under warranty? Do they think you shoved rocks up inside that fan housing on purpose? What do they say about the TSB?

Mad Pat 66

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag

Thanks
I would push back strongly, point out that is an obvious design flaw and that Worldwide they have been replaced under warranty and why should yours be any different.

NickUK

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A35
Country flag
Update: I left the OPC on 8th Aug having advised them, politely, that I expected the work to be completed under warranty. I said I'd looked on forums and numerous other people had experienced a similar issue and were not charged for the repairs. I highlighted it appeared to be a design fault.

The service advisor said he'd look in to it for me.

I was back there today to have a tyre replaced and he said he had an update. Porsche Customer Care has agreed to pay £3k of the cost, leaving me £700 to pay.

I thanked him, politely declined the offer and said that if they can cover £3k of the cost then it sounds like they can cover all of it. I asked what the next steps were in terms of escalation and he said he'd take this back to Customer Care whilst the tyre was being replaced.

An hour or so later, my tyre had been replaced and he said that the Porsche Customer Care offer was final but that the OPC would cover the remaining £700 as a gesture of goodwill and in respect of my loyalty to the brand and dealership.

So, officially, it's not covered under warranty, but clearly they recognise that it's on them to resolve any issues arising from what appears to be a design flaw (albeit reluctantly).

If this happens to anyone else - stay polite and patient, and don't take no for an answer!

Thanks for the advice and encouragement of other posters on this topic, this is the sort of thing forums were made for!
Sponsored